Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Amputation after MRSA  (Read 97488 times)

Offline MDJ

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: Amputation after MRSA
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2012, 06:53:41 PM »
Thanks Lottie and Bee !

I will get another cocktail in the epidural that gives best painrelief but also makes me able move.
They will also add up the nervpain meds I'm already up.
Today stitches came out of the stump also..felt like a relief.
The testings before today was awful. I slept the whole afternoon.
Everything will start tomorrow or the day after. They want me to feel rested also before we start the process.
I hope I will get through this and pain will ease up.
The last resort they talk about is to operate in either morphine pump or electric stimulation in my spinal cord.
But that is hopefull not needed as it's not good for me to have something like that cause of the MRSA that I had.
I will keep you posted...need to rest now...Malin

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2012, 04:11:22 AM »
Malin,
Glad to hear the stitches have been removed. Sorry the testing was difficult. :(
Hang in there it is still early in the healing of your stump, and the work they did on the other leg.
Take Care and healing vibes coming your way. :D
Rk4
Knee pain since teens
06/09 Patella mal-alignment grade 3/4 chondromalasia both knees, PFS
09/11/09 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupRK
10/02/11 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupLK
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Scope LK,/RK HW removed 28/06/12
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2012, 08:56:29 AM »
Malin, I can imagine you're glad to have got the testing out of the way. sounds like your poor nerves are all mixed up with the events of the past few weeks. I hope they start to settle down and you can avoid needing an implant. Good news on the stitches coming out, must make things feel a bit easier and hopefully the leg will like not having them in as well and start to settle down. You're such a brave lady dealing with all of this; I know you might say that you have no choice but to deal with it but you're still showing an amazing determination and spirit. That will see you through! Hope the music is still lifting you and that you got some sleep and some rest too. Keep us posted and take care

Lottie xx
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline determined

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2012, 09:26:25 AM »
Dear Malin,

what a brave young woman you are! You have me in tears here reading your story. You have such an incredibly strong spirit and character, I know you will deal with this. My son has paralysis on the front of his leg and foot drop due to a knee injury, and though it has been difficult he is dealing with it as best he can. This site has helped both of us, and I know it will help you hugely too. When a serious injury like yours happens, its hard to find people even among friends and family who can relate to your situation and how it affects you. Everyone here has a common ground, and its great to have that support. I wish you all the luck in the world from here on in, you really deserve it,

brave brave  girl

Determined

Offline MDJ

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2012, 08:47:19 AM »
Thank you Rk4, Lottie and Determined!

To get such support makes me wanna fight even more.
Yes, the testing was hard, but had to be done. The cocktail mix I get know works so much better.

I got a mentor yesterday, a guy that had same amputation after motorbike accident some years ago. We are the same age and he is in sports just like me. Now he is a runner and play wheelchairbasket. I will meet him once a week to help me with my rehab and get into sports. Happy to have met him.

I got my new wheelchair this morning and if I'm well enough I will get some hours from this place and go to Micciz place saturday eve. That is where I'm going to live during my rehab when I get out of hospital, so excited if I can get out from here and be normal for some hours!

I had a terrible headache last evening, but probably adjustment with meds and all what happened yesterday as I had lots of phys yesterday afternoon.

Another thing what's keeping me happy is a guy I have met through a dating site. We were supposed to meet first time this Summer( been in contact through phone and e-mail since May), but then my accident was up. But he is still by my side and waiting me out. Weird to say but I have feelings for this guy and I know he has the same. And he takes me just as I am. But I want to feel a bit stronger and a bit better before our first real meeting. So we talk almost every day and send text messages. Happy for him! It's a weird situation we are in, but both me and him feels good about everything, so cross fingers we will feel the same when we meet.

Determined, am very sorry to hear about your son. I hope and know he will have a bright future though. Am happy to hear he has your support. Please give him my best.

Today we will just work on having me up in the new wheelchair and some wheeling around. But that will be fun!/Malin

Offline KartBoy

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2012, 07:31:21 PM »
Hi Malin

Just brought myself up to date with your story and really want to thank you again for sharing it with us. Its giving me a great deal to think about as I consider my own options and the possibility of elective amputation if they can't find a way of reducing the pain from my knee.

Regards

Kartboy
7th Mar 08 - Pedestrian hit by car
10th Mar 08 - TPF (Plate + 6 screws)
12th Mar 08 - TPF Revision
Feb 09: Hardware removed + scope
Jun 10: ACI Stage I
Aug 10: ACI II (Stanmore)
Oct  11 - MRI + Scope (In pain)
Aug 12 - MRI + Scope (In more pain)
Sep 12 - TKR ruled out :(

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2012, 08:43:44 PM »
Malin I have just read through your thread and want to join in with everyone else to say how insperational you are, the way your dealing with everything you have been through is amazing, I hope you continue to feel better and better every day,
It sounds like your music really helps you through the dark times, I am so pleased you have that and your wonderful friends to keep you going.
Take care and (((hugs))) from Scotland 
Tez x
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2012, 09:46:04 PM »
Malin I hope you have managed to escape the hospital for a short while today!! I also hope the pain is being managed and you're getting some relief. Keep us posted, as you can tell, we are all behind you 100% and when you're a knee Geek you know you rock it!  ;D

With hugs

xxxx

Offline MDJ

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2012, 08:38:13 AM »
No problems Kartboy, if I can be helpful for anyone am happy for that. It's also a way for me to handle my situation to write off a bit about it.

Tez and Lottie, thank you !
Tez, music is my life and I'm a writer and producer. So without music I would be lost in all ways.

Was up in wheelchair and went by my own to buy some stuff in the shop at the hospital yesterday. We hooked up the pump on the wheelchair for my epidural so need no assistance when getting around. What a blessing!
Today woke up with a cold. No fun, but as my immune system is down cause of all meds, I know I probably will have to deal with lots for a while now.

We are going to be in the gym today and work on my left leg as I had ligaments taken out from there and been so long in bed. Hopefully I will stand in the barrels.
Tonight I will have some visitors. Am happy to have great friends around.
/Malin

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2012, 10:47:38 PM »
Malin

How has your weekend been? Good work on the independent shopping.  8)  Hope the cold isn't getting too great a grip on you. Let us know how things are going when you feel up to it.

Lottie xx

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2012, 01:58:06 AM »
Hi Malin! Glad to hear that things have been going better and you were able to do your own shopping.

How awesome that you met someone who's been willing to stand by you through all of this. I know too well from this board that even much less severe knee injuries and surgeries can put established relationships under strain, so it's wonderful to hear that he's being so supportive. I hope that you'll be feeling strong enough for a first meeting soon and that it turns out to be everything you both hope. :)

Take care and best of luck in the gym. One day at a time.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline MDJ

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2012, 10:52:53 AM »
Thanks Snowy and Lottie!

Weekend has been a bit slow cause of my cold, so stayed at hospital. But slowly getting better. Lost my voice cause of it, but back on track today.

I managed to stand for a while in the barrels friday. So this weekend though my cold I have been working in bed on my muscles in left leg.

Today did stand and took a few step with crutches with help by 3 people. Problem is though that I need to get rid of my epidural, but with the painlevels I have is not possible yet. But one step at a time and this is huge!!! :)

I get company this afternoon to plan my rehab and also to plan my future home. I recently moved. Actually I moved 1st of September with help from one city to another. But this apartment is not good for me now with the issues I have so we are looking for something else.
I know insurance will give me lots cause of the accident, so maybe going to look for a small house. It's hard to plan when I don't know when I get ot from here but at same time need to start somewhere.
With little help I know I will be able go look for a new home.

Ok, time to rest now./Malin

Offline veganbee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2012, 06:45:56 PM »
Hi Malin

That sounds like it might be exciting, albeit difficult! If you can plan ahead and make sure when you go home it's appropriate and suitable for you I imagine it will be so amazing when you do get out of hospital!

Congratulations on your milestones, standing and taking a few steps on the crutches must have felt so good! I'm rooting for you Malin, keep up the amazingly good work!

Bee

Offline MDJ

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2012, 05:07:24 PM »

Thanks for the support Bee!

This afternoon I have gotten some worrysome high temperature again. They keep a closer look at me and have taken some bloodtests. I have some infection going on and is put on antibiotics once again. If I'm not getting better my epidural has to go. Not looking forward to that.
I don't know where my painlevels will end then.
Was to the gym this morning and did a lot of things. So cross fingers....... ./Malin

Offline MDJ

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2012, 11:03:04 AM »
Have had some rough days. My temperature went to high for my body to take in a rush so had cramps like a seizure.
They figured my epidural didn't make the situation better so it had to be taken out.
My temperature is still a bit high but controlled, thankfully just an infection and not MRSA again.
Just resting for the moment to let this pass. I'm on lots of painmeds and now and then pain is unbareable but seems like getting better by time.
I just want to get up on my feet and come home...and take the world.
When my accident happened I was in Los Angeles working with some of the best musicproducers and artists...just want to be back in my life and work with and for them. But am gonna beat this and be back and make my music./Malin