Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Newby! Just had an OATS procedure and lil worried  (Read 2540 times)

Offline CuckFancer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • had an oats procedure and dealing with aftermath
Newby! Just had an OATS procedure and lil worried
« on: February 20, 2013, 03:16:11 PM »
Hey ladies and gentleman! My name is Travis, I just had an OATS procedure done last week with my own cartel edge (think that's why they call it an OATS) but I'm one week post op, been doing my cp, 8 hours a at as prescribed and using my vascutherm, have the typical nonweightbearing for 6 weeks I see the physical therapist Thursday and the doc again Friday I really like the, but I, a little worried, they are building me a custom brace for wakeboarding but say ill never run again (which is disheartening) the last few days I have come to find that my knee is clicking and popping (much to my surprise that no hardware was used) anywho the clicking and popping has become more frequent and painful... Do any others still have a lot of pain 1week out? To further complicate things I just had GI bleed and they say that NO NSAIDS are to be used... So I can't really kill the source of pain I can just mask it! Is there anyone else out there like me or am I just an odd ball! I'm really pretty worried about it all the no running etc... Especially since they are building me a custom wakeboarding brace... Am what I experience normal? The pain? When does it go away? I'm highly motivated to get better and I figure since its one week postoperative I'm just being over zealous! I look forward feedback and searching through the forum!

Thanks in advance for any help y'all can provide!
Recent Oats procedure recipient...
Worried about the future but I'm a former combat vet and marathoner hoping to get back on the road!
Wakeboard for life!
Be happy or find a way to be happy anything else is unacceptable!

Offline kimb

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 10
Re: Newby! Just had an OATS procedure and lil worried
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 12:35:46 AM »
All sorts of new sensations in the knee are common after injury and surgery. 1 week is really, really early, like you said ;) All I had was a loose body removed and that was more than 3 weeks ago and I'm quite a ways from normal yet.

I do know of people who have had similar procedures to OATS, and microfracture who do go back to running. But the spot they fix is not the same as it was before it was injured/damaged, and because of that it doesn't act normally. High impact things are going to make it wear sooner, meaning more surgery and possibly early knee replacement even down the road. You don't want to do that if you can avoid it. I understand how you feel though. I am looking at having to give up things that I enjoy too, basically also anything high impact. I was pretty down about it for a while but I've tried to change course to the things I can still do and even things I haven't given a chance that maybe I should consider now. I enjoy doing things like P90X and Insanity, and those are basically out of the question, along with any heavy weights like with squats. But I try to remember that I am lucky to be able to do what I can where so many people can't even do that. It helps, sometimes.

Anyhow, be patient with yourself and with your progress. It'll come. Just make sure to do what the doctor and the therapists tell you to do, no matter how much you might think you can, or want to, do otherwise. It'll be worth it in the end. And hey, at least you aren't missing wakeboarding season :) Unless you live in Australia that is.

As for the pain, I wish I had more advice for you. I still have pain under my knee cap that'll probably never resolve and will only get worse. I'm still waiting on follow up to determine that. But I can't imagine not being able to take nsaids for it.  As for it being normal? Most likely yes. When it'll go away? Everyone is different. Quite possibly several weeks, and you might still feel is sometimes after that during certain movements and such for months after. I was told to expect pain and stiffness into the fall, and I had my surgery in late January and didn't have anything like you did. Be easy on yourself :)

Offline CuckFancer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 04:01:03 PM »
Thanks for writing me back! I had a foreign body removed as well as the OATS! I'm in the same boat as you are I have no problem doing cross fit p90x etc if I can't run I can't run, I'd love to get back on my wakeboard though that's my main goal! Thanks for setting my nerves at ease about the pain! I've been worried its abnormal but your right its only been a week! How long from start to finish did it take you to get back to normal! They said I'm prob facing an early knee replacement but I saw a spots medicine doc so I'm hoping he did his best!

The not taking NSAIDs sucks because I know it's inflammation and I've actually cheated especially and unfortunately I have started to have a GI bleed... So I stopped and it seems to get better! Thanks for the help and advice I have therapy today I'm hoping its just taking taking measurements etc! Did you find your self in pain in the morning? I find I'm waking up and like omg it hurts! Oh we'll time will tell but thanks for making me feel like such a wuss for hurting after my surgery the first week!
Worried about the future but I'm a former combat vet and marathoner hoping to get back on the road!
Wakeboard for life!

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 07:02:49 PM »
OATS is painful - it involves two sites and one which is a deep attachment of the grafted cartilege, including some bone work so it will hurt for a while. I know a guy at my gym had OATS done and he was told that running probably wouldn't be wise  - it is the impact that is the problem, same as the high impact exercise things like Insanity - they are not kind to knees! Much depends on the site of it - a full weight bearing site means it will get much more use and abuse than something that isn't under constant load. I am guessing that because you're non weight bearing now it is a WB area and it needs times to heal. I don't know much about wakeboarding but I'm guessing impact is not a major part, more the fact you need knees that can transfer weight and shift direction effectively? Getting your muscles strong will be key. I hope therapy goes good - they will probably work on you getting your ROM back and gentle things like quad contractions, ankle pumps and so on at the moment. Remember to elevate above your heart when you can - this is great for helping with inflammation too if you can't take the NSAIDs.

Good luck!  :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline bradyj7

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 07:32:45 PM »
Hey, I'm a 24 year old guy who had OATS 10 weeks ago on my right knee. I had 2 plug grafted. I stayed 8 weeks no weight bearing, 1 week walking with 2 crutches and 1 week (this week) walking with 1 crutch. I wouldn't be worried at all in your first week with what your feeling. The first week weeks are were tough for me too, remember you have had your bone drilled in a few places. Anyway, just keep up your range of motion exercises but remember that it is a long road to recovery and to take things slow, protect the graft and let it heal. I didn't take any medication and just ice. At 10 weeks I'm just walking and their is a bit of discomfort there, but I can weight bear. The plan is to step to the recovery every 2 weeks, I'll just spend the next 2 weeks walking, the muscles are very weak. Any questions just ask, there is not many OATS people on here so I'd be interested to hear how your getting on.

all the best
John

Offline CuckFancer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 02:27:42 PM »
Had pt yesterday! Nothing pisses me off more when they dump you off and expect you to just do 2 and they come back in 20 min so I blasted it! They were happy with my progress anyone know anything about braces?
http://www.bledsoebrace.com/products/z-12/
http://www.bledsoebrace.com/products/z-12-d/ seemingly the same? Had a ton of blood around it they are waiting to nex week to drain it.... You guys rock thanks for the support!
Wakeboard for life!

Offline CuckFancer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 01:57:41 PM »
Still dealing with some pain but making it! I am doing really well with the pt exercises but I can't get the patella movement exercises down it hurts like hell! Thinking I'm going to leave it to the PT tech.... I have a few more questions if anyone is listening they have me non weight bearing for 6weeks yet no build down... Is my leg going to be strong enough to support my weight? I'm only 180lbs but have already atrophied a lot!
Wakeboard for life!

Offline bradyj7

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 05:54:34 PM »
I'm just walking without crutches after 10 weeks, so yea I'd say 6 weeks is minimum NWB. Muscle wasting is part and parcel, I'm leg is incredibly weak, but just have to build it up.