Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: New Member w/Peroneal Nerve Palsy & Severe Foot Drop  (Read 998 times)

Offline flipflopfan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
New Member w/Peroneal Nerve Palsy & Severe Foot Drop
« on: August 16, 2012, 02:52:23 AM »
Hello all,

My problem came from sitting with my legs crossed at the knees - no trauma, no surgery. On 31 May 2012, I was sitting in a chair w/my legs crossed. When I stood up, my foot felt like it was asleep. It hasn’t woken up. The pain at my knee and foot is “otherworldly.” Gabapentin made me a zombie, Cymbalta messes with my digestive system. Oxycodone takes the edge off.  I take it when I can’t take the pain any longer. I’m afraid of taking opiates – don’t want to get addicted.

I can't flex my left  foot up or down nor bend the toes. When walking I  drag it - lifting it is too exhausting. 

I had a nerve conduction study and an EMG last month. To quote my neurologist, “You have severely damaