Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: almost 6 months post op ACI and TTO  (Read 10791 times)

Offline bball123

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
almost 6 months post op ACI and TTO
« on: September 22, 2012, 02:17:26 AM »
I didn't do a diary on here for my ACI and TTO like I did for one of my other surgeries, but I just wanted to drop by and say a few things. I know this website helped me before my surgery so i hope this is helpful for anyone who is having or recently had the ACI/TTO procedure. 

at 5 1/2 months post op i feel pretty darn good. i still have restrictions (no running or jumping, meaning no playing sports) but i can do everything i need to do to function on a daily basis. As far as pain goes, i have very little. I notice there are some things I do that result in pain, so I have been trying to avoid those things (if possible). For example, wearing flip flops!!! I thought it was sort of strange, but I have tried it many times and it ALWAYS results in pain. Before surgery, I never noticed that my choice of shoe affected my pain level but it does now. It is only a small price I have to pay though in comparison to how I feel now vs pre surgery. Another thing I notice causes pain is if I'm on my feet for a really long time. I can manage the school day, but on the days where I go to work after school that sometimes gets me a little sore. Something I can't really avoid because i have to work, but the pain is not nearly as bad as before surgery so I don't mind too much. I have NO pain with the elliptical and little to no pain (depends on the day) with stairs.

my OS had told me I wouldn't start really seeing results until 6 months post op when the cartilage graft is beginning to harden and become "normal" but I feel awesome. I am no longer in PT (have been done with it for about a month), but I do the elliptical and my exercises as often as I can. Overall, I am beyond thrilled with the results of this surgery. I can't wait for my 6 month post op visit so I can tell my OS how great I feel.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask

Offline bball123

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: almost 6 months post op ACI and TTO
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 09:39:13 PM »
*note-

please don't private message me because my PM feature was disabled due to my age

Offline Flyinglion

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 04:25:30 PM »
Where were your defect(s)?
Do you experience any sensitivity to the screws at the TTO site?
At 6 months out do you experience swelling after working out or periods of walking? 

I had Denovo NT on multiple defects +TTO and a lateral release.  I am 21 weeks out today.  Overall I think I am doing ok but not sure how to judge it.  My biggest concern  is swelling in my right knee after moderate workouts like (I am only cleared to bike and ellipitical machines).
February 2011 - Injured right knee playing indoor soccer
April 2011 - MRI showed patella & trochlea grade 4 kissing defects
June 2011 - Right Knee Scope/ACI Biopsy
November 2011 - Synvisc Injections
May 31, 2012  - Denovo NT Patella & Trochela, Lateral Release/TTO/MPFL Reconstruction

Offline Alysmom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 11:20:12 PM »
Hi.  I wont bore you with long history of my 20 year old daughter, but it is similar to yours.  She attends school in boston, is an athlete, and is recovering well from the same surgery and same doctor.  She is a few months behind you though.  How are things going now?

Offline bball123

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 01:17:55 AM »
flyinglion,

I don't know the exact size of my defects, but the majority of the damage was under my kneecap. (with a little bit on the trochlea) I do have a good amount of sensitivity around my screw site. I used to think it was just the scar but it's only at the bottom of the scar under my kneecap which I know is where the screws are. I cannot kneel on that knee... no pain but VERY uncomfortable due to the fact that the bump under my kneecap is bigger because of the moving of the tibial tubercle. It feels numb and tingly sort of. Also, I get the numb/tingly feeling for a second whenever I bump that part of my knee on something or if I am sitting at a table and bump (or even lightly touch) knees with someone else. It only lasts a few seconds but it's a very weird feeling. I do not notice any swelling in my knee, but it was my understanding that it was normal (for my procedure at least) to have swelling up to 9 months post-op. Good luck with the rest of your recovery!

Alysmom,

I'm glad to hear your daughter is doing well. I could not be happier and I am SO thankful to have found the amazing Dr. Gomoll!! I don't know what I would do if it weren't for him. Things are going great for me right now. I feel awesome on a regular basis and even with moderate exercise. Honestly, I feel like the pain is still improving... like on a month to month basis. Last time I wrote I was having a little trouble making it through school and work, but now I rarely struggle with that. I do still have restrictions (as you probably know from your daughter) but I can function normally and I am confident that it is only up from here.

I'm a little nervous to start running and increasing my activity level, but I'm trying not to worry about that yet. (it probably won't happen until 12-18 months post-op anyways)  It will definitely be strange because I haven't run in so long. My next doctors appointment will be at 1 year post-op in April.

Offline Alysmom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 03:48:31 AM »
Thanks for the good news.  Aly has her 6 month check up on tuesday. Things continue to go well. Please keep in touch...

