Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Feeling of Knee after MPFL Surgery  (Read 3417 times)

Offline Jeznai

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Feeling of Knee after MPFL Surgery
« on: September 10, 2012, 07:06:20 PM »
Hi there!

I had MPFL surgery roughly a year and a half ago on my left knee. They simply repaired my mpfl - no graft was used.  My strength and ROM are good, however I'm still having issues "trusting" my left knee, as it still feels different compared to the other knee. It literally feels as if a rubber band is attached to my knee. I know it's functionally more stable, yet I'm not used to the feeling (and I know this is sad because it's literally been 1.5 years!). Has anyone else encountered this? Does it feel like a rubber band is attached to your knee so long after MPFL surgery?  I know it's supposed to feel tight and secure, which is does, but why does it still feel different? 

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
Re: Feeling of Knee after MPFL Surgery
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 07:48:19 PM »
am about 1 yr post-op from a MPFL reconstruction w/ graft. And can identify. There is definitely some residual tight/stiffness left in my knee. I especially notice the MPFL graft site if I am standing for an extended period or my legs get overtired from some activity. I’ve been chalking that up to my muscles not yet having the endurance built up even though my strength has returned. True or not, That’s what I’ve been telling myself.

Mentally trusting it is my biggest issue also, it checks out on every formal return to sport/functional test out there, but because it feels so “surgically repaired” it’s been hard for me to move past and return to anything at 100%. I really think it might simply be hard for some of us to wrap our heads around a stable knee as well.

Does the tightness you feel cause any pain? If so, I’d maybe be asking your doc if they possibly over tightened it.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline Jeznai

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 07:56:20 PM »
Hi allyd,

I feel some pain when exercising - it'll be a sharp sudden pain that lasts just for a few minutes and then it's gone.  Otherwise, not too much pain.

If I bend my knee for a bit, say sit Indian style, I'll feel some irritation, but then it goes away after I straighten it.

I just wish I could get used to the new feeling.  I am always aware of it, which prevents me from feeling 100% secure, if that makes any sense!  When I extend my knee to walk, I can almost feel the repaired ligament supporting the knee, which is completely new to me since this surgery....

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 08:50:19 PM »
The only time I ever feel pain is if I’ve “overdone” it in the gym one day… then the following day, it can be irritated much like you describe. If I go to bend it, or if I go to stand up/sit down. But not much pain, mostly just tightness, and definitely can ‘feel’ the ligament working. I don’t like it, hope it improves w time… but maybe it’s just the trade-off for stabilizing stuff? I hate to make consolations, but I’m starting to think this is what they mean by “a surgically repaired knee will never be the same”

My PT, who also had patella instability problems, and surgeries to correct it 15-20 yrs ago… always liked to tell me: us dislocat-ers may never feel completely stable even though we are. Any time I slip on the ice and fall, I still say ‘holy $#it, my knee didn’t pop out’

I have yet to slip, fall, or anything like that yet to prove it works… And I sometimes wonder if maybe that would be good for me! Truly, the more I’ve ‘used’ my knee, the more confidence I’ve gained in it. I’ve returned to playing some rec sports and while I don’t mentally trust it when I’m out there, it has 100% improved my trust in daily life though.

Offline Jeznai

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 09:10:06 PM »
Thanks, that makes me feel a bit better.  Guess I just have to give it more time to get used to the feeling.  I always thought once I had the surgery I wouldn't feel different - I could just go and not feel anything!  I've noticed using a light sleeve or brace helps cover the "differentness" of it, so I'll probably use that when walking outdoors, etc.

Offline ckaramian1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 11:47:19 AM »
Hey guys. I have a question. How is your range of motion right now?

Are you able to kneel and then sit back onto your heels?

I am 5 months post op and am unable to do this... worries me a bit as I one day want to go back to doing MMA

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 04:16:32 PM »
My ROM is completely back to normal… I can touch my heel to my butt if stretching or kneeling/sitting like you describe. It did take 6-9 months before this was comfortable though.

support