Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Removal of plica - post-op plan?  (Read 4262 times)

Offline madkisso

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Removal of plica - post-op plan?
« on: August 18, 2012, 05:27:31 AM »
Hi,
I am not sure where to post this, so here's hoping that someone here may be able to help.  5 days ago I had knee arthroscopy to remove my plica.  The first two days I basically sat on the couch to recover and used crutches.  After those 2 days I have been walking, driving, moving around.  When immobile I have absolutely no pain and only slight pain when I walk around or bend my knee.  I haven't had to take any pain medication.  My knee is still swollen, though.  Is this normal?  When should swelling go down?  I have been icing to help.

My real question is that I am not sure what I should be doing until my post-op appt.  The only info my Dr. gave me was about when to take bandages off and bathing (2nd morning after surgery).  He gave me a printout with 2-3 exercises to do, but he never told me when to start doing them.  I am definitely going to ask him for a plan of action when I see him, but that is not for another week and a half.  Is there any general plan for recovery for this type of procedure (removing the plica)?  I want to try and find that balance between not doing too much (so my body can heal) and not doing too little (so things don't get stiff).  I'm going crazy wondering if I am doing too much or not doing enough.  Any ideas or info would be beyond appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
Michelle

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 372
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Removal of plica - post-op plan?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 10:51:19 AM »
Not had plica removal, but after my two athroscopies, I was told to start doing the exercises - heel slides, SLRs and ankle pumps 24 hours after the operation.  I did something like 5 of each, times a day, icing after each set; then increased the number etc etc.  I saw a physio one week post op both times.  Swelling wise, I can't recall exacly when it really started to get better, but probably a couple of weeks.

Do you have a plan to see a physio?  When is your post op appointment?  Do you have stitches to come out?

Good luck :) If you are really concerned, call the surgeon's office /secretary tomorrow :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

support