Offline Flyinglion

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 03:21:38 PM »
Bbal123,

Thanks for the updates.  My recovery seems to be similar to yours. I too have that numb/pin & needles feeling around my TTO site.  It drives nuts. My doc wants to go in at 12 months are remove screws and do a quick scope of the graft to determine % fill. Not sure if I want to thought.  My pt mentioned doing a gentle massage in the area will gradually help alleviate some of the sensitivity.
February 2011 - Injured right knee playing indoor soccer
April 2011 - MRI showed patella & trochlea grade 4 kissing defects
June 2011 - Right Knee Scope/ACI Biopsy
November 2011 - Synvisc Injections
May 31, 2012  - Denovo NT Patella & Trochela, Lateral Release/TTO/MPFL Reconstruction

Offline Alysmom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 11:06:12 PM »
By the way bball123.....i am very impressed with the research you have done and your writing skills are impressive.  Did you have an mri at 6 months?  what did it show?
Alycia does not seem to complain about the sensitivity of the pins.  She works out daily.....lots of upper body stuff and bikes and uses anti gravity tradmill when its available. She goes to pt once a week.  Will see how things have progressed tomorrow..

Offline bball123

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 12:44:25 AM »
Alysmom,

Thanks! I definitely have done a lot of research. I needed to make sure I was making the right decision :) I remember after my surgery I wondered if I would ever have a follow up MRI. I didn't at my 6 month visit, maybe at the one year appt.

The screw site is sensitive, although I'm not too eager to go under the knife again... even if it is just for a screw removal. If they really start to bother me at least I know that is an option! I kind of wish I was still in PT. Even if it was just once a week it is much more "fun" to work out in the pt place than by myself... That could just be me though haha.  After all, I have known most of the people at PT since I was 12.

How did your daughter's appt go yesterday?

I will try to keep posting... if and when I have something interesting to say! I think it is important for people who are considering this procedure, or who have recently undergone it, to read about the "success" stories. A lot of the people on this site have found their way here because of something that went wrong. In the research that I did before my surgery I read a lot of things on here, probably more bad than good. But the good things made me sure that I was making the right decision. Most importantly, though, you just have to trust your doctor. Dr. Gomoll seemed so confident that this was the right decision for me, which helped SO MUCH in my decision to go through with the procedure.

Offline Alysmom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 11:35:11 AM »
Hi bball. My daughter had an mri just before we saw dr.g.  As a college athlete who hopes to return to competitive sport, she works out several times a week and has even returned to pt once a week as she too missed that. She admits that the knee hurts after exercising it and doc believes it is from the weak muscles.
It looks like the cartilage is growing as it should and she more or less has to listen to her knee as she progresses....taking it easy.....i think whats hard for her is not having a timetable of when to do what.....but everyone heals differently. So for now she continues on the bike......and doing exercises.
Unless something bothers her we dont see dr.G for another 6 months...
Good luck to you......

Offline Alysmom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 02:39:54 AM »
Hey bball.  How did your one year check up go?  How is the knee doing?  Aly is making progress. We see dr. G tomorrow.

Offline bball123

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 03:34:29 AM »
Alysmom,

My one year check up went great! Dr. G said my knee looks awesome, his PA felt the graft (didn't know this was possible!) and she said it feels just like it is supposed to. I go back in one year and then I don't have to see him after my 2 year appt. (provided I have no problems)

My knee feels amazing. Although I'm still not able to do some things that others do everyday, I am adjusting to this being my new normal. I am unable to kneel on my knee on any surface other than my bed. I can't run or play sports like many my age do so often, but I'm okay with that. I have simply figured out ways around those things like kneeling and have come up with other ways to be active that don't include running. I can do the elliptical, walk, and climb stairs, all with minimal (if any) pain. Compared to how I was before surgery, it is incredible that I can do these things with so little pain. All in all, I am so glad that I went ahead with the surgery and I couldn't be happier with the results and my quality of life now.

How did your daughter's check up go?

Offline Alysmom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 10:43:43 PM »
Hi bball.  Things went very well and she got the green light to start rowing again.  However, the screws are painful , especially when rowing or on the erg.....and she has planned to take them out.  Dr. Said its an easy surgery....
Good luck to you!

Offline xclaxmom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 10:21:06 PM »
Thx bball123 and alysmom for the updates. We live in Nevada, I wish your doctor was closer for my 16 year old daughter to see him. 

Offline KBNorcal

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 06:59:57 PM »
Thank you for sharing - I am having TTO & ACI on Nov 21st 2013 and have been reading as much information as possible in regards to this surgery.  I had no choice but to have the surgery since I fell down my stairs and dislocated my knee for the gazillionth time. However, this is the first dislocation since my lateral release 5 years ago. I think it was 'the straw that broke the crappy knee's back" because now it dislocates every time it is at a 30degree angle and worse when there is weight on that leg.  BONUS - I have a 7 month old to take care of during my recovery. I have an amazing husband and my parents are going to help out but I am still freaking out. I know it will be a long road.  Also, I won't be able to nurse her while on the 'really good' pain meds. She's not going to understand that... BUT from your blog and others it sounds like the results are worth it. I want to be able to take my daughter hiking and hopefully skiing one day. Mommas gotta do it!

Any new updates would be appreciated or even things I need to prepare for. My ACI will be implanted behind my patella - my OS said this makes recovery easier because I can be weight bearing sooner than if it was implanted between my tibia and femur.

Thank you

support