Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Unable to squat / climb down stairs even 1.5 years after injury  (Read 3573 times)

Offline menyps

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Unable to squat / climb down stairs even 1.5 years after injury
« on: September 24, 2012, 08:58:18 PM »
Background

Obese 24 year old male.

Early 2011, during a particularly enthusiastic game of football (soccer), I jumped up to head the ball when I felt a pop sound on my right knee and fell down. I could not stand up, and it would not bear my weight. It swelled up quickly into the night. The ortho who saw me a day later had to perform aspiration to remove synovial fluid. I was recommended for physiotherapy.

After 2 weeks of Interferential currents, quad sets and single leg raises, I was finally able to walk (I used crutches till then). I finally met with a good orthosurgeon who recommended me for an MRI. The results of the MRI said:

* none or minimal ACL damage
 * none or minimal meniscal damage
 * Contussion in the femur bone

The doc recommended a few stretching exercises, and more SLRs and quad sets. I met him every month till I had to move city (for my job) in mid 2011. By now, I was walking without pain, but still could not put weight on my right knee and bend - i.e, not able to climb down stairs without dropping onto the next one. No squats.

Current

Fast forward to March 2012, when I decided to do something serious about this pain. I consulted another orthosurgeon who told me this was "patellofemoral" pain. He recommended that I hit the gym for leg presses and curls along with glucosamine supplements. I was also told to avoid leg extensions, and told that I had to strengthen my VMO. I underwent a few sessions of russian currents as well to kickstart the VMO.

I began religiously hitting the gym. In the process I have dropped around 20 pounds (now I'm only overweight ;D), and I can now leg press around 120 pounds (though my weight is 180+). I have also begun able to walk longer distances. I recently walked 5 miles on one day with only little discomfort.

Issues

However, I still cannot

* Run -> Running even one step or landing on my right knee causes pain.
* Jump -> Cannot extend my right knee without fear. Landing also causes pain.
* Cannot bend knee with weight -> no climbing downstairs. No free bodyweight squats.

It's been more than 1.5 years since the injury. More than 7-8 months of thorough effort. Will I ever be able to run again?  Has anyone faced similar issues? Is it just a patellofemoral syndrome? What might be a timeline I should be looking at?

Any advice to keep strong and going?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:04:31 PM by menyps »

Offline DG3

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Unable to squat / climb down stairs even 1.5 years after injury
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 03:16:05 AM »
Sucks that NO ONE even bothered replying.

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 02:57:35 AM »
Why do you assume that "no-one bothered" replying? It's far more likely that none of the people who saw this post had similar issues, and didn't feel they had useful information to share with the poster. Your own reply is hardly constructive or helpful - why not spend some time checking out the hundreds of threads on this forum where people have offered advice and support to one another, or see if you can find threads that you can make useful contributions to in your own right? That would be a far more positive approach to this forum than jumping straight in with critical, unhelpful comments.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 02:38:12 PM »
Oh DG3 what a helpful comment that was! I'm sure it will inspire many of the regulars and new members here to offer advice on your own thread!  ::)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline captainruss

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 05:09:32 AM »
DG3,

I agree totally.....as 316 people viewed this thread and the only other replies besides yours was to complain about you, not offer support or ideas to the original poster.  I am a regular and was smacked around because my offerings of support and advice were called too long and biased!  I was only trying to offer support, but was taken to the wood shed because I type too much!

Menyps:

Hey brother.....in my opinion you have suffered way too long.  I am not a doctor, so I offer no medical advice but do suggest you get as many opinions as the health care system where you live permits and not rely on any one doctor or exam (MRI).  In my situation, I posted on here and had many people view my thread, but few replied.  You need to post 20 times either in a thread or utilizing the game section to be able to send private messages (PM) to other KG posters!  So, you need to do that and then you can ask direct questions privately.  I will help any way I can....but much of what I can offer is simply what I did wrong, not what you should do.

Pain is not acceptable....I would suggest you look at the Pain Patients Survival Guide by Dr. Forest....just google it and it will pop up.  It helped me extensively.  Also, where are you at??  That would be helpful in suggesting or not suggesting what you might try.

