Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Pain 2 months after ORIF tibial plateau fracture...  (Read 2422 times)

Offline MamaMischief

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Pain 2 months after ORIF tibial plateau fracture...
« on: September 24, 2012, 10:46:31 PM »
I had a ORIF tibial plateau fracture repair surgery on July 26th,  I have been having serious pain issues since. I am also a type 1 diabetic who is allergic to hydrocodone and have a long, documented history of having issues with painkillers not working properly (not helping pain). I have been struggling with my doctors / nurses, who despite the fact that I've fallen on my injured knee twice, and have been talking with them about the pain issues since the week after my surgery.. just to get them to even look at it. I was responding somewhat to percocet, but after two weeks of being on Percocet 7.5 (one to two every four to six hours) at three weeks I was told to "deal with it" due to the allergy to hydrocodone and horrible side effects with Ultram. I've never used more than was prescribed, or had any issues with being "drowsy or out of it", much less felt like I was addicted in any way. I'm aware that they don't like to prescribe painkillers for long periods of time, but when I ask WHY it still hurts (even two months out) I get no answer... except for "it shouldn't hurt that much".  ::)

I have been in physical therapy, used ice and elevation; and probably every over the counter pain relief available...  and have asked about pain mangagement (due to several people recommending it, including my physical therapist), all to no avail.  I'm at my wits end... I've tried benadryl and several night time pain relievers with no increase in my sleep (I wake up about every twenty minutes due to sharp pain in knee). Is there anything else that I haven't tried?

Has anyone else had this much pain this long after surgery? If so, I'm curious as to the cause...
Tibial plateau fracture 6/15/12
ORIF surgery 6/28/12
No brace           
PT 2x per week and 3x daily at home
NWB as of 6/15/12

Offline MamaMischief

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Pain 2 months after ORIF tibial plateau fracture...
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 12:56:19 AM »
I saw my OS yesterday... not very productive, to say the least. He kept mentioning that the Xray didn't show anything, which is good. My questions about the pain were met with the most exquisite bedside manner (that statement is heavily coated with sarcasm). I was there to find out why it hurt, he acted like it was in my head... "suck it up" was the response. As for my questions about anything else I could do to reduce pain and improve motion, he didn't answer... just went on about how I'm not doing my excercises (not true in the least, except for three days after I fell on the knee) I have been doing them 3x per day, coming close to tears each time. I was doing much better the fourth week post op than I am now, it's driving me insane.

I wasn't asking for anything except an assurance of the issue being considered or at the very least possibly investigated for other problems..has anyone else had issues with work comp issues being blatantly ignored?

I'm sorry for venting, it's just maddening... surely, someone out there has been more frustrated.
Tibial plateau fracture 6/15/12
ORIF surgery 6/28/12
No brace           
PT 2x per week and 3x daily at home
NWB as of 6/15/12

Offline Kneecandy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Pain 2 months after ORIF tibial plateau fracture...
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 02:45:18 AM »
I get the same thing from my OS too, it's been six months and all I get is "get used to it, that's as good as it gets"-  gets frustrating always being in pain...people & docs always act like its in your head and don't seem to realize how grumpy and miserable it makes your whole life when you are constantly in pain. I wish I can tell you it gets better, for the lucky ones maybe, but I'm not there yet either. I'm starting to forget what it was like to wake up & feel fine or how nice it was to sleep more than a couple hours....
6/16/12 motorcycle accident TPF #6
6/16/12  surgery external fixator
7/2/12.    Surgery 2 plates, 8 screws, bone graft NWB
7/19/12   56staples out, thigh to toe cast NWB
8/2/12.    Cast off, brace w/rom set @30 NWB
9/20/12.  WBAT
10/2/12.   PT / driving 60 rom
11/15/12  80 Rom, wbat
7/13 HWR

support