Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: PKR and Athletic Activity  (Read 4259 times)

Offline mcirish

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
  • Attitude=Altitude
PKR and Athletic Activity
« on: September 16, 2012, 09:29:14 AM »
Hi, I am a 48 y.o. male and I am considering getting a PKR. I have a OA fairly severe on the lateral side of my left knee. My question is will I still be able to enjoy outdoor activities (hiking, golf, occasional running/biking etc? I am told that these things are possible, but the activity can also seriously shorten the lifespan of the hardware. Has anyone received a PKR and still led an active lifestyle?

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
Re: PKR and Athletic Activity
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 02:06:12 AM »
Hi there,

I have two medial PKRs and consider them a blessing.  I teach and am on my feet all day without problems.  I am very comfortable walking and have no issues on uneven ground.  I had to build up strength for multiple flights of stairs, but have gotten there, and have no problems on uneven ground-so I think your hiking is in.  If you check on Seerobinbike you will find that biking is one of her loves and she is very comfortable doing that-in fact it is one of the recommended activities.  So is swimming.  I am not a golfer, but I know that for my hardware it is okay.   Heavy pounding is not, so keep the running to a minimum, no heavy weight lifting etc.  Keeping yourself active and strong and maintaining a healthy weight are what will make your knee last longer.  From what I have read in journal articles a PKR should last at least 15 years for the majority if they were carefully chosen.  The early conversions to TKRs are often done for people whose other half goes to pot(not chosen appropriately for PKR), not any more hardware issues than a TKR.

Good luck as you make your decision. :)

Linda
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012