Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee pain and worries  (Read 6668 times)

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Knee pain and worries
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2012, 02:41:24 AM »
Well, considering you had no complaints of pain etc you'd said before the darned lady hauled you over, I'd ask that they make sure they check your ligaments out real good while they're in there. I have a feeling that you kinda knew it was going to come to surgery, the hard part was getting them first to see that something is wrong, second, to approve doing something about it.

You're right - that is funny, your son saying that "mom dropped her crotch" hehehe... amazing how one vowel changes the whole word!

Keep fighting, as long as you've gotten to a doc you feel is on the side of getting you the best outcome... then do what you feel is right with regards to surgery.

Hang in there, you're always welcome to message if you need someone to chat with who understands, if you just need someone to listen.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline Cherokeegal

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
  • My knee is ruining my life!
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2012, 01:09:14 PM »
You're right. From the beginning I had figured I would have to have surgery.  It just hurt too much. I knew there had to be something really wrong. From the first time I saw the Nurse Practicioner in Employee Health and she said "it's just a sprain", then when the first OS said "it's just a sprain" I knew how badly it hurt and that it had to be more.

This OS seems very nice and he listens.  I hadn't experienced that before with this injury.  He basically said, though, that he doesn't know what the exact problem is at this point. He doesn't like the two very conflicting MRI reports. He said that bothers him.  He said either all the cartilage damage showed in the first one, and was ignored or just left out of the report....or the fact that it wasn't there and my first OS didn't do anything and sent me to PT might have caused the damage that showed up on the second one.

He is still going to examine the ligaments and everything.  He gave me an injection of a numbing medicine into the joint yesterday and said if the pain was from the cartilage damage it would temporarily and immediately make it go away.  Afterward, the pain was about cut in half, so he thinks the damage causes some but not all of my pain.

Ya know, I've often wondered if that patient knew or cared what she was doing. I'm very angry with her about this whole thing.  I've fantasized about putting an ad in our local paper saying did you have a total knee replacement in this hospital?  Were you in this room on this date?  Look at what you did by playing around. The woman wasn't even my assigned patient, so I didn't even know here name.  I just got pulled in to help because the nurse's aide who did have her was busy. I'm sure the hospital would fire me if I did that, though.  However, since they refused to let me com back on light duty, they are probably planning that anyways.  If they do, I might go ahead with that ad. 
06/12 Twisting injury @ work
07/12 Failed PT & Cortizone Inj
09/12 Arthroscopy w/Chrondroplasty & Debridement
09/12 Back in agonizing PT

Offline minor_discrepancy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2012, 05:05:48 PM »
Hi Cherokeegal

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been facing so much trouble with this. :( At least now it seems like your symptoms are being listened to?  I think I understand how you feel about your patient.  Some people could say that it's cold, that the lady didn't mean it, but it's so easy to let carelessness hurt other people.  My injury occurred because someone in upper management refused to approve a maintenance request we had put in.  In a nutshell, he told us to just be more careful. Well that obviously wasn't enough because now my knee will never be the same.  I saw him only once after the accident and it took all of my self restraint not to scream in his face.

I know he was only thinking about himself and the safety of his job if he approved an expense that the administration wouldn't think necessary, just like your patient was only thinking about herself when she clung to you as she flopped down.  It's okay to be angry.  Accidents happen and yeah, sometimes it is actually someone else's fault.  You've got to find some way to move on though, or you will slowly wither into a bitter, resentful person.  Try and focus on the here and now and not what the lady could have done differently because there's nothing you can do about it.  I know it's hard, but you owe it to yourself to have the chance at a full recovery, both physically and emotionally.

Hope this helps..
02/21 (scheduled) OATS
4/09 Dislocated patella
6/09 LR + Chondroplasty, LB removal
2/12 Microfracture + Chondroplasty
7/13 Chondroplasty + Cleanup

Offline Cherokeegal

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2012, 02:55:25 AM »
Minor, I know you're right.  I've definitely got to work on that.  Right now, I can't waste the energy on being mad.

I've got to work on getting through this!

Offline Cherokeegal

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2012, 04:13:18 AM »
I got an email late this evening from my adjuster saying she had just faxed the approval for my surgery to my surgeon's office. Maybe they will call me tomorrow and let me know something. I hope the slot for Friday is still open. That would give me having my husband at home for three days to get me through the worst of it.

Offline Cherokeegal

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2012, 11:57:17 PM »
Surgery in the morning!  I think I'm gonna start a post-op diary, since reading others' has helped a lot for me.

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2012, 12:07:15 PM »
Good luck! Hope to hear good news!
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

support