Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 25-year-old with nonstop knee pain  (Read 617 times)

Offline scottzee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
25-year-old with nonstop knee pain
« on: August 21, 2012, 02:39:57 AM »
Iím 25 years old and I have knee pain that simply wonít go away.

The facts:

• Knee pain began a year-and-a-half ago (3/11).
  • The pain is in both knees equally.
  • Currently 6í2Ē, 225 lb. Iíve lost about 5 pounds since the pain began.
  • First noticed after playing Dance Dance Revolution for the first time in years. While driving the next day, the pain made it difficult to push the pedals.
  • More of a constant soreness than pain. Pain level is typically around 3-4, but is unceasing.
  • Iím in a car 90 minutes/day and at a desk 8 hours/day, getting up to walk around as frequently as possible.
  • Took three Cosamin DS a day for over a month with no improvement.
  • Icing provides temporary numbness, but the discomfort persists.
  • MRI on right knee shows significant degeneration of both menisci.
  • Strong burning sensation in my ďleg pitĒ when stretching my hamstrings (attempting to touch my toes, for example).
  • Stretching seems to provide no relief, regardless of how often itís done. I focus on the hamstrings and quads.
  • I went through a month of physical therapy (focusing on stretching) with no improvement.
  • My primary athletic activities currently include biking, softball, and lower body weight training twice a week, focusing on leg press.

Again, nothing Iíve tried yet has provided any kind of short-term relief. Iím to the point where Iím ready to get a job closer to home, lose 30 pounds, work out five days a week, or whatever it takes to make this pain go away.

Please help!

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 370
  • Neelie knee!
Re: 25-year-old with nonstop knee pain
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 08:35:48 AM »
What has your doctor suggested?  I'd start by stopping the leg press and stick to very light biking (minimal hills etc) until I had a course of action.  Losing weight if required is always good for sore knees, especially if you have meniscus issues (the shock absorbers in the knees).

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

support