I am not fat....but I would define my figure as pleasantly plump!  With that said, obviously weight is not good for your knee, but the pain is most likely due to an injury that will not get better until some sort of care is provided.  Do you have swelling, pain, redness, heat???  Inflammation???  That is an indicator of problems....but the pain is the #1 indicator of problems.

You are way too young to be in this much pain....but there are treatments.....you just need to get with the right doctor to diagnose it.  I find that I should have waited for the head barber.....translation I went to a recommended surgeon who told me a TKR at 47 would make me pain free for 10 years.  Wrong answer.  Now I am in a small percentage who have complications, but you must be as aware of the possible complications as you are of the possible procedures that may relieve your pain.

Anyway, feel free to send me a PM or if you want, I can give you my email address.  The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.....DG3.....don't worry brother.....some day we will be free to express ourselves here free of redress!!!  I was frustrated three years ago when I first posted here and hundreds read my request for help but no one answered.....I was in between OS#2 and OS #3 when Pam finally started helping me extensively.....I appreciate her help...but really wish someone would have just taken the time to answer early on.

Merry Christmas!!!!  FREE ME!!!!!

Russ
80 Shattered patella 5 surg
09  TKR 
09  MUA
09  MUA
09  Knee infected??
10  TKR  Scar Tissue
10  2nd OS  Diagnosis Infection
10  TKR with antibiotic spacer, no joint
4/11  TKR
11  TKR PT
11  TKR
11  TKR  AF diagosis
12/11  HO diagnosed
2012  Intractable Pain
2012  OS split
amputation possible?

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 02:43:47 AM »
Russ - You have a lot to offer in knowledge, but take a step back from your situation and realize not everyone will follow the same path. Once you do that, you'll find it's easier to offfer your thoughts with less backlash. Take notice that one knee injury problem is not like the other. Ergo... I don't post on ACL threads for example because I have little knowledge and experience with. Knee injuries are not interchangeable. So it is possible a lot of people did read the thread but did not comment. We have a lot of combined knowledge around here, but sometimes we just don't always have an answer. Guessing and throwing out answers just to answer could cause someone more harm then good.

04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 03:04:32 AM »
Russ, as one of the previous posters I take issue with your post on two counts. First is that regardless of the "support" that you've included, its primary purpose is clearly to take a swipe at other people's comments on your own posts. If you have a problem, please be upfront and deal with it directly with the people concerned rather than using unrelated threads to post thinly veiled criticism of other forum members. Second, given that DG3 is a brand-new user who chose to resurrect this old thread with a negative comment, I think it's worth pointing out that his/her tone really isn't in the spirit of the supportive environment that's encouraged here, and is unlikely to encourage interaction with other forum members.

As for the times that other users have asked you to reconsider some of your own posts, have you ever really taken the time to reflect on why this is? I would never dispute that you mean well, and have a wealth of knee experience to draw on. But you don't discriminate at all when you respond to posts, and apply blanket advice to people regardless of whether they're considering a lateral release or experiencing basic rehab difficulties following a meniscus repair. As a result, the advice you offer is sometimes inappropriate and occasionally borderline dangerous. I've spoken up before in the latter case - specifically, in a thread where you were trying to push someone who was just barely out of surgery into intractable pain management.

No-one wants you to stop posting on this site; in fact all of the regular posters here are happy to have people with extensive experience active on the forum. But I would implore you to try and be a bit more selective when you respond to specific problems - and rather than complain about others who try and offer advice, perhaps stop and think about why they feel the need to offer it.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 08:21:24 AM by Snowy »
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline RLE

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 04:54:25 AM »
Sucks that NO ONE even bothered replying.
I find your post ironic.
Accident 2011: permanent dislocation, hole under the patella, bone fragments/debris embedded, scar tissue, 3 torn ligaments, fracture, cartilage sheared off, contracture,
2011 MUA
PT on-going
2012 MPFL reconstruction,TTT
        TTT
        Lateral lengthenin
        Arthroscopy/clean out
Thx Dr. T

support