Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Bruising after MPFLr  (Read 963 times)

Offline Ouchy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Bruising after MPFLr
« on: August 25, 2012, 04:35:27 PM »

Hi everyone,

I had a MPFLr on Tuesday (21st August) and I was discharged yesterday (24th August). After the surgery my knee was incredibly swollen but I had very little bruising. Before I could leave hospital I had to show a 0-90 degree bend in my knee and it REALLY hurt but I got there. I have been continuing to do these bending exercises at home today (25th August) but every time I do I get more bruising on the medial side of me knee. Each time it goes down a little between sets of exercises and then comes back even worse with the next.

If any one knows if this is normal or if I am doing something really bad to the graft or something I would be really really grateful for any advice!!!

Thanks,

Claire
2001-2010 - Multiple dislocations of both patellas
October 2010 - R patella dislocation during first aid training!
June 2011 - R arthroscopy with lateral release & debridement
August 2012 - R MPFLr

Offline Teacher2Many

• Forum Faithful
Re: Bruising after MPFLr
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 05:26:11 PM »
I wouldn't be too overly concerned with the bruising.  Sometimes the blood just pools in one given area and it can take a few days for the bruise to surface.  (For example, I had some femoral hardware removed on Good Friday.  My surgeon did not feel the need to put in a hemovac drain as there really wasn't any bruising.  I was discharged on Holy Saturday and took the bandages off on Easter Sunday and all looked great.  That evening, the bruising was horrible and when I questioned the doc about it, he said sometimes it just pools in one given area and more than likely, the activity on Easter Sunday increased circulation and brought the bruising to the surface.)

I had bilateral MPFLr on 7/25 (1 month ago today) and the bruising was worse on the R than on the L and at 1 month post-op is still present.  The swelling is still pretty intense and is fairly common-I get a lot of pitting edema, especially towards the end of the day, and we are just now starting to be able to see the outline of my patella as the swelling is coming down a bit.  And I'm thinking (granted, no medical degree here) that the flexion, etc. that you're doing is simply circulating the blood and bringing the bruised appearance to the surface.  Try icing it, as that sometimes helps.  There is a cream available (along with kinesiotape) that helps with the appearance of bruising so maybe check with your doc on your first post-op visit if it's still bad.

But if you're concerned, I'd give them a call or send an e-mail just to clear any worries that you might be injuring the graft.  But find comfort in that current studies and research are showing that the MPFLr is actually a very stable surgery which is why you can be weight bearing immediately, etc.  And the fact that you got the 90 in the hospital is wonderful-at 4 weeks 3 days post-op, my flexion is still in the mid 70's at best!  :-)

Happy healing!!!!
6/07-L TTT & LR
6/08-R TTT & LR
6/09-Bilateral ACI
7/10-R derotational femoral & tibial osteotomies, LPFL reconstruction
6/11-L derotational femoral & tibial osteotomies, R hardware removal
1/12-L tibial hardware removed, R scapulectomy
4/12-L femoral hardware removed
7/12-L & R MPFL reconstruction

Offline franny

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 03:06:47 PM »
Just as some reassurance, my bruising was terrible after my MPFL. It was intense on my knee and I also had bruising on my shin and all around my ankle!

I am now 8 weeks post op and still have bruising on the lateral side on my knee (not where I expected it to be) which comes and goes. They are keeping an eye on it as it should have gone but they also don't seem too worried. So it's really early days for you and your bruising. I also still have a knee like olive oil (popeye), Mine also gets worse after PT.

You're knee has experienced a trauma and remember, surgeons are not known for being particularly gentle!  ::)

Just ice, ice, ice and as Tech2Many said, if you are worried talk to your PT.

Congrats on the flex, I've only just reached 90 at 7 1/2  - 8 weeks post op! You're doing great!

Good luck.

Bendy Childhood
1999 - Dislocation R Knee-cap
2002- dislocation L knee-cap & arthroscopy
Many subluxations & instability in both knees
2008- gave birth to daughter, PGP, subluxation and instability following birth
2010- dislocation L knee-cap
2011- EDS III diagnosis 
02/07/12- MPFL Reconstruction

Offline Ouchy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 09:00:00 AM »

Hi,

Thank you both for your advice, I was really worried but I've seen my physio now and other than being impressed by the size and sponginess of the bruise they weren't really concerned about it which is reassuring. I've seen two physio's now, an NHS and a private one, and neither has really come across this surgery before, which surprised me as I hadn't realised how unusual it is. They've both gone away to call my surgeon and find out what I should be doing.

I'm under strict instructions to continue ice, elevation, compression and my extension and flexes to get the swelling and bruising down and the movement coming along. I'm looking at cryo cuffs at the moment as I've heard good things about them.

All the best,

Claire
August 2012 - R MPFLr

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 12:33:22 AM »
Hi there,

This last PKR I had some areas where the bruising and swelling was bad and my PT put on kineseotape to help the bruising reabsorb.  It really worked well, in fact when I took it off periodically I had stripes where the tape had helped and there was bruise in between the strips.  You might ask your PT about it.  You might also want to give bromelain a try.  It is used for digestion and is made from pineapple so it is totally innocuous, but it also helps break down damaged cells. 

Good healing :)

Linda
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline Ouchy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 09:24:09 AM »
Hi Linda,

The tape sounds really interesting, I will definitely ask about that  :) . My boyfriends dad let me borrow his cryocuff and I now have a proper line on my bruise where it's going down where the compression has been and still lovely and purple where it hasn't!

Unfortunately the bromelain sounds like a no go because I'm allergic to pineapple!

Good luck everyone,

Claire
August 2012 - R MPFLr

support