Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Trochleoplasty on the NHS  (Read 962 times)

Offline veganbee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Trochleoplasty on the NHS
« on: August 16, 2012, 04:17:00 PM »
Does anyone know of any doctors who perform trochleoplasties on the NHS in the UK?

Offline silverghost

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: Trochleoplasty on the NHS
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 05:25:50 PM »
Hi VB

It appears a user called Anniehine who is still around had trocheoplasty on the NHS but don't know where.  You could give her a PM and ask her to give her surgeon details.

From my experience with all the work I needed i had to write to 150 hospitals nationwide to find a surgeon who would 'do me' as no funding in my area,  so I know it will be difficult.  Your best bet like mine is a University Hospital whereby they can justify the funding.  You would need to find a consultant first then get referred by your doc if he/she is outside your area.

Pardon me for saying but most insurance companies in the UK are ############# you'll have to guess that word! anything to get out of paying for summat! like they don't have enough money!

gud luck with anniehine!
'96 ACL reconstruction
'09 Arthroscopy/cartilage repair
Diagnosed with Grade 4 OA no medial cartilage and significant varus alignment
'11 fitted with off loading knee brace
'12 HTO, meniscus transplant, acl reconstruction & microfracture all in 1 go!

Offline veganbee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 05:36:48 PM »
Hi SG

I have been in contact with Annie - she had surgery under my surgeon (the one I'm scheduled to have the op with) but he no longer does the op on the NHS, only privately.

Unfortunately (again!) there are only around 5 surgeons in the UK who know how to do the procedure, and fewer that I would trust to do the procedure  :-\

Thank you for your post though!

Offline silverghost

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 05:44:01 PM »
VB

What a nightmare for you!!  you could always look at cost of private abroad? It may be cheaper to get a flight somewhere and have an op compared to UK costs.

If reduced surgeons are carrying out the procedure here then that tells me its become to costly in the UK and therefore private costs here may be a lot more than abroad?  Something to look into...

'96 ACL reconstruction
'09 Arthroscopy/cartilage repair
Diagnosed with Grade 4 OA no medial cartilage and significant varus alignment
'11 fitted with off loading knee brace
'12 HTO, meniscus transplant, acl reconstruction & microfracture all in 1 go!