Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Return of the Gimp - Cartilage Implant Surgery  (Read 30088 times)

Offline Joeybiscuits

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Return of the Gimp - Cartilage Implant Surgery
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2012, 03:28:25 PM »
Post OP - Day 15

Rehab has been going well. I was able to work a half day in the office yesterday and then came home to do my rehab. The next four days/nights will be in a hotel as I will be traveling for work meetings. My CPM is joining me on the trip. I am still on crutches but hope to be off by next Wednesday, which would be three weeks from surgery. The swelling is down. I was able to close the shower door this morning as I can bend my knee enough to fit my leg completely in the shower area! I have taken one pain pill the past two days and am now taking extra strength Bayer as needed.

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2012, 10:43:26 PM »
Joey.

YOU ROCK.

Hotels for business trips not even 3 weeks after De Novo? Showering with leg in?! Safe trip away, keep us posted!

Lottie  ;D
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline randomlife

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2012, 04:11:20 AM »
Wow. I'm seriously impressed that you're driving, even if it is your left leg. And that you're going on a business trip! I plan to milk this for all it's worth, so I probably won't get out of bed for the first three weeks. Only kidding! Seriously, though, your recovery gives me a lot of encouragement because my defect is similarly behind my patella. Thanks again for the updates.
03/10: Lateral tibial plateau fx
05/11: Chondroplasty of lateral tibial plateau and patella w/ extensive synovectomy
02/12: Grade III lesions on patella, new Grade II fissure on medial femoral condyle
09/12: DeNovo and Elmslie-Trillat TTT
01/14: Hardware removal and arthroscopy

Offline Joeybiscuits

• Regular Poster
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2012, 05:46:48 PM »
Post OP - Day 18

Rehab has been slow being on the road. Driving is ok, but there is some discomfort. It has been tough to get around but my coworkers have been great. I have been using the CPM only two hours a day while on the road. I have the CPM until Thursday and then am done with it. I am at 60 degrees on the CPM. I tried walking with one crutch a little bit today, but I am not ready. I was hoping to be off crutches by Wednesday, but will take it day to day.  The swelling is about the same as a week ago, with some fluctuations.  I have taken one pain pill the past three days and believe I am past taking pain pills daily. I am icing the knee once to twice a day. My next rehab appointment is Wednesday.

A couple of photos from this morning:

Offline Joeybiscuits

• Regular Poster
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2012, 04:16:58 PM »
Post OP - Day 20

I took a step back over the weekend because I didn't take the time to complete my CPM rehab. My knee didn't bend as well yesterday and I again had to have it hanging out of the shower. I was able to get in over four hours on the CPM last night, as well as some of my stretches. I am now at 70 degrees on the CPM machine.

Sleep has been fine. I can sleep on my side with a blanket or pillow wrapped around the knee. I am sleeping well but still waking up a number of times during the night.

The pain is moderate. I haven't been icing the knee much, but will start again today since I am home. I am taking some Bayer with the ocassional pain pill every other day or every third day. It is more soreness and discomfort than continuous pain. I am still having some instances of shooting pains, but am mostly inaudible for those moments. Most of the pain is on the inside of the knee and under the knee cap.

I would not recommend driving before the left knee is at 90 degrees range of motion unless there is tremendous leg room in your vehicle. The difficult part for me is when people park close to my car and I have trouble getting into the car.

I am on two crutches still, and wonder how the hell the doctor suggested I could have been off crutches by week 2. I do hope to be off crutches by this weekend, though, if the therapist agrees.

Rehab tomorrow.

Offline Joeybiscuits

• Regular Poster
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2012, 05:58:05 PM »
Post OP - 3 Weeks

I had my second rehab appointment today. Not much new in terms of exercises since we need to take it slow. My therapist was happy with my range of motion, which is now at 80 degrees - twice as much as last week. The swelling is still pronounced but not a concern. He said to continue to take it slow since everything looks really good. I asked if I could start on an exercise bike with my CPM machine being picked up tomorrow, and he said not until I have 105-110 degrees range of motion. He would prefer I am not on a bike until 4-6 weeks after surgery. My quads are in decent shape and my leg is stronger than expected.

Since I am a knee surgery veteran I did quite a bit of pre-hab work prior to the surgery. I did the same exercises the therapist is making me do now. He said he noticed the difference and likely attributed my rapid progress it to pre-hab.

Regarding crutches, he said do what I can but not to push it. I hope to be off the crutches by this weekend, but am taking it slow. A frustrating component is the brace I need to wear when trying to walk or stand. As my therapist said today, the brace sucks, because it slides down the leg and often needs to be tightened.

My next rehab appointment will be September 19.

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2012, 06:14:16 AM »
HI,  Just wanted to let you know I read your post op diary.  What caught my eye was the first few days post op.  Reminded me so much of what I am dealing with now post total knee replacement.   I am very swollen still and some of your comments rang true to what I have been dealing with.   Pain Swelling.. CPM machine..  Needing help from Family.  You name it.  There is no getting away with the knee in need post op.  Currently as of yesterday my Flex is 112 and I am a month out.   My mind is whirling at times if I should have more flex at this point.  It is such a hard process to get the quads to trigger and straight leg raises are my weak point at this time.   I had my other knee replaced as well and I just do not remember the damn tightness the past time.  I had a femoral block and I am wondering if that has some impact on this?   I wanted to wish you well and keep up the good work.

Offline Joeybiscuits

• Regular Poster
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2012, 02:56:47 AM »
Plumb

Good luck with your recovery. My flex is 80 degrees and my CPM machine was picked up today. I am doing my other exercises but enjoy the quantatative progress associated with the CPM machine. I am 23 days post-op. Your flex sounds good, but we had different procedures. My therapist said I should be at 105-110 degrees in the next couple of weeks. Quads are the biggest concern of my therapist right now. I am doing exercises to fire them up. Leg raises are no problem. I was able to do leg raises 10 days out and could do 50-75 if I pushed it. My issue is with the flex. I too had a nerve block, with minimal side effects.  I am still having some muscle spasms in my left leg, but nothing else. My knee cap is still very, very tender having been detached. I walked once today with only one crutch and it was very uncomfortable. Progress everyday, though.

Best wishes.

Offline Joeybiscuits

• Regular Poster
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2012, 10:39:06 PM »
Post OP - 3 Weeks, 3 Days

Down to one crutch! 

Bored with sitting, though. I want to go out and play some basketball but that won't be happening for another 15 months or so.

The knee feels pretty good. Swelling is down, as I ice once a day now. I am still getting intermittent purple foot that goes away when I elevate my leg. I have been having more muscle spasms the past few days: my left leg, right leg, arms, and shoulders. They do not last long.

All nine of the steri strips are still on the wound as it is starting to scab over more. The wound looks pretty good.

The two additional rehab exercises I am doing are the terminal knee extension (standing) and self-mobilization kneecap rub.

My next rehab appointment will be September 19.

Offline TriJackaLon

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2012, 08:52:25 PM »
New to the board - saw I had some fellow idlers here.

I had the denovo procedure on 9/5 - the CPM machine is awesome, and I'm starting PT tomorrow. 

I can't believe I have to be on crutches for another 4 weeks.

And then how long afer that until I can run competitively / play soccer !?  Or Drive? Swim?

Ugh.

But I'm glad to hear that y'all are making progress.  Maybe we can suffer through together.

Offline Joeybiscuits

• Regular Poster
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2012, 12:38:10 AM »

Post OP - 3 Weeks, 5 Days

The down to one crutch thing is still happening, but my knee is a lot more sore today than the previous two days. I am working between one crutch and two for now. 

I may have done too much over the weekend in terms of rehab and one-crutchin'. The knee was really sore today. The muscle spasms continue when I do not have my leg elevated. I am still able to be in the office 6-8 hours a day, and finish the rest of my work day from home. The majority of my work can be done from remote locations. Sleep is still intermittent as I approach 4 weeks from surgery. It is tough falling and staying asleep.

TriJackaLon

Did you get the DeNovo process in the States? Where were your defects? I assume you may have a defect on a weight-bearing surface if you are on crutches for six weeks. How long do you need to be in the CPM machine each day? Good luck with your PT session. It will be slow going.

Run competitively and play soccer? I would say 15-18 months if everything goes well. Most people take any where from 12-36 months with this type of surgery from what I have read, but it seems people are competitively active at 18-24 months on average. I was able to drive before 3 weeks because the defects are on my left leg and my car has ample leg room to keep my leg straight. I am hoping to get in a pool in the next month, but the therapist said it would be slow going and I wouldn't be able to swim for a little while.

Good days, bad days. Keep the long-term goal in mind.

Offline TriJackaLon

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2012, 01:27:04 PM »
Mr. Biscuits,

I surely did.  I live in Buford, Ga - which is an hour north of Atlanta.  They removed a 1/2" chunk of cartillage from my knee, which was floating around in there.  Would y'all want to see the scope pics?   

But you are right - it's on a "weight bearing surface".  I had to read the word defects twice, since I was like, "I'm not defective!"  but i guess I am.

As for the CPM machine, my surgeon said it was important to "shape" the cartilage and get my ROM back.  I do it 3x a day for an hour each day.

i work from home - I too have a gig where my work is remote - I love being an IT guy.  So basically, I set myself up with my CPM machine and work from the laptop, then ice, repeat.

I'm looking forward to my first PT session - I'm just going to lay out some lofty goals and see what my PT keys off of.

As for you and your leg - you sound like you're slow going, but making it work.

Spasms?  Losing sleep?  Goodness.  The one crutchin' was annoying when I had to do do that for my ACL a few years ago.  I hope you're able to baby your knee this week.  If I were you, I'd try to get your Wed - Fri cleared up, so you can get yoruself a nap.  That may be the best way for you to get your sleep back.

Offline Joeybiscuits

• Regular Poster
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2012, 06:37:24 PM »
Post OP - 4 Weeks

I had my third rehab appointment today. My therapist thinks my knee looks really good. My quads are firing well and regaining strength. There is still average to slightly above average swelling. The range of motion test proved about 95 degrees, an increase of 15 degrees from last week, but not enough to get on an exercise bike. After some discussion, we decided to try and loosen the knee up some more and see if we could get the knee to 105-110 degrees range of motion. We started with a total gym with a slight slope. I leaned back freely and did 10 minutes of bending my knee continuously on two legs. The pain was minimal to moderate. The knee was not flaring up so we decided to give the exercise bike a try. The seat was raised very high and I got on. I was unable to do a rotation at first. I had to push my right hip out to the point my left leg was slightly higher than my right, and they push my left leg/knee outward to complete a rotation. The first rotation was obviously the most difficult. We planned on doing five minutes but I pushed through ten minutes on the bike. There were only a couple handfuls of audible cursing. It felt better by the end, but I still had to throw out my right hip and push out my left knee to complete a rotation. My therapist placed large ice packs on top and under my knee and wrapped the knee completely for 10 minutes following rehab. He asked me to monitor the swelling for the next 4-5 hours and see how it responds. If the knee responds well, I can start at-home exercise bike work tomorrow.

In terms of rehab, I will be at a plateau for the next two months or so. We hope to increase the program at three months, but for the next two months it will be stretches, exercises, stationary bike, and walking in a pool.

Regarding crutches, I feel comfortable with one crutch and have been walking more without both crutches. I expect to put the crutches back in the garage no later than this weekend. I am still scheduled to wear the immobilizer brace the next two weeks. My therapist said I could walk around the house without the brace on. I tried it a little bit at the rehab facility and it felt pretty good.

Sleep has been s**t again this week after a really good week last week. I am sleeping about 4 hours a night the past three nights. I took one pain pill yesterday but it likely helped keep me awake. The pain isn't at a level that I need prescribed pain medication.

My next rehab appointment will be September 24.

Offline Joeybiscuits

• Regular Poster
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2012, 03:39:36 AM »
Post OP - 4 Weeks, 1 Day

Too much, too soon. In addition to the increased rehab yesterday, I tried to go crutchless today. The knee has not responded well, and the swelling is the greatest it has been in at least two weeks. I am not getting the same range of motion today as yesterday. I was able to do basic rehab and pushed through five minutes on the exercise bike. I am going back to at least one crutch tomorrow and slowly progress over the weekend. Lots of icing and elevation tonight.

Offline Joeybiscuits

• Regular Poster
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2012, 12:55:46 AM »
Post OP - 4 Weeks, 3 Days

Still gimping around pretty good. Back on one crutch with consistency. The swelling is prounced, and I am icing multiple times a day. I was able to get through rebab this morning. My frustration lies in the fact that my knee takes a while before I can bend it enough to complete a very awkward revolution on an exercise bike. I did 12-15 minutes on the bike this morning. The quad is very strong. All of the exercises are pretty easy to complete except the ones that involve bending the knee.

Sleep has been somewhat better thanks to a liquid substance I take before sleep. I have been fatigued from the increased rehab and associated pain. I am not  a napper and have passed out twice this week during the afternoon. I am able to do most things by myself. Today, the wife and I went to a couple of stores just to get the heck out of the house. As everyone on this site knows, it has been a month without being able to do simple everyday things others take advantage of so it is nice to start doing some of those things.

Thanks for everyone's support on this site. I will likely post once to twice a week, or if anything major happens.

joeybiscuits

support