Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Lost, Depressed - need help  (Read 14642 times)

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
Re: Lost, Depressed - need help
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2012, 02:54:40 PM »
Hi Thommo,

Glad it went well today and you have a plan now and can look forward.... You can have some fun  ;) reading up on the LR and TTT and what to expect. Did he seem pretty definite about those procedures being able to help? There seems to be a pretty narrow band of people who benefit from a LR - make sure the case is compelling and you have a good chance of a successful outcome. Worth asking your surgeon on Thursday to put a percentage on it - always interesting... LRs have had some bad press on this site, but read around, ask lots of questions of your surgeon, and make sure that he is sure it is the best thing to do for your situation. If he's happy and you're happy...... He probably said, but the recovery rehab time from an LR is 18 months and lots of physio  ::) Add a TTT onto that, and that's a big surgery.

How lucky that you got in to see your guy on Thursday like that! Makes a nice change to get some quick answers.

Take care in the meantime and enjoy that homework  ;D

Brams  ;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
Aug 2011 - L knee arthroscopy
Aug 2011 - diagnosed PF arthritis L knee
Nov 2011 - diagnosed CRPS L knee
Dec 2011 - MRI R knee, PFOA is worse than L!
June 2012 - no surgery 'til TKR's
Nov 2012 - CRPS spread to L foot/thigh, increasing pain
- Worsening pain/symptoms R knee
;-)

Offline thommo404

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2012, 05:43:21 AM »
Well I had my appointment with my surgeon yesterday.  He said he agreed that I needed both procedures and that it made a lot of sense to do them.

He then said if I was comfortable with it that he would prefer if I had the other surgeon do it as he has more experience with th TTT.  I am happy with that and respect my surgeon for saying that.  At least he is not a cowboy after cash and just doing it anyway.

So I will know for sure on Monday next week but looks like I will be in on 16th Jan for the surgery.

thommo

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2012, 11:57:49 AM »
Hi again Thommo,

Wow. So glad your surgeon agrees, and has the sense to recommend that someone with more experience in the procedures does the surgery - there's too many that wouldn't I suspect! I'm relieved for you that you have a date to head towards and are reassured that this is hopefully the road towards better times  :) I will have my fingers firmly crossed come January the 16th!

At least you have Christmas and New Year madness to distract you a bit during the countdown.... I'll be hoping you can enjoy them a bit more now knowing that you have The Plan in place!

Brams  ;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
;-)

Offline thommo404

• Regular Poster
« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2012, 05:34:23 AM »
Thanks Brams.  Yeah it makes it a heck of a lot better to have that date and plan.

Although I really shouldn't have watched a youtube video of a TTT surgery last night.  Made me a little nervous.

thommo

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2012, 11:42:44 AM »
Lol!!!!  :o :-X :o I should think it would!!!!!

Get off you-tube and stop scaring yourself!! ;D

Have a good day Thommo....

Brams  ;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
;-)

Offline FireAndIce328

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #95 on: December 11, 2012, 05:00:39 PM »
Ok here goes.

I had my last patella dislocation in March 2011 whilst at work.  The suregeon went conservative first and after trying very hard with PT I had a MPFL on 6th June 2011.  Again back into PT and it was very slow going.  In November 2011 I changed physios and also had cortisone injections as I had started to get a bad sharp pain behind the kneecap.  I had only reached a maximum of 115 degrees of flexion.  That did not help at all.  By the time March 2012 this year the pain behind the patella when I bent it or tried to crouch, climb stairs etc got worse.

Had an MRI and it found a small flap on the kneecap and grade 2 chondromalacia.  So in July this year I had a scope with a clean up and the OS thought that would work.  He said it was actually grade 3 when he got in there.  Cleaned it all up and thought it was ok.  Checked everything else while he was in there as well.

Now 8 weeks post op I still have that same pain behind the patella and it is driving me nuts.  I had an ultrasound with cortisone injections 7 days ago and it has not worked at all.  The man who did the injections and ultrasound suggested it may be necrosis in the kneecap.

What do you guys think?  I am over this.  It has been 18mths.  I just want to move on.  If it is the fact it is too bad it won't let me back to work I am prepared to deal with that. 

I am at the point I am ready to ask for a patella replacement.

thommo404

Sorry about your knee. I haven't read all of the replies except the last two listed under the reply post. What Brambledog said, youtube videos are worse than a haunted house. :D Just remember you will not be the one watching your own surgery. You'll be sleeping!
Hope all goes well. When are you having the replacement?
:) Brooke :)

Offline thommo404

• Regular Poster
« Reply #96 on: December 13, 2012, 07:22:52 AM »
Hi Fireandice,

I'm not having a replacement done.  That was just how I felt when they couldn't work out what was wrong.  I am now having a Lateral Release and a TTT.  They are pretty sure it will hold the arthritis back and won't need a full replacement for quite a while.  After all I am only 35 next March.

I must say that Brams has been great for me to bitch and moan too even though we are on opposite sides of the world.

Well Brams I spoke with the surgeons EA on Monday and she said that I shouldn't need an appointment to see him but I probably won't get in till 25th Feb!!!  He is away on leave this week so she will confirm with him on Monday next week and let me know the exact date.

I think it sounds a little weird when I tell people that I can't wait and am excited to have the surgery!  Yes I am nervous but excited cause I am hoping to finally get an answer for this and hopefully it will be a result at least for 30 years or so.

thommo

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #97 on: December 13, 2012, 10:27:05 AM »
Aww Thommo you charmer  ;D

Hey, it works both ways you know. And when you feel pretty crappy yourself, trying to cheer someone else up is good for the soul, so when you think of it like that, you've been doing me a favour.... 8)

I'm glad you shouldn't be looking at too long for your appointment, even if Feb seems a long way away at the moment. Once Crimble is out of the way, the weeks will count down quick enough... I'll cross my fingers for a speedy appointment! I can totally get the excited thing, after all, you've waited a long time for something to finally change, and this surgery will be it. You've tried physio for a long time (although after your op you'll be doing a lot more of it!!).

You young thing. 35 seems a lifetime ago! I am a youthful 41 :), and feel about 60 today!!

Have a good day,

Brams  ;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
;-)

Offline FireAndIce328

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #98 on: December 14, 2012, 01:38:51 AM »
Hi Fireandice,

I must say that Brams has been great for me to bitch and moan too even though we are on opposite sides of the world

I think it sounds a little weird when I tell people that I can't wait and am excited to have the surgery! 

^^^haha you're funny. Well, it's not bad to feel excited! It means you will not be in any pain any more. And the wait will be worth it. Maybe God didn't want you to have it until then.
:) Brooke :)

Offline thommo404

• Regular Poster
« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2013, 11:24:24 PM »
Hi everyone,

I haven't posted since Christmas.  Hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Year.

Well I am now inside of 2 weeks before my surgery.  Getting really excited now.  Just can't wait to get it over and done with and on that road to recovery.

My biggest fear is not the surgery or recovery it is actually my appointment with the surgeon next Tuesday 19th Feb.  I am a little worried that he will want to postpone the surgery or change his mind.  I don't think he will but I think because I have been going for so long now I just have that fear.

Our new house is almost finished so we are hoping to move next week.  I normally do the move for us but obviously can't at the moment.  I have put in an application with AUSPOL which is the Australian Police Welfare Fund and they assist officers when they need help.  Not that we are in dire straights but I can't expect my wife to do it for me.  So am really hoping they can help us out.

Work has been great.  I have so much to get fit again for.  I have been placed on a working group to work on some stuff for the entire organisation.  This is also looking like it may culminate in a trip to England to liaise with the British Police to ge information from them about there Public Order practices(that is riot police).  So that would be absolutely awesome.  Something I would love.  Never been to England so would love that to happen.

I have also got to get fit enough to do another course to become one of 3 senior trainers in the organisation.  So I am desperate for this surgery to be over with but also to work.

I will start a diary when I have the surgery and keep it updated.

Thommo

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2013, 12:03:27 AM »
Hi Thommo,

I'm glad things are going well and that yours looking forward to your surgery. I'll be wishing you all the best for next week, and that you have a speedy, positive outcome... :)

Take care of yourself, and good luck.

Brams  ;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
;-)

Offline thommo404

• Regular Poster
« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2013, 08:16:41 AM »
Well had my appointment today to complete the gameplan.  The surgeon will be doing a Lateral Release, TTT and also loosening the MPFL that I had done 20 months ago.

Said I should only be in hospital 24hrs, about 6 weeks non weight bearing.

So now I just need these next 5 days to fly by.  Bring on Monday 25th!!

thommo

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2013, 09:01:09 AM »
Hi Thommo,

Good to hear from you, can't believe your surgery has come around so fast - well it seems fast to me! I hope your move went (or is going) well, did you get some help in the end? Sounded like a good plan to organise some assistance, I can't imagine moving house by myself!

You must be excited, nervous, scared, everything all together I should think. I really hope you get the outcome you need from this surgery. Be prepared for a tough initial few weeks, and the rehab from the surgery is going to be a lot of hard work - but at least it gives you something to focus on at last which will be a completely change of mindset I should think.

Has your surgeon organised physio for you yet? Make sure you push for it if it isn't mentioned when you're in hospital - I'm not sure what the protocol is with your particular operation, but physio is always the most important rehab, and I know some folk have been discharged with no physio plan and had to wait weeks for it to start. That can hold back recovery.

Please start a post-op just before you go in so I (and others) can follow your recovery progress! I'll be rooting for you all the way, and hoping to hear good things. Can't imagine looking at 6 weeks of NWB - I've been back on my crutches in the house for three weeks and it's getting to me lol - the biggest thing that made life easier is one of those thermal mugs with a lid so I could make and carry in my own cup of tea/coffee! I have a bag with a long strap that I put over my shoulder cross-wise, and then I can get to the kitchen, make a drink and a sandwich or whatever, put them in the bag, and get safely back to the sofa on my own  8) Highly recommended for the independent streak in us all!

5 days is not long......GOOD LUCK!!!!

I'll have everything crossed that all goes well and you have a steady recovery.

Brams  :)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
;-)

Offline thommo404

• Regular Poster
« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2013, 05:46:39 AM »
Surgery tomorrow afternoon.  Have started a post op diary.

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2013, 03:38:39 PM »
Wel done Thommo, I'll be there cheering you on  :)

Really really REALLY good luck for you tomorrow, hope your surgeon has had his Wheetabix in the morning lol. You've done everything you can for now, chill as much as you can today and think positive things. Rehab next, and then you'll be off and flying.

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.

Brams  ;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
;-)

support