Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 3 months out from acl reconstruction HELP need advise  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Amo3373

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
3 months out from acl reconstruction HELP need advise
« on: August 23, 2012, 03:21:34 PM »
I had acl reconstruction 3 months ago. I chose the patella graft. I am still experiencing moderate to severe pain. I also am still icing due to swelling. The left side of my knee is still semi numb. I am experiencing clicking/popping, as well as feeling like I am wobbly or even over extending it while walking. Step are doable but not comfortable. I also am experiencing warmth- my knee feels about 10 degrees hotter than the healthy leg. I have gone to pt however due to knee issues really can't afford it. Is what I am going thru normal? How worried should I be?  I want to be able to crawl, jump, sit Indian style, work an entire shift without pain!  Any advice would be greatly appreciated:0(

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: 3 months out from acl reconstruction HELP need advise
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 07:30:18 PM »
12 weeks is VERY early on still in the ACL rehab. Perhaps post your questions down on the Cruciates board as there will be more people down there to share their experiences. Your graft is still vascularising, the heat is probably because of the swelling...don't over ice.....and never right on the skin. The numbness will probably improve but many people have numb patches after surgery, the nerves just get annoyed.

If you can even see a PT once a month and them set you up with some home based exercises it is better than nothing.

Good luck

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Amo3373

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 10:55:33 PM »
12 weeks is VERY early on still in the ACL rehab. Perhaps post your questions down on the Cruciates board as there will be more people down there to share their experiences. Your graft is still vascularising, the heat is probably because of the swelling...don't over ice.....and never right on the skin. The numbness will probably improve but many people have numb patches after surgery, the nerves just get annoyed.

If you can even see a PT once a month and them set you up with some home based exercises it is better than nothing.

Good luck

Lottie

Thank you that is encouraging:0)

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 11:36:47 PM »
I second Lottie's comments...at three months out, it's completely normal for things to feel strange. The wobbliness and clicking/popping are almost certainly due to muscle weakness from the recovery. This is why maintaining a proper physio program is so important, even if you can't afford to see a physiotherapist as often as you would like. Make sure they give you instructions on exercises that you can do in between appointments, and how regularly you should be doing them. A daily program of rehab exercises is absolutely essential to regain full strength in the knee and give yourself the best chance of a good recovery. I ran out of physio coverage during my recovery, and my PT was great about giving me instructions on exactly what I should be doing at home.

The warmth in the knee does sound a little concerning. If this doesn't improve, I would get it checked out by a doctor. It could just be inflammation from the aftermath of surgery (the swelling can last a long time - mine took months to go completely) but it's better to be safe than sorry. You want to rule out the possibility of infection.

You will get back to jumping, running, and working comfortably...but be patient. It's going to take a while yet. ACL rehab is a long haul, and you won't regain strength and function without putting the time in on the rehab.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

support