Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Summer's MPFL Reconstruction: 16/08/12  (Read 52576 times)

Offline Summer007

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Summer's MPFL Reconstruction: 16/08/12
« on: August 27, 2012, 07:10:38 PM »
Over the last week or so I have been reading through many of the posts as I have been recovering from surgery and I have found them all very useful and helpful- So I thought I would get a post op diary going and share my experiences so far with all of you too.

I had a MPFL reconstruction done on Thursday 16th August, so I am now 11 days post op. The decision for this bigger surgery came after a failed Lateral Release last October.
The LR was performed in the hope of correcting my dislocating patella, as my patella had dislocated ten times in just under a year. Unfortunately though, even with a regular course of Physio, my patella started to dislocate again four months later. My patella dislocated another eight times, totalling to eighteen times in twenty-one months.
During this time, I must admit, I got very down and I let it get to me as I had seriously had enough. So eventually I was given the option of the MPFL Reconstruction and I decided to go for it!

On the day of surgery I had a full anaesthetic and also nerve blocks to help eliminate the pain. My surgeon told me that the surgery would take up to two and a half hours, no more. But in fact I learnt when I woke up that I was under for three and a half hours. Although I had the nerve blocks, pain was still a problem. I spent the night in hospital, and was regularly having medication, but I didn't manage to sleep a wink due to the pain. The next day I saw the physio, she went through how to use crutches etc. I have my leg in a Back Slab, which is a very hard cast type thing. She told me that I was full NWB for two weeks until I went back to clinic for my first post op check.
The only eventful part of my stay was when I fell, not only did it hurt very much, it was also a shock to the system!

The first few days after surgery, up to now, have been spent either in bed or on the sofa to keep my leg elevated, which is becoming immensely boring. I have filled my days with reading, written work and television. The nights have been awful though and I haven't managed to sleep very much at all. The pain is still very bad so I have been keeping up with my medication every four hours. Another thing I have found is that my foot goes a purple- greyish colour when I have been getting up, which is rather concerning. Also for the last two nights I have noticed that my whole foot, including my toes, has been going numb- again which is concerning me rather alot.

My post op appointment is scheduled for this coming Thursday, the 30th. I have been told that my back slap should be removed if everything is ok, which I am really looking forward to as it is very heavy. I am also looking forward to seeing my knee for the first time since surgery!

I am still in education, my last year of college, and we go back in the first week of September and I am concerned that I am not going to be ready for it. There is alot of moving about from place to place and also alot of sitting down in one position on a chair- meaning I won't be able to elevate my knee & leg. What are your views on this please?

Thanks for taking the time to read  :)
October 2011-L LR
August 2012-L MPFL Recon
July 2013-L TTO & MPFL revision
March 2014-L Arthroscopy surgery

Offline Xeplasma

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Summer's MPFL Reconstruction: 16/08/12
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 07:53:58 PM »
Hi Summer! Welcome to the board and the recovery club!
I am hoping that the pain level goes down a notch for you very quickly. Are you able to use your crutches around a bit? Icing has been a life saver for me. Will your course load be very intense this semester? The first 3 weeks I had to have my leg elevated with some support under my knee while seating down. Now, I can sit for extended periods of time without the need of elevation( to reduce pain) and the swelling is not too bad after.
Everyone is different and as you've probably read through the recovery stories some people are going faster than others. Let's say that at week 3 post surgery( last week), I could have probably ' crutched' myself through buildings to classes and sitting a few hours a day with my leg up, icing would have been a must afterwards.
Can you contact your teachers and explain your situation to maybe skip attendance for a few hours the first week or two and meet with them afterwards to catch up? When I taught I used to have office hours to help students who needed it, going again with them through the week material or homework. I gave appointments too, so did most of other teachers. We were just too happy to have motivated students showing up( not just the 'what's the answer to the quizz?' crowd, but I digress). I am sure you will find help around if you explain your situation.

Offline Summer007

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 09:18:31 PM »
Hiya, thank you, everyone seems very friendly and its nice to have people to relate to.
I am able to get around a bit with crutches, but when standing my knee starts to really hurt, almost like a tight feeling and I am also having a lot of pain in my foot too, which makes it even harder.
As far as I am aware the course load is going to be intense this year and I am considering now contacting the teachers about this as next week is fastly approaching! Thank you very much for the advice about school, it is very much appreciated and I am sure that the teachers would understand as you say.

I hope your pain levels are manageable for you and your knee are progressing well  :)
October 2011-L LR
August 2012-L MPFL Recon

Offline Summer007

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 01:17:58 PM »
Day 14: So it has now been two weeks since my operation, and I must say it has been a very long two weeks of just resting! Pain levels still arent decreasing, but Im keeping up with my medication in the hope that they will.
This morning I went to my pre- op appointment and had my Back Slab and bandages removed. They also removed my stiches and put a brace on, which is currently set at 60, allowing a bit of bending. I have been advised my by OS to still keep my leg elevated for the next few weeks at least. I have been told that the brace will be on for atleast the next month, being adjusted as needed.
Swelling isnt too bad, but i am aware that the swelling is probably going to go up and down in the next few weeks when Physio is started. I am also happy to report that my isncisions have healed nicely, although I havent got very much feeling around my knee and up my leg- is this normal at this point?

« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 01:28:42 PM by Summer007 »
October 2011-L LR
August 2012-L MPFL Recon

Offline YogaGirl

• Regular Poster
    • my MPFL recovery + yoga blog
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 04:19:29 PM »
Good luck Summer! It's a bear of a recovery, but just think about how amazing it will be to not have anymore dislocations, especially at the rate you were having them!

I'm sure the lack of feeling around the knee is normal. Your knee went through significant trauma and will take a while for the body to sort through all of it and get it functioning normal again.

Definitely talk to your professors, I'm sure they will be understanding of your situation like Xeplasma said... keep us updated, we hope everything keeps getting easier!! :)
www.peaceloveknees.com <---- check out my MPFLr blog
www.brightskyyoga.com

Offline Summer007

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 10:09:58 PM »
So it's day 17 today and I'm feeling considerably worse again. I am keeping up with painkillers and they don't seen to be doing anything & the pain seems to be worse today. I am feeling the same pains at the inside of knee as I did before my operation also- they are like pulling and stabbing pains.
I'm just feeling very physically drained as I also haven't been sleeping, which many don't I believe, and also I have been having horrid head and ear aches and being rather sick. Sorry for my rambling but I'm feeling very stressed today! :(
I have been keeping my knee elevated as I was told to do and wearing my ROM brace day and night. I am awaiting to hear back to when my first physio appointment is going to be.

Fingers crossed this will get better, hope you are all well :)
October 2011-L LR
August 2012-L MPFL Recon

Offline Xeplasma

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 03:29:13 PM »
Summer, I hope it gets a little better soon. Unfortunately it is not a linear recovery in terms of pain and general progress, at least it has not been the case for me.
Are you getting some other sickness on top of 'regular' knee pains? Would it be worth seeing your PC physician?
Hang in there!

Offline Summer007

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 10:44:32 PM »
Hiya Xeplasma, I was considering going to see my doctor but I haven't as of yet as I was hoping to feel a little better today. As of yet I don't though, so if it keeps up, I will be sure to go. One thing I will add though is that I am feeling slightly more cheery today- not majorly, but it's something atleast!
On the knee side, I have got my physio appointment through for Wednesday so I am hoping that my physio can tell me about how I'm doing and whether I am on track at this point.

I wil keep you all posted :)
October 2011-L LR
August 2012-L MPFL Recon

Offline YogaGirl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 06:10:00 PM »
Hope things are going better Summer! I wonder if the pain meds are interfering with your sleep and making you feel sick... maybe you should call the surgeon and tell him about the symptoms and he can try you on a different pain med.

Let us know how you're doing! Slightly more cheery is a step in the right direction!
www.brightskyyoga.com

Offline Summer007

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 08:36:02 PM »
So my first Physio appointment was today, my physio told me that it was quite hard to tell how well I am doing right now as it is still early days. I cant quite bend my leg 60 degrees yet (which is what my brace has been set on) and I also cant do a straight leg raise on my own as of yet. My physio said that this was nothing to worry about as I am only three weeks post op and just to carry on working on this. We still havent discussed any weight bearing as they want me to still be non-weight bearing for the time being.
What were you all like at this point of post-op Physio?

YogaGirl, that was what I was thinking too. I have now changed my pain meds so hopefully it will make a bit of difference. Another good point to add is that I have been able to contact my teachers and they are quite happy for me to work at home and then catch up later, and also if I can get a doctors note then my grades for my coursework wont be affected- which is great news as I was getting really stressed out about it as it is important to me.

I hope you and your knees are all well :)

October 2011-L LR
August 2012-L MPFL Recon

Offline RobinK

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 10:11:54 PM »
Summer,

Sounds like you are having a heck of a time.† I actually had my mpfl reconstruction the same day as you.† I first dislocated my patella on May 20th of this year and tore my mpfl.† After that I was dislocating my patella almost daily and sometimes several times a day.† The biggest difference seems to be that you were put in a brace right out of surgery and the date you started PT.† I never was put in a brace and started PT 4 days post OP.† It was very difficult on me for the first 1-2 weeks but since beginning PT my recovery has really increased.† I am still not weight bearing, although I think I should be and am still on crutches but my pain is almost completely gone and I think that is because I have really been pushing myself the last couple of weeks.† I even passed out cold my second day of PT but really pushing it has paid off at this point.† Of course you should listen to your doctor but if they give you an exercise to do don't be afraid to really push yourself through the pain and it will only help in the long run.† I am currently able to get full extension and am just over 120 degrees bent leg.† I also can't do a straight leg lift.† I don't think I would be anywhere near this if I hadn't pushed myself so hard.† Easier said than done and some days it definitely did not seem like it was worth it, but now I am seeing the rewards.† Just keep you head up and keep working hard and you will feel better before you know it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 10:14:10 PM by RobinK »

Offline Summer007

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 05:20:02 PM »
Hiya RobinK, you and your knee sound to be doing greatly! I haven't ever heard of people starting Physio/PT that soon after the operation, but by the sounds of it, it was a good thing! I couldn't do anything at all for the first two weeks as I was in a cast type thing, which has therefore set me back.
It is quite astonishing to hear that you are doing so well with your knee bending. I am also very glad to hear that you are nearly out of pain and I am very envious of that that as my pain is still sky high! Well done to you on your recovery- I hope you continue to do as well as you are doing now!

So I am now 22 days post op. My knee seems to be hurting more again than it has been doing and the pain also seems to be the same pain I had before I had the operation still.
I was doing my exercises last night and I tried to to a Straight Leg Raise and as I was doing it I felt my knee pop/ jolt. Straight after I had done this, I had a lot of pain around my knee cap. I am now wondering whether this is normal to happen or not?

I hope you all have a great weekend and I will keep you posted :)

October 2011-L LR
August 2012-L MPFL Recon

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 06:58:58 PM »
While itís scary Ė the popping and joltÖ In my opinion itís normal. I know I had some instances like that early on and freaked out over. Until your leg is strong enough, these things may happen. The simple fact that you canít do a SLR raise (which is ok) definitely says youíve had some muscle wastage, and/or your quads arenít activating like they should and will yet. If the muscles are weak, you just donít have the support from them to control your knee.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline YogaGirl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 08:20:09 PM »
Not looking forward to popping and jolting :( I'm still pre-surgery, and my kneecap is not a daily dislocator by any means... but since my last dislocation it does this weird lock or almost a hyperextension thing, like if i stand with full weight on in and lean forward. Usually happens when I brush my teeth... its freaky, probably in that same way. Did anyone else have that sensation after dislocations?

Summer, hope you got that med/sleep situation figured out... keep on keepin' on!
www.brightskyyoga.com

Offline Teacher2Many

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 03:18:36 AM »
Summer,

May I ask what pain med they switched you to?  I had bilateral MPFL 6 weeks ago and the pain is ridiculous.  Nothing that I've taken seems to work so am wondering what they changed yours; always looking for other options.

I too have that catching sensation at times-usually when the knees are more swollen and also with quad activation as the quads just aren't strong enough to support proper patella tracking.  Keep working on quad strength and that I'd think and hope that should subside over time.  I can do a SLR on my R side but not on the L so don't worry about that either-you are still very early in the recovery phase and being in the cast type thing definitely was a set back in regards to what you could and couldn't do early on.  I was in bilateral hinged braces locked in extension for 1 week with full weight bearing (crutches for the first few days due to immense pain and side effects from the nerve block on the L side).  Braces were removed & PT started at 8 days post-op and I was put in smaller patella support neoprene type wraps/braces for 3 weeks (although was cheating and walking without them at about the 2nd week of using them) and then totally free by week 4.  Each protocol is different; do what your doc is recommending, push yourself through some pain, and hopefully all will turn out fine!
6/07-L TTT & LR
6/08-R TTT & LR
6/09-Bilateral ACI
7/10-R derotational femoral & tibial osteotomies, LPFL reconstruction
6/11-L derotational femoral & tibial osteotomies, R hardware removal
1/12-L tibial hardware removed, R scapulectomy
4/12-L femoral hardware removed
7/12-L & R MPFL reconstruction