Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MRI Results.....  (Read 4748 times)

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
  • Why me? Why is it always me?
MRI Results.....
« on: January 05, 2004, 09:49:51 PM »
Can anyone help me understand these findings? My appt. with  the OS inst for a while and he doesn't know I went ahead and had the MRI. He was going to order one next visit, but why drive 3 hours to be told that when I can do it now and bring it with me?

Here it goes:

There is abnormal central and oblique linear signal within the posterior horn of the medial meniscus without definite articular extension. There is also very mild central hyperintense signal with the posterior horn of the lateral meniscus without articular extension. There is mild diffuse thickening within the anterior cruciate ligament without of disruption. The posterior cruciate ligament is intact.  The medial collateral ligament showes no evidence of disruption. The lateral collateral ligamentout complex is intact. The patellofemoral articular cartlage is mildly denuded at the later patellar facct without significant subchrondral fissuring. The patellar rentinacula appear intact.

Impression:
1.  Mild central hyperintense meniscal signal within the posterior horn of the medial meniscus w/out definite meniscal tear.

2.  The Cruciate and collateral ligaments are intact.

3. Postoperative changes at the distal quadriceps tendon w/out disruption.  YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4.  No significant joint effusion or reactive marrow edema.

Does this mean things are good? I know seeing that word intact makes me smile!!! My PT did not destroy my quad afterall? YAY! I just don't understand the part about the meniscus and the thickening within the ACL. I only know of the patellar/quad tendons and IT Bands...lol. Thanks for any input.

Hugs to all,
Heather  
R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: MRI Results.....
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2004, 10:42:33 PM »
I am as good at reading an MRI as I would be juggling flaming torches, HOWEVER... I know that my MRI had thickening of the ACL and my OS said it was nothing to be concerned about.

Always glad to see the words intact and with no disruption.

Hugs
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline jasel

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2004, 01:36:25 AM »
Heather,
My niece had similar meniscus readings on the MRIs of both of her knees. The OS told her that when the signal doesn't extend to the surface (or edge) than it is very unlikely to be a tear. He wouldn't do a scope just based on meniscus readings like that because there is never a tear. it is most likely arthritis. You MRI basically says that when it says "central hyperintense signal... without articular extension". Hope this helps. by the way, congrats on the quad tendon!
Jody

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004, 03:02:58 AM »
This is my non-medical opinion, just how I'd read it if it were my knee...

Sounds like the quad tendon repair worked. The thickening of the ACL is probably it having repaired itself from a strain at some point. Like Linds said, that doesn't sound like anything to worry about, since it's intact.

"patellofemoral articular cartlage is mildly denuded at the later patellar facct without significant subchrondral fissuring" sounds like some articular cartilage wear on one part, which is something that can happen if you have patella issues. The subchondral fissuring comment sounds like he did not see major damage to the patella bone underneath the articular cartilage, which would be good news.

The comments about the menisci could mean that the signal change could be a result of normal aging or arthritis, or it could be something else, what I don't know. The meniscus thing is subject to interpretation, so I'm not gonna touch that one with a red hot poker.

It sounds like more good news than bad to me. One hopes this scan means you've got nothing to worry about.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
  • Why me? Why is it always me?
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2004, 01:43:14 PM »
Thanks to all for the reassuring replies!  As we all know too well the OS is the only one who can totally be sure, I appreciate your thoughts and opinions. Sometimes I have more faith in you guys then OS's though ;) You all have eased my mind and I'm not so worried about the 26th anymore...my next OS appt. I will update then and let you know how he interprets things.

Thanks and hugs to all,
Heather
R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

Offline Crystal

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2004, 04:06:52 PM »
MRI's often pick up increased signal in the menisci incorrectly.  If the signal increase does not extend to the outer surface, it is not a tear.  Sometimes there could be mild degeneration on the interior of the meniscus with this reading, but generally it is a false reading.  
With the ACL, it sounds like you could have done some mild damage to it at some point and it has scarred down to heal.  However, it could just be a false reading.  I had an MRI that showed a complete tear of the ACL, when I had no tear at all.
Good luck,
Crystal

support