Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Post hardware removal patella  (Read 971 times)

Offline Mrs.W

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Post hardware removal patella
« on: September 16, 2012, 07:57:07 AM »
Hi all .... I'm approx 9 months post op from removal of 2 cannulated screws and figure 8 wire from left patella. Had a horizontal fracture in 2002- almost 10 years with hardware in. Both surgeries were a difficult recovery. Hardware was doing a serious number on me so I'm glad it's OUT...... By still feeling a deep ache and also my other knee is now starting to become unhappy. I'm 37!! Anyone have any idea how long bone takes to refill?? Can't find info on Internet and my doctor said 10 years which seems excessive to me!!

Anyone else have longterm prognosis info from patella hardware removal??

Thanks!!!

Offline elewis

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Post hardware removal patella
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 12:51:14 AM »
Hi there-- I fractured my patella and had the figure eight wire with 2 screws put in on September 1st 2011.  I feel like my recovery is almost therel-- after months of agonizing pain, I can now do most "normal" things.  I still feel a tremendous amount of pressure in my knee though, it aches at night, aches bending down or going down the stairs, and I can't put pressure on it-- kneeling down just isn't possible.  I'm beginning to wonder if the aches and pressure are coming from the hardware, but am so nervous to have another surgery... my recovery was horrible-- you can read my depressing older posts.  How are you feeling now? Do you feel like having the hardware out was a good move for you?  I'm 35 and don't want knee pain for the rest of my life.  I can't tell if its the hardware or if it would still bother me without it.  I too would love to hear about anyone with a recovery story from the hardware removal.  Thanks.
Erin

Offline Mrs.W

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 12:31:17 PM »
Hi Erin,

It's been exactly a year and I wish my prognosis were better.

I had hardware removed from my ankle years before and experienced significant relief which is what prompted me to go through with the second patella surgery.

The first couple of weeks following the second surgery were hell. But the recovery was faster and I was back to "normal" shortly after. However I am still in pain pretty much 24/7. It is a constant nagging ache that radiates through my thigh bone.

When I had my consultation prior to surgery the doctor informed me that I had sustained damage to the cartilage during my original injury and he wasn't sure that having the hardware removed would entirely alleviate my pain. Boy was he right! Aside from the obvious discomfort from the screws and wires digging into my tendon being gone, which I am grateful for, the pain in the patella, particularly the underside, is agonizing.

So I am going to be visiting my surgeon again to discuss other options because I absolutely can't live this way.

Wishing you all the best. This is a very horrendous injury and I'm afraid we will never be the same as we were prior to fracturing our kneecaps :( ill keep you posted!

Blessings

Offline Mrs.W

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 03:38:20 AM »
Went to my surgeon today. No luck. He can't to anything for me. He referred me to a sports me decline doctor who may be able to do arthroscopic surgery on the underside of the patella to scrape away rough edges. He doesn't seem to think there is anything else that can be done. Very discouraged.

support