Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: comminuted patellar fracture with medial and lateral retincula tears  (Read 779 times)

Offline floops

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Five weeks ago come Monday, I stepped onto a painted sidewalk in a pouring rain storm.  Next thing I remember is answering questions regarding needing 911 to which I answered yes.  I truly don't remember slipping or hitting the wall/sidewalk (BTW the wall won).  I was laying on my side, my right knee bent with me holding it and feeling bone in places I shouldn't be able to.  I layed in the pouring rain while someone held an umbrella over me (besides being in pain - I was embarrassed to be laying on the side walk, in a rain storm ,in front of a Chinese resturant, in a less than desirable part of town and unable to move myself).  Paramedics arrived quickly but couldn't do much given the position I was laying in.  I lost track of time but an ambulance did arrive and after a lengthy discussion on how to best pick me up, I was loaded into the ambulance and driven to the nearest hospital. 

The ER physician took one look at me and stated "That's operable."  Then, xray confirmed what I already knew, my knee cap was broken in at least 3 places.   I was sedated and had my knee reduced and put into a locked leg brace.  I went home that night on pain meds.

I saw the OS the next morning who took more xrays now that the knee was straigntened.  He confirmed knee cap was broken in at least 6 pieces.  I was scheduled to have a patellar ORIF the next day.

48 hours after my accident I was in surgery.  He did attempt ORIF but.... patella was actually broken into at least 16 pieces (!) which just disintegrated in his hands trying to pin and screw them pack together.  I ended up with a partial patellaectomy.  I have approximately 30% of my patella remaining.  Patella ligament was stretched and tied into the remaining patella.  He also discovered I had medial and lateral retincula tears (discovered that info when I read the Op report - what are those and are they of any concern?).  I was home that night.

Doctor has me out on temporary but total disability for now.  I'm still in a locked straight leg brace 24/7, non-weight bearing, doing home exercises and in PT 3X/week.  I'm only up to a passive 76o bend.  I was progressing at about 5-7 degrees each PT day but seem to be plateauing (is that even a word and if yes, I don't think I spelled it right - sorry!).  According to one therapist I should be at 90 degree bend by next Friday when I see the doctor again.  I'm not sure I'm gonna make that benchmark and am a bit discouraged.  I have been told that I'm in for a long recovery of possibly up to a year.  I was pretty active before this and did a good bit of mountain hiking (not technical stuff but still pretty rugged) and geocaching.  Wondering if I'll ever be able to do that stuff again.

To complicate matters further, I was supposed to start a new job last week in another state.  Needless to say, that didn't happen.  Old job couldn't wash their hands of me fast enough.  Thankfully, the new job is holding the position until I'm cleared to start work.  But the house still needs packing up and I'm pretty useless.

Guess I'm just sharing in need of a pep talk. 

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 12:09:29 AM by floops »

Offline floops

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: comminuted patellar fracture with medial and lateral retincula tears
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 09:33:33 PM »
Just got out of PT.  Could only bend my knee to 78 degrees-so practically no progress.  That's  three visits now with no progress.  I'm very frustrated and down.

Offline Susanrubin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: comminuted patellar fracture with medial and lateral retincula tears
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 02:03:51 AM »
I fractured my knee cap at the end of June. The OS removed the smaller pieces and reattached the tendon. I am on a knee brace now with 90 degrees ROM. I am scheduled to start PT on two more weeks as the OS says I am only 60 percent healed. I  a very active 67 year old. At the gym or hiking six times a week. Zumba, weights etc. I worry too about getting back to my former level of activity. All I can do now is upper body weights, crunches and isometric exercises. Still not driving. Fortunately I am retired and a husband who can help at home.