Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Constant Medial knee Ache after surgery  (Read 1780 times)

Offline SEFGY67

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Constant Medial knee Ache after surgery
« on: February 15, 2012, 10:17:36 PM »
Hi,

I had a small 2mm lesion debrided and have grade II wear on my MFC 8 weeks ago.

I have a constant ache which doesnt seem to be getting better on the inside of my knee. Does anybody know if this is normal and how long it can take to recover.

Ive been doing my PT exercises and some cycling and not sure if I should continue with this.

Thanks

Sef
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 10:46:26 PM by SEFGY67 »

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Constant Medial knee Ache after surgery
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 06:57:11 AM »
first thing I'd be doing is calling up the surgeon and verifying what your restrictions are based on what kind of surgery you had. a 2mm lesion is not much more than a big pinhole, a 2 CM lesion is huge. there is a major difference between mm and cm. without knowing what procedure was done, and what else might have been done besides it's hard to say what your recovery timeline might be. Some procedures require limiting impact activities or closed chain exercises for several months so the area can heal, for example, even if you can put weight on it. Your doctor should have communicated his rehab protocol and return to normal activity timeline to you, along with outlining exactly what procedure was done and why.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline SEFGY67

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 08:33:51 AM »
the op notes say:

Patellaformal Joint         Minor I Fibrillation
Medial Compartment      MFC II Wear - debrided
                                  M Meniscus intact
                                  Tibia I wear
Lateral Compartment     Wash Out

He said the lesion was definately 1-2mm. It was done on the NHS so you are left on your own after the op.

I got the impession that at 47yrs old, the wear wasnt too bad.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 372
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 08:50:47 AM »
Grade 1-2 is pretty minor - here are the definitions

grade 0: (normal) healthy cartilage
    grade 1: the cartilage has a soft spot or blisters
    grade 2: minor tears visible in the cartilage
    grade 3: lesions have deep crevices (more than 50% of cartilage layer)
    grade 4: the cartilage tear exposes the underlying (subchondral) bone

1-2mm is indeed small (I have a defect following trauma that is 1.5cm2) and debridement of grade 2 isn't too traumatic

I would think that at 8 weeks, any soreness is still due to the actual surgery - I had a wash out and it was a good 3 months before the swelling went etc and 6 months to get to a stage of feeling improvement vs pre-op (rather more damage than you to be fair).  The key with exercises is not to do anything that is actually painful.  I was cycling on the static bike after 3 weeks and on the roads a bit at around 8 weeks (delay as much due to the weather)

What symptoms did you have pre-op?  That sounds like quite minimal wear to have dealt with on the NHS - did they think there was other damage to meniscus or ligaments?

Does the ache ease with painkillers (something like ibuprofen)?  Do you have a follow up appointment with the surgeon at all?  Have you spoken to your GP?

Good luck :)

Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline SEFGY67

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 12:26:35 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the info.

The symptons before the op was pain after running or walking long distances. If I didnt do these activities, I was fine so was surprised that the NHS treated me as well.

The MRI report said it was a torn meniscus but they were intact.

I havnt taken pain killers as it isnt that bad but im just aware that all is not right. Perhaps it is just give it more time.

I think I will see the GP though.

Cheers

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 372
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 12:47:00 PM »
No worries.  Unfortunately, once a knee has been operated on, it is often not quite 'right' or the 'same' (as I was told it's no longer the same knee).  Although a scope is minimally invasive compared to open surgeries, instruments have been stuck in it, wiggled around, bits have been scraped and it has been filled with fluid and then flushed out again!

With time it will probably start to feel more normal, but you may find that some activities like running (big old impact on the joints) need to be modified.  Muscle strength is key, so keep up the physio and the cycling.  Best to avoid things that aggravate

All the best :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline SEFGY67

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 10:47:40 PM »
Ive just had the results of a post op MRI and it shows a torn meniscus in the same place the MRI siad before my operation. The consultant said he could not see a tear when he went in but guess he was wrong and now looking at another operation. Not happy but at least I have a way forward.

Offline SEFGY67

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Constant Medial knee Ache after surgery - lost all hope
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 10:31:37 PM »
Well its been 2 1/2 months since I had my meniscus trimmed and my MFC debrided again. My knee still aches after a short walk (300m) or light cycling and I cannot see an end to it.

I had an xray and there is no joint space narrowing but do have this 1 grade 2/3 lesion of about 1 sq cm.

Im really unhappy with the first surgery for missing the tear and debriding my cartilage without my permission and making my symptons 10 times worse.

Has anybody had anything similar and actualy recovered - I could really do with hearing something positive.

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 10:47:04 PM by SEFGY67 »

support