Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 5 weeks post op ACL Recon...pulled something above calf  (Read 1095 times)

Offline POB_89

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
5 weeks post op ACL Recon...pulled something above calf
« on: August 24, 2012, 02:11:43 PM »
Hi,

I am a fit and healthy 23 yr old who had a hamstring graft ACL reconstruction completed 5 weeks ago to the day on my left knee. I have been ahead of schedule in my rehab having blitz the first two weeks rehab and managed to get my leg straight. During my third week of rehab I was introduced to the lower limb gym and had small test carried out and had been given a number of exercises to carry out myself in my own time. I was on the static bike and the stepper (not sure of its name) but the aim was to keep peddles as high as possible working lower calfs. All my other rehab work was not straining any part of my acl or hamstring graft site, just small individual exercises. I have also been extremely cautious in my environments to protect myself from any damage.

I was up visiting my football team last night and an idiot in the team decided during a funny moment to push me. This caused me to try to stop myself falling over and i slipped on some mud. When this happened I felt a twitch or a pull from just above my calf. I immediately examined my knee and at the back of my knee, very low down, I had a painful acute area. (I must make you aware that I have never been injured before and dont know what its like to pull a muscle). I presume its at the very stem of the hamstring as its that low down, its just beside my main large scar. It also tingled in the area for a few minutes after the incident.

As I already said I am extremely cautious and now worried about this issue as I am looking to get back to an extremely high level of sport. I called the NHS physio who said to ice it until i have my next appointment 5 days away. He told me these tears are normal and not to worry about them but im not convinced as I know about the cautiousness of the hamstring graft site from the initial 6-8 weeks.

Have I done major damage? what can I do to help myself? What have I damaged? Will it affect my acl rehab? what advice can you give to me as it will be greatly appriciated.

Thanks for the time

POB

Offline NIGAV

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: 5 weeks post op ACL Recon...pulled something above calf
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 09:54:07 PM »
its possible you strained the calf a bit at the area where the tendon was detached from the calf muscle?  All you can do is continue to ice and follow the rehab if its not causing you added discomfort since the slip incident till you see the physio.  They might gently check the graft at that point. 
full ACL tear 19/06/2010 motocross incident
MRI scan 20/03/2011
onto waiting list 19/04/2011
surgery 11/01/2012

Offline POB_89

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: 5 weeks post op ACL Recon...pulled something above calf
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 02:38:48 PM »
hopefully its a strain and not a tear as you say but I fear the worst so that when i see my physio I can be happy withgood news and expect the worst. its been two days now and the pain is reduced but yet still sore in the affected site. I hope no damage has been done to the graft site as I know how serious that area is if disrupted. I have continued to ice it. It isnt my actual calf muscle but just above it by the way.