Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Kinespring operation  (Read 71949 times)

Offline bendzeknees

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Kinespring operation
« on: September 26, 2012, 03:11:12 PM »
I've just had this done (25/9) and and other than the manufacturers website and excellent support from my surgeon, I  found general information for potential patients written by patients to be very lacking (obv due to lack of numbers having had the procedure).  I'll add information over the next few weeks on how things have turned out for me.

Background - 47 yr old, active in sports, current alpine race coach (part time). 2 previous menisectomies show grade 3/4 medial osteoarthritis.

Decision was HTO or Kinespring.  Uni-compartmental knee replacement was the least favorable due to my high level of sporting activity/age and was deemed very likely to wear out too quickly.

Offline bendzeknees

• Regular Poster
Re: Kinespring operation
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 03:19:44 PM »
25/9 - straightforward procedure. Spinal anaesthesia, femoral nerve block. Opted for sedation during the procedure. Was completely comfortable throughout. Good first night in hospital, slept on and off but no pain whatsoever. By 8 a.m today I was upright, self supporting and had good mobility.  Physio commenced excercises by 9 a.m and instructed to use crutches for 2 weeks with low level excercises to begin with.

So far so good. Last of 3 blocks is just starting to wearing off now, concentrated around the knee itself.

Offline bendzeknees

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 11:21:33 PM »
2nd day post-op. Moderate pain today as the local anasethetic runs out. Knee has stiffened quite a bit despite keeping up with physio excercises. Also very swollen. Have kept mobile but used my crutches a lot today. Despite the chanage today it has not kept me from doing anything that I managed the day before, I just had to be more cautious of movement.   

Offline Apleyboy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 07:13:41 PM »
Keep Posting please I in the Same Situation very Little Info and op Date Booked6.12 ,will be Good to hear how you Progress

Offline bendzeknees

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 10:13:43 PM »
Area around the knee remained stiff today. Certainly aware of exactly where the fixings are on the tibia and femur. Knee had slight spasms around the operated area. It wasn't painful as such but as I reacted to these mini spasm/cramp episodes I overstretched my leg a few times which didn't help the discomfort. Today I have been able to move around on crutches, doing excercises and moving up and down stairs quite freely using crutches and handrail.

Overall I would say I was on par with yesterday.

Knee is still quite swollen and perhaps this is restricting my movement,  despite keeping up with recommended meds,  I am struggling to bend my knee close to 90 deg just now. 

Walking around also induced a lot of discomfort down the centre of my shin and a burning sensation around the side of the knee.

Definitely a day of change and adjustment to what is now attached to the leg bones! Overall I have stayed mobile and can persevere with what I need to do.

Offline Apleyboy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 06:15:56 AM »
How are you doing nö Post the Last couple of days make me think Something is wrong Hope Progress is steady Even if Slow
I ve got my Date 6.12.12 to have the Spring fitted so looking forward to Reading your Info.

Offline bendzeknees

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 07:49:25 PM »
Thanks for the message Apleyboy, I'm doing very well. Was going to leave posting over the weekend and update last night (Monday). Was very tired and decided on an early night.

Saturday (post op day 4) -  knee stiffness continued, but I kept up exercises. Got out for a longer walk, instead of around the house and up/down stairs. Had to rest a lot in the evening.

Sunday (post op day 5) - discomfort subsided and the general tightness which was the cause of the discomfort had allowed me to bend my knee more. I couldn't bend my knee when sitting into a 90deg position without helping pull my leg in. Also swinging my leg in and out of bed caused a real feeling of intense heat around my knee. I guess that was just the tightness. Spent more time walking around the house without crutches. Anything other than fairly mild exercise requires me to be supported as the knee to low shin feels quite stressed.

Monday (post op day 6) - rather strange today as noticed the swelling had subsided noticeably. After a few hours of being up and about I had a couple of quite severe cramp periods. Back of knee and calf. By the afternoon all was well and walking around was much easier. Knee was bending as I walked in a fairly normal gait, albeit restricted. Big breakthrough day. Walking up and down stairs using handrail only.   Cut back on meds as it was only mildly uncomfortable. 

Tuesday -  swelling down more, walking around the house without crutches. Bending my knee to 90 deg or more unaided. Reps of stretching exercises increasing and feeling that I'm well on the road to recovery at this point.

Post op day 3-5 was the height of my moderate pain & discomfort. Quite tolerable with meds.

Offline bendzeknees

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 08:18:52 PM »
Post op day 4

Wound on the (top) picture left is from an arthroscopy which was carried out at the same time. Marks at the top of the leg are from various blocks which were done after the spinal anaesthesia. Completely pain free when blocks were done and extremely beneficial over the next few days.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 08:23:14 PM by bendzeknees »

Offline bendzeknees

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 08:21:01 PM »
Post op day 5

Offline Apleyboy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 06:25:32 PM »
Thanks for the latest Update Sound like you doing well ,the Photo do Show diffrece Between days Good ,
Keeping going ,

Offline dietrichate

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 07:02:29 PM »
Hi, very interested in your progress as i am due to have one of these fitted on Nov 13th. I have a couple of questions for you:

prior to your op, what level of exercise were you able to achieve?

Did you go through the usual arthroscopy before this op?

Where did you have the surgery done?

What are the expectations for returning to your sports?

I will keep a close eye on progress over the coming weeks!

Offline bendzeknees

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 01:01:25 PM »
Progress has been mixed over the last few days. Problem area is just below the knee on where the bottom of the Kinespring is attached to the tibia. The muscles from below the knee all the way down the shin area get quite tight and it feels uncomfortable to stand. I've also had a tight, cramp like feeling in the area around the Kinespring during the night which was painful. My lower leg and ankle became quite swollen. I find it difficult to get my leg into a comfortable resting position, more so when lying in bed over the last few nights. I am very aware of where the spring is. I have kept up all physio exercises. I returned to driving on Tuesday which is fine as long as my leg is fairly straight. I have no problem with control of foot pedals and power through the leg is not an issue.

Offline bendzeknees

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 01:14:19 PM »
Hi, very interested in your progress as i am due to have one of these fitted on Nov 13th. I have a couple of questions for you:

prior to your op, what level of exercise were you able to achieve?

Did you go through the usual arthroscopy before this op?

Where did you have the surgery done?

What are the expectations for returning to your sports?

I will keep a close eye on progress over the coming weeks!

My exercise level had dropped off a lot. Tennis, badminton almost unable to take part at all over last 18 months.  Swimming, cycling restricted. Walking, down to about 2-3 miles on flattish ground and avoided doing any mountain/hill walking.

2 previous arthrothscopies for repair of torn meniscus. June 2011 & April 2012.

Surgery was carried out in Glasgow.

My expectations are for a near full return to sporting activities. Probably scale back on impact sports which caused me problems as my condition worsened, such as tennis.

Alpine racing is my main sporting activity (as a coach) and I would hope to be back at the level I was at 2 years ago when I realised I had a problem.     

Offline dietrichate

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 08:05:03 PM »
Thanks for the update - similar experience to me, I must admit I am pretty nervous about the whole thing, Keep the updates coming

Offline bendzeknees

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 10:15:54 PM »
2 weeks in and things are improving. More physio today, caught up with my surgeon and all in all things are going the right way.

Discomfort has dropped off, swelling is starting to fade and definitely more natural movement around the knee. Sleeping well (not that I had any real issues) and can move around easily during the night instead of being too careful about sudden moves etc.

Leg is still swollen, particularly down at my ankle. Walking up stairs unaided is just about do-able but requires effort. Tried walking without crutches yesterday, no more than 1.5 miles and it was ok. I reckon that was about right for me at this stage. 

Couple of snaps showing current view of the leg.

support