Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Help! CHILD BORN WITHOUT ACLs  (Read 563 times)

Offline mjaffe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Help! CHILD BORN WITHOUT ACLs
« on: August 21, 2012, 05:06:55 PM »
I have a five year old daughter who was born without ACLs.  The doctors at the hospital had never encountered this situation and therefore have not criteria for proceeding with treatment or knowledge on how a child generally develops without this important ligament.  I have been searching for years to find another family who has a child in this condition.  I was wondering if anyone out there has a child in the same situation or knows of anyone who was born without ACLs.  I am interested to know how their child have managed over the years?  My daughter is now five.  The laxity in her knees, her surgeon believes, allowed her to get into quite a twisted position en utero so that when she was born, her knees were bending the opposite way which also caused her hips and feet to be dislocated.  She has had surgery to realign her feet and major hip surgery.  We know she will not be a candidate for knee surgery until she is done growing at around 14 years of age.  Her knees are a bit unstable and her doctor just had knee braces made for her but they are huge, heavy and bulky, and naturally my daughter has no interest in wearing them.  Despite all of her challenges...she is one tough cookie. 

Thank you for taking the time to read this and possibly for your help.