Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Hospital Stay & CPM Machine  (Read 1151 times)

Offline soccermom

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Light @ the end of tunnel isn't an oncoming train!
Hospital Stay & CPM Machine
« on: January 05, 2004, 06:44:52 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I will be going in for scar removal surgery and then put on a cpm machine right out of surgery. I think I will be on it continuously. Will I be able to get up and move around at all in the hospital. I will be in for 6 days so I am just wondering if I was going to be locked into staying in bed? Will I be able to wear something other than a hospital gown during that time?

Anyone out there who has been through this, I would love to hear your experiences.

Thanks

Christina

P.S. I go in for surgery tomorrow :P
« Last Edit: January 05, 2004, 06:45:55 PM by soccermom »
Meniscus tear/Torn MCL/Partially Torn ACL
Meniscus Repair 8/21/03 Debride Surgery 10/18/03, 1/6/04  fat pad remvd & lateral release. Had Arthrofibrosis. ROM @ 140/ 0
deg.Take yr  to rebuild quad.

Offline jeanie

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: Hospital Stay & CPM Machine
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2004, 07:57:01 PM »
Good luck Christina. I've had manipulation and lysis of adhesions for scar tissue ....... I was in hospital for three days ...... then went home with rented CPM which I continued to use six hours a day for three weeks. While in hospital I was given a femoral nerve block to take care of pain while the leg moved on the CPM..... that meant that I couldn't put weight on that leg for the first couple of days. However, I was able to switch the machine off for an occasional  rest and I could  move around a bit on crutches. A few hours after the op I changed out of the hospital gown into a baggy tracksuit ... with zips up the  side to give access to the knee when anyone needed to see it . It felt more comfortable and secure than the "trendy"hospital gowns that tie up the back and  usually fail to cover my ample backside in the ungainly paper knickers. On the good side Tte pain was not nearly as bad as I had expected.... however, trying to sleep on your back with your leg tied into the CPM machine is not easy. It will be well worth it all for a good result and increased RoM!!. Thinking of you  
Cheers
Jeanie
Ski-ing 04/ 02. patella dislocation ruptured ACL MCL,  meniscus.10/02 MRI 11/02; ,menisectomy 2/03 MUA cortisone; haematoma/3/03MUA ;8/03 menisectomy,lysis adhesions 4/04 RSD/CRPS  2/05 Cortisone injection 11/05 lysis adhesions - infection 4/06 Botox injex hamstrings

Offline Donna

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2004, 04:10:47 AM »
Christina,

Just wanted to wish you good luck on your surgery tomorrow! Let us know how you are when you get home!

Donna
4/88 menis, chondroplasty,
10/01 menis, chondroplasty
2/02 microfrac,chondro,menis,
4/02 Fulkerson TTT, LR, microfrac,
2/03 open LR,fat pad removal, lysis,menis Still need more surgery.

Offline Marie

• Forum Faithful
  • Time for something sweet!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2004, 04:46:30 AM »
Hi Christina,

If there's an in-house PT at the hospital, they'll probably get you up and moving.  My nurses let me wear whatever I wanted, which was nice - so hopefully you won't be stuck in one of those gowns all week.

My thoughts & prayers are with you for tomorrow!  Hope you get some positive results.  :)

Marie
24y/o - had subluxing right patella, frequent dislocations, osteoarthritis.
Sept26/03 - TTO, scope, LR, medial plication & microfracture (right).  
Slow ROM recovery (126).
My new PT is awesome!!!

Offline Jennifer

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2004, 05:35:09 AM »
Christina~~~~

I have no clue about the CPM machine...I have yet to meet that monster  ::) ::)

I did want to wish you well with your surgery tomorrow :)

Jennifer
11/98 LR+chondro(L);Maquets T3 5/99(L),5/00(R);8/00 bilat hdwr removal;7/01 chondro+therm shrink(L)10/01-therm shrink(R);2/02, LR +chondro+menis repair(R);7/01 access navic excis (L) foot;11/02, bilat Baker's Cyst Asp;12/03 Roux-type T3 +meniscus trim(R),12/04 Roux-type T3(L) :o :o :o

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2004, 07:28:24 AM »
Christina,

Good luck with your surgery!  Remember to do all the patellar mobilizations and straight leg raises and passive ROM work that they will allow, and ask how long you can be in the CPM each day.  My most recent surgery, I was in it for up to 18 hours per day--which meant sleeping in it (with the help of 10mg of Ambien--better living through chemistry!).  I wasn't cranking on the ROM that whole time, though; if I was awake, I did 0-70 degrees, and if I was asleep I set it for 0-30 or 40 degrees.  The OS just wanted to keep the joint well lubricated and reduce stiffness, and I have to say that sleeping in the CPM made a HUGE difference.  I was much less stiff when I woke up in that thing than on the mornings after I'd ditched it sometime in the night.  So I'd recommend the meds to sleep and keeping that leg moving non-stop if your doctor says it's okay.

You will easily be able to get up out of bed, you'll just have to take off the CPM straps, and likely a cryo-cuff as well.  I was non-weight-bearing (not so much as a toe touch) so getting around was really, really exhausting.  I did my surgery in Vail, so I was at 8000 feet--a lot of work in thin air!  Also, I have a bum shoulder and it was really painful to take my full weight on the crutches.  So by the afternoon of my surgery I was in a wheelchair for anything more than 25 feet of walking.  The OS fully supported this.  

I wasn't allowed to shower for a good 5 days--ewwww!  I wasn't allowed to get the incision wet for a further 15 days (until almost 3 weeks post-op) because they were very concerned about infection.  My OS believes that infection leaves behind a devastating amount of scar tissue (and furthers the cartilage damage process I already have) so we were *really* careful.  I had the PT's and PA examine my wounds every day, so I think it's great that you will be in a hospital setting.

As for the rest--bring a warm sweatshirt and robe, then a nice pair of cotton shorts if you can.  That will give everyone who needs it access to your knee, but you won't have to wear that horrible gown.  I tried the sweats but they were too tight to allow people to check the leg out without really pulling and tugging--ouch!  So my choice was go to shorts or let the nurse cut off one leg of my favorite sweats....

I think you said you will be on pain control and that you were concerned about the morphine, right?  My experience was that morphine gave me violent hiccups and made me very queasy (not the best thing when you are recovering from an appendectomy and have 12 staples in your tummy!).  So when they came to give me morphine after this last knee surgery, we started with 1/4 dose (1mg instead of the usual 4mg dose).  It worked REALLY well in conjunction with my oral pain meds and toradal injections.  The best thing was that since I was having a low dose, I could get it more often.  So be sure to talk to the anesthesiologist or your doctor about tweaking your meds so that you are comfy--not everyone can take the standard regimen, but you have to speak up to let them know your concerns.  And I'd ask for an anti-nausea agent just in case--it can't hurt, and for me was a real plus.

I'm sure you'll do just fine.  Let us know how it goes, and keep up with those patellar mobilizations...superior, inferior, lateral, medial, repeat ad nauseum!

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline soccermom

• Forum Faithful
  • Light @ the end of tunnel isn't an oncoming train!
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2004, 06:11:43 PM »
Thank you everyone for the well wishes. It was nice to sign on and see those this morning. ;D

Many thanks to Jeanie and Heather M. for giving me an idea what to expect. I still haven't packed yet and now I know a few more things to add in.

I appreciate you all ;)

Christina
Meniscus tear/Torn MCL/Partially Torn ACL
Meniscus Repair 8/21/03 Debride Surgery 10/18/03, 1/6/04  fat pad remvd & lateral release. Had Arthrofibrosis. ROM @ 140/ 0
deg.Take yr  to rebuild quad.