Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Amputation after MRSA  (Read 98152 times)

Offline MDJ

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: Amputation after MRSA
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2012, 04:07:30 PM »
A bit down today after trying out wheelchairs and realize it's for me. I went from walking and running in middle of Summer on my working trip to LA and now I have lost one leg and need to use wheelchair partly. A lot to take in for the moment.
The nights are long. I spend them making music and in contact with my friends in other countries.
We have started weaning off the epidural. Will be nice to be able get up and use the bathroom. So far pain is controlled. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones that won't feel that much pain after amputation. Something must be and go my way. Let's hope for that.
All I can do is wait and see and time will tell.
/Malin

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2012, 05:02:30 PM »
I'm sorry that today is hard. I'm sure there will be a lot of ups and downs as you adjust to this - it's a huge change in your life. Hopefully the wheelchair won't be for long; you will walk and run again.

Take good care of yourself. It sounds like you're doing all the right things, and making good progress. It's a hard, hard thing that you're going through, but you have great spirit and very good friends around you. I hope that tomorrow will be a better day.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2012, 10:14:52 PM »
I think feeling down is pretty much normal! What a huge life change you're having to deal with. None of us can even start to actually understand how you're feeling but we do know how hard you're fighting. You won't be in a wheelchair for longer than is necessary. You'll run and be active again and inspire other people going through the same thing. I am very glad the pain seems to be controlled so far, all fingers crossed for that as you deserve a break in all of this.

What kind of music do you make? Would we know any of it? Music is a big healer and it is good you're able to keep that going even in these early days.

Big hugs, and hope the new hospital is treating you well!

Lottie x
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline MDJ

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2012, 11:31:49 PM »
Am awake after some tough hours when pain went into roof. Felt like needles that someone twisted around. The anasthesia doc came as quick as he could, so now I have a numbed leg( the leg I don't have). Feel so much better, but also pretty much awake as they check on me all the time.
They believe it will get much better with time as you can feel a lot of other pains also and seems like mine is not firing that much...hmm wonder how the one which is actually firing is painwise...well don't want to know.

The music I make is clubmusic mostly electro house but also techno and some hardstyle. Yes and you have probably heard some of it on the lists already. I work under pseudo as I want a normal life also. In general write and produce for others. I can't sing!! But make music I can.
Lottie, I came to this hospital after my injury in US. I had surgery first in US, then all went to hell.
I know insurances will more then cover my injury thankfully!

My head is tired now.....

Offline MDJ

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2012, 11:02:37 PM »
I met a painteam today and also phys for my left leg. Been a long but good day. They are going to do serie of blocks and see if my pain improve.
My mom and aunt came also and visit. Very tired now but will try to update more tomorrow.

Offline MDJ

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2012, 10:54:14 PM »
Today had mom and aunt here for lunch. The rest of the day has been working on certain movements. I stood shortly on my left leg today( you need to be aware that I have been bedridden 2 months.). That was amazing to do. Have also had phys on my left leg, tried different movements also from bed to wheelchair, from wheelchair to toilet and so on. Still need assistance with my right stump, but will improve when I get more muscles and control over my body and over my pain. Have also had some friends here tonight that I hadn't seen since my before my accident. That was touching and hard. We cried together. They support me 100% and that feels good. So I was up in my wheelchair a bit too.
Pain is high again tonight and they have hooked up the painpump again. One step at a time, one hour at a time.../Malin

Offline veganbee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2012, 09:38:26 AM »
I'm sure it was good to see your family and friends after quite a while without them. It must have been hard though. Sending lots of love, you are making amazing progress already.

Bee

Offline MDJ

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2012, 07:32:52 PM »
Thank you Bee!
I had some phys this morning, but due to pain we took it easy and focused more on relaxing techniques and worked some on my left leg.
Afterwards I got massage on some of my sore muscles. That felt really good.
In the afternoon I had a block once again and then went to the dermatologhist, I think that's the right name of docs who works with the skin.
She showed me how to take care of the stump and also looked how it was. Looks pretty ok but is very swollen. It was good to have the block before or they have had to put my under, cause though I had the block I felt a lot pain and had to have more painkillers after.
Now my friend is here, we have just had some pizza. We are going to finish a song that is almost ready then we're going to play TV games SSX Tricky!
Good to relax some this Friday. /Malin

Offline MDJ

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2012, 07:32:17 PM »
Am now 10 days out of my surgery that changed my life forever. I have my ups and downs every day. I'm thankful though to be alive.
Today has been one of the rougher days. I started the morning with throwing up and feeling real sick.
They think here that it's my body that is complaining about all meds and all trauma I have been through lately.
Since afternoon they have hooked up the painpump again. Pain is once again attacking me in like cycles, it comes and goes.
Not a good day... :(

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2012, 10:09:44 PM »
Malin,
Sounds like they are taking very good care of you and have a good idea as to the problem,,, hope the pain pump offers you better relief.
Hang in there. :)
Big ((((hug)))) from Canada. :-*
Rk4
Knee pain since teens
06/09 Patella mal-alignment grade 3/4 chondromalasia both knees, PFS
09/11/09 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupRK
10/02/11 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupLK
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Scope LK,/RK HW removed 28/06/12
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline MDJ

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2012, 01:40:15 PM »
Pain keeps giving nothing but grief. So with no discussion they got me back on the epidural.
Today there's meetings about what to do with me and why my pain is so high.
I'm nervous and frightened.../Malin

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2012, 02:11:16 PM »
Oh Malin I am sorry that you're not getting any respite from the pain. It must feel horribly scary but it sounds like they are doing everything they can to make you comfortable and find out what is happening. You really deserve a break from all of this and to start getting your rehab back on track as I can imagine you;re frustrated as much as scared. Please let us know how the meetings go and how you are doing. We're all rooting for you, you're one brave brave lady.

Lottie xx

Offline MDJ

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »
Tomorrow they will have a closer look in why I'm in so much pain. An amputation of course gives you pain, but I shouldn't be this bad off.
So the epidural will stay in but they will stop the pump. Not happy to feel the pain, but they want to rule out some things.
The pump will come with me where I'm going and will also have anasthesia ready if I shut down totally.
I'm on some painmeds for nervpain and those I will keep of course.
The stump is not infected but very swollen and odd in weird colours and they say it shouldn't look like this.
So I will enjoy tonight and relax with music..I always feel good by music. Not only cause I make music, but also what else can make one so relaxed?

Thanks Lottie for the sweet words!

/Malin

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2012, 08:47:35 AM »
Good luck today Malin, I hope they can give you some answers. Music always cheers me too, I often think a world without music would be like someone took all the colour away.....it is so important. Makes you smile, makes you cry....do you listen to the same sort of music you make or have you got really broad tastes?

Will be wishing you all the best for today,

Lottie xx

Offline veganbee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »
Best of luck Malin, I hope you get some answers today! It's brilliant you can use music to relax, in such a stressful situation it must be a relief to have something you can escape with.

All the best

Bee