Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 801 times)

Offline foveaux

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Advice please
« on: January 06, 2004, 12:07:45 PM »
 ???I had a knee reconstruction in 1992.
My doctor now tells me I need a full knee replacement as my knee is now arthiritic and bone on bone.
I am 44 years old 6 feet 2 and 115kg.
My knee reconstruction was done 12 years ago in 1992.
I am really nervous about the knee replacement as still wish to lead an active life.
Will I be able to still play golf and social tennis?
Are there any serious repurcussions from such surgery?
Here in New Zealand are we behind the rest of the world in this type of surgery?
Any advice or help would be truly appreciated.
Many thanks,
Carl.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 01:14:26 PM »
Hey !

I think you will be able to do more then now. A TKR is a very common surgery today. I don't know how tall you're cause we don't count in feet, but if you are overweighted you really should consider loosing weight cause it takes a lot for the knees to bear to much.
If NZ surgery is like surgery in Australia it's the same as here(Sweden). And I believe it's good surgery.
Wish you luck.

nettan ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2004, 03:22:33 PM »
It would be really great is someone who had a TKR would reply to this. However...from the people I have known that have had this surgery, they have had an even more active, less painful life after teh surgery. It's a pretty major surgery yes, obviously replacing parts of joints would be, but they are pretty common now a days and there is a pretty set system to rehab from such surgery.
I wish you luck...you should talk to NJDan, he's not had his replacement yet, but he's only 36 and he's having one done on the 23rd of this month, maybe talk to him.
good luck
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004, 02:42:09 AM »
Translation: he's about 192 cm tall.
My advice would be to do some more research into what people do after having a tkr. From what I understand, you should be able to golf easily, and probably the tennis too, but you need to look into that yourself. Ask your doc about what you can expect to be able to do. I understand from other's posts, the harder you work at the rehab after, the better use you end up with. You know - follow instructions well, etc.
Good luck.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

support