Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Both knees at once  (Read 834 times)

Offline pippivixen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Both knees at once
« on: January 06, 2004, 03:44:15 PM »
I have had knee problems on and off since falling off a horse in 1982 and rearranging the layout of my leg !!. I have had numerous operations over the years on my right knee as a direct result from that accident. I then got fit again and started playing Indoor Cricket and did fairly well until I used my leg instead of the bat and tore my cartilige in my right knee, that resulted in the majority of the tear being removed in July 2002. I then tripped up the stairs at work and fell on both knees, after 13 months of trying everything to improve the pain/knees, including Physio, hot and cold packs, tens machine, Cortisone injections, Axzain cream and acupuncture, my O/S told me last night he will operate on both knees to see if he can "sort them out" I have gone through all the dilemmas, of what may happen if he can't rectify the problem and he doesn't make me any better and I stay them same, I am not going to worry myself over that, what I am a little concerned about, is the fact he wants to do both knees at the same time. I have had an arthroscopy before and know the recovery times, I just feel unsure about having both knees "unstable" at the same time, how has anyone else coped ?, or am I just giving myself something to worry about !!.
This is my first post on the board and I am not too sure about some of my spellings which is why I have avoided some of the big words !!.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Pippi

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Both knees at once
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 09:24:06 PM »
Hey !!

Your spelling is excellent don't worry about that. This site is open for everyone in whole Universe so I believe a lot of us including me has probelms in writing. Welcome here !! We are about 3000 persons here with different kneehistories.
For the first thing: Is it diagnostic scope to see what's wrong or is the doc going to do surgery if he/she founds out what's wrong ?
If you have possibilities to manage at home without bigger problems I'm sure you can do 2 diagnostic scopes even maybe surgery at same time. But my advice to you is to see how things is at home and also talk to the doc again. I know many people have done this and this has been a good descison for many but also a bad one for some.
It's hard to answer without knowing your homesituation.
Wish you luck.

Nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Both knees at once
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2004, 02:48:05 AM »
Like nettan said, without knowing your home situation, it's difficult to comment about having both knees worked on at once. I would think that if you have a home without stairs, you could manage with a wheelchair and a walker. It's a concern to address with your os when you discuss the possiblilities - is he going to just look around in both knees, or is he going to fix what he can, within reason? Thats the kind of thing you want to know. If all he does is look, maybe trim a mensicus or shave an arthritic area, you could be back on your feet in relatively short order (couple weeks or so). If he has to do more extensive work, it could be longer. Communication with the dr about his intentions will give you the best information regarding how you want things to proceed.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.