Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Confusion with knee pain/diagnosis  (Read 1631 times)

Offline hitthrow90

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Confusion with knee pain/diagnosis
« on: August 22, 2012, 09:30:41 PM »
Hey everyone,

I have been experiencing some knee pain for the past 2 and a half months, and I believe it is because I was squatting one time with too much weight and bouncing while I was doing it. The pain is in my right knee, and it used to hurt a lot when going up and down stairs, although the pain has gotten much better recently. Earlier, I was not able to do bodyweight squats or jump, but now I can do both, and running at a 5 mile an hour pace doesn't seem to hurt my knee.

I am really into weightlifting and mixed martial arts, and it is part of my dream to live a very active lifestyle which includes parkour and rock climbing, but my orthopedic doctor said that I probably have degenerative arthritis. I'm only 22, and started experiencing pain after the injury. In addition, this doctor was pretty detached in his mannerisms when I mentioned my desire to lead an active lifestyle. He didn't seem to care very much, and the first thing he said was that he wanted me to go into surgery. I decided against listening to that doctor and now I am scheduled to see a sports doctor/head knee surgeon at johns hopkins this October.

As I mentioned earlier, the pain has gotten better, but it still hurts to put a great deal of pressure on the right knee in comparison to the left knee. When I asked the doctor how I can help the injury heal, he said, "it won't really heal unless we look at it in surgery." He would barely answer any questions without an MRI, and even after I got it, it seemed like he looked at it for about 30 seconds before concluding that there is "fair damage" and that for any more information I'd have to get arthoscopic surgery. My opinion is that since he didn't even mention physical therapy, he was after money. What do you all think?

Also, do you have an idea of what the injury might actually be? I find myself worrying a lot about my injury and if it will ever recover enough for me to go back to lifting and parkour.

Basically, these are my symptoms: pain all over and around my knee, especially in the front and back of the knee, but only when i put pressure on it at about a 130 or 140 degree angle standing up. Also, the tendon at the back of my knee feels a little sore. In addition, when I go down stairs, my knee crunches if I force myself to go slowly down when pressure is on my right knee, but normally gives.

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it.

Offline hitthrow90

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Confusion with knee pain/diagnosis
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 12:23:20 AM »
......hello? is anyone there?

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 01:36:40 AM »
Do you have your MRI results? While the doc may not have been to forthcoming with info, if you request a copy of the report, it may give you a better idea of what the radioligist saw. And in turn a better idea of the state of your knee.

Unfortunately some docs just arent great about communicating with patients. Whether its about money, social ineptness, god complex, miscommunication, personality differences... Who knows. But if you arent ready to jump into surgery w/ out your questions answered by all means, get a second opinion.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline hitthrow90

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 10:53:46 AM »
thanks for the reply. ill try to get a copy of the mri report, and im definitely looking forward to the second opinion

support