Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACI or Partial/Total Knee Replacement  (Read 1278 times)

Offline thumper03tn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACI or Partial/Total Knee Replacement
« on: August 25, 2012, 08:15:19 PM »
I am a 42 year old female who has been very active over the past 7 years. I have done multiple triathlons (from sprints to 3 ironman), mt bike racing, snowboarding, kayaking, etc. I've had 7 orthopedic surgeries (2 wrist, achilles repair, achilles reconstruction, 2 level spine fusion, and 2 knee). I had the 1st knee surgery in Feb. 2010. My surgeon said that my fat pad was shredded so he removed it and cleaned up the knee. He did mention that I had a quarter sized spot of arthritis on the head of the femur. I had a good recovery and competed in an ironman in August and November without any issues. In Dec. 2011, while at work I was walking and my knee popped and buckled. I went for an MRI and it showed that I had a piece of cartilage missing behind the patella and multiple areas of cartilage damage. I had a microfracture done on my patella and femoral chondyle in Feb. 2012. About 3 months after surgery my husband and I were sitting on the couch and he didn't see my knee under the blanket and put his hand on my knee and pushed and twisted as he pushed himself up. I've had problems ever since. I've gone through the Orthovisc injections and since surgery a cortisone shot and a lidocaine shot and 12 weeks of pt. My surgeon referred me to a well known surgeon in Atlanta (2 1/2 hours away) for ACI surgery. He did lots of xrays and examined my pics from inside the microfracture surgery and did a thourough exam. His diagnosis was a misaligned kneecap, articular cartilage damage on the femoral chondyle, the patella, and the trochlear groove, and a neuroma. I scheduled surgery for Sept. 13th and found out that he was out of network. I went to another well known surgeon that was in network in Atlanta and he siaid that I wasn't a good candidate for ACI because I had a previous microfracture and my lesions were so big and their locations were "kissing" and would prevent good healing. He said that he could possibly do a partial knee resurfacing under the knee cap and the trochlear groove, but, the lesion on the femur was so large that the plate may rub and cause more pain. He could do a total knee replacement but he doesn't want to because I am so young. He wants me to go through 6 weeks of pt and try to get my quads built back up and then reevaulate. I am so tired of walking with a cane and being in pain. I'm just so confused. I don't know which doctor to listen to. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do. Both doctors are well known for cartilage research and actually have co-authored on several articles.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 08:19:34 PM by thumper03tn »