Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Amputation after MRSA  (Read 97714 times)

Offline MDJ

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Amputation after MRSA
« on: September 05, 2012, 10:34:47 PM »
I suffered an open patellabreak a while ago. After my reconstruction of the patella I got diagnosed with severe MRSA. That lead to clean out surgery where patella had to be taken out. After weeks of cleaning outs and lots of antibiotics I looked forward to a reconstruction of the knee without patella with help of muscles and ligaments from me other knee. Once again MRSA took over. After 2 clean outs I faced 2 choices. Either continue clean out and severe loss o function in my knee or amputation above my knee.
I choose amputation above my knee. I had the surgery today. Surgery went well and I had the cut 2 inches over the end of femur.
I'm still having epidural so the pain is 0. I lost a lot of blood so they have given me some.
I feel pretty ok for the moment. My emotions are like a roller coaster so one second I cry and the other one I laugh.
I am 28 and don't have any real family to rely on. My mom is severe sick and don't recognize me. I have great friends surrounding me and a new boyfriend that is very understanding.
My goal is to continue with sports as much as I can and go for Paralympics in Brazil !
I know I have a long way to go. But I want to share my trip with you cause I know we aren't many out there. If you have any questions feel free ask me.
I work as DJ and musicproducer so I can still work from the hospital bed. I have my music equipment here.
Write more tomorrow when epidural will be taken out./Malin

Offline MDJ

• Forum Faithful
Re: Amputation after MRSA
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 01:39:19 AM »
Awake in middle of night as so many other times during my journey. I'm using my time with contacts with other countries and producing music. Nights are the best in thinking. ;D

Offline MyKnee2010

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 01:46:42 AM »
Hi,

That is such a difficult choice to have to make. It must have taken an amazing amount of courage & determination to get better!! I hope your recuperation goes well & you are soon up & about starting down the road towards the Paralympics!

Please keep us posted on your progress!

Offline MDJ

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 01:56:33 AM »
Hi !
Thanks for your kind words. In middle of night here almost 3AM. Yes, its was not easy and is an emotional rollercoaster still. But am convinced that I did right as I will have more opportunities in getting around propertly and do sports. I'm a sports girl playing differents ballsports and love to be out running.
I made my decision based on that.
I slipped and fell in a pool area when I was away working abroad. That was how my journey started.
Hope you are doing as well as you can yourself.
/Malin

Offline MyKnee2010

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 02:17:05 AM »
Hi,

Just curious - where are you located? - it's 9:15 pm in northeastern US where I am located.

Offline MDJ

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 02:23:26 AM »
Sweden, but I had my injury over in US in Los Angeles.

Offline MDJ

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 08:56:43 AM »
Day Two:
So had my surgery yesterday. Was supposed to get off epidural today, but as I have had a rough night and not been stabilized enough I am going to keep it until tomorrow. Hard to sleep and feeling nauseous. We are going to work some on my left leg today as I have had surgery on that one too. They are going to put me in CPM to get ROM back. I will also have to work on my muscles there as I have been bound to bed for long now.
On Monday I'm going to another hospital, but I will not go close to my home as I am going to stay with a friend during my rehab in Stockholm.
My emotions has been going up and down and I had a scarey dream about having the penalty in chopping my leg off cause of that I had been stealing. So real it felt. But I know that the meds are making a mess of my head./Malin

Offline KartBoy

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 10:45:53 AM »
Hi Malin

You might not have close family but hopefully through this site you will realise just how much support you have. A very couragous decision which seems to me to also to have been the right one.

Work hard but also give yourself time and space to heal physically, psychologically and mentally.

Andrew
7th Mar 08 - Pedestrian hit by car
10th Mar 08 - TPF (Plate + 6 screws)
12th Mar 08 - TPF Revision
Feb 09: Hardware removed + scope
Jun 10: ACI Stage I
Aug 10: ACI II (Stanmore)
Oct  11 - MRI + Scope (In pain)
Aug 12 - MRI + Scope (In more pain)
Sep 12 - TKR ruled out :(

Offline MDJ

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 11:21:48 AM »
Thanks Andrew. Hope I can contribute myself with something here. A friend of mine showed me this site. She is one of the longest who has been here on the site./Malin

Offline NickiAnn

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 01:23:48 PM »
What a difficult decision you faced...  It sounds like you know that you did the right thing for your future health and well being.  It's fantastic that you have a career in the creative industry because, like you said, you can keep active with your music throughout your recovery.  You are also totally correct in thinking that the amputation doesn't need to stop your athletic pursuits.  I used to swim with a lovely young woman who had lost her leg in an auto accident.  She was a faster swimmer than me!

I just wanted to let you know that I read your story and my heart goes out to you.  Best wishes on your recovery.
1997 Diagnosed with miserable malalignment
Nov. 2011 Left leg femoral and tibial derotational osteotomies
July 2012 Right leg femoral and tibial derotational osteotomies

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 01:34:46 PM »
Malin

I am SO impressed with your determination and bravery. What a situation to find yourself in having to make such a brave choice. I am going to note down your name and expect to see you in Rio in 2016! Hope your recovery is as smooth as it can be, and as others have said this site is great for support and encouragement.

Take care and a bug hug from England

xx
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Overdidit

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 05:15:59 PM »
I do hope you keep your positive spirit. . .YOU CAN DO IT. . . . . . .You can't pick your family but you CAN pick your friends. . . .They will help you.  This website will help you. . . .KEEP GOING . . .You are young and strong and you WILL DO SPORTS AGAIN . .. .

Offline MDJ

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 10:22:46 PM »
Thanks to both of you ! ;D

Yes, I will do this and I have support also. My boyfriend is one of them. He is determined to go with me to Brazil in 4 years. :)

I met a guy today with same kind of amputation and was amazed that you couldn't almost tell that he missed one leg. I know it will be tough and I know that sometimes I will not be able wear my prothetis and be in need for crutches. He also said to me, get yourself a great wheelchair so you can rest yourself sometimes so I have already been looking into that. I have gotten purple crutches from one of my best friends already!
/Malin

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 10:41:57 PM »
My Uncle had his leg amputated just above the knee at the age of 28 due to cancer (this was back in the 1940s). He had a young family and a career at a huge engineering company in the UK. He never ever let it stop him. He had a great career, two fabulous daughters and also took up shooting and was regional champ of his local club many times. He owned several HUGE dogs and was usually found walking them vast distances across the parks of the Midlands. He passed away two years ago but his leg never ever stopped him in his life. He also had a wonderful marriage of 62 years!  :D

Malin you are inspiring. I am guessing your friend is perhaps Nettan?  :)  You mentioned the RSD thing. I too have RSD in my foot. Life deals you some bum choices, but you make your own way with what you've got. Stay in touch and keep us updated. Hope things are settling for you and you're getting some sleep. Can I ask how much pain you're in? What protocol do they follow - are you able to be up at all and moving about or is it rest for a while? I just don't know and am genuinely interested. How long will you be in hospital?

Take care

xx
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline MDJ

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 11:03:46 PM »
Thanks for sharing !
Yes, Nettan is my friend. She is really inspiring. :)

I had the surgery Wednesday morning. So I'm still having epidural and this will stay with me until Tuesday. I leave for another city on Monday and they want me to rest as I have been really sick. So I well mostly be bedbound until then. I have a cartrip for 5 hours on Monday with ambulance.
I don't know how long hospital stay as I need to recover from all the rest also.
/Malin

support