Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL surgery-NHS waiting lists  (Read 3011 times)

Offline Willcox

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL surgery-NHS waiting lists
« on: August 22, 2012, 03:41:48 PM »
Hi all,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I'm new so I didn't know where else to ask.

I tore my acl 3 months ago playing football and its a constant strain, I just want the op over and done with tbh! Does anyone know what the usual waiting times are for the NHS to operate on injuries like this? I'm 17 years old and the hospital is the University Hospital of Wales.

Offline Rothera

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
Re: ACL surgery-NHS waiting lists
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 07:19:45 PM »
My local hospital is 9 months!
2011 big knee blow out! ACL rupture, lat meniscus rupture, MCL rupture 3rd degree. ACLr June plus meniscus repair. All Failed Sept 2011. Attempted ACLr and MCL Oct. bone cavitation = bone grafting. March 2012ACLr plus MCL graft with allograft. June LOAR. Clot. Wash out.
March 2013 skiing

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 372
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 07:55:17 PM »
Probably best to call the hospital - will vary, also from surgeon to surgeon.  Also, if keen to get it done asap, get yourself on the cancellation list iof you can drop everything at short notice.  It's a long recovery so you may need to consider that from a school/college/work perspective too

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline NIGAV

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 09:16:01 PM »
i waited 9 months from seeing the surgeon to going on the table in Belfast in january this year.  Though he did tell me this would be the waiting time at the consultation and i was content with this as he is one of the best.  The ther option he gave me was go private with him and be on the table in 7-10 days  :o. I chose to wait. As someone said, it varies from suregeon to surgeon.  The way i approached it was that the more time i had to prepare for the op, the better shape i could have my legs in to make the recovery that wee bit easier. 
full ACL tear 19/06/2010 motocross incident
MRI scan 20/03/2011
onto waiting list 19/04/2011
surgery 11/01/2012

Offline Willcox

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 12:17:54 AM »
Thank you for the replies guys! 9 months is a long time, I also study sport in college so it will also affect that. Is it true if you don't get seen after 6 months you can ring the hospital and they'll transfer you to a private hopsital?

Offline spenno

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 10:56:25 AM »
NHS.... well I had a MRI scan in March this year, which resulted I needed a op on my PCL and PLC. I was told that it would be a 26 weeks wait for my op. Lucky for me I had private health care cover through my wife so I had my op on the 23/7/12 and my 2nd op was on the 18/12. Thankgod for private health care otherwise I would be still waiting now!!! ???

Offline knee2no

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 02:20:29 PM »
Crazy..
I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug.

I will not be ashamed to say "I know not", nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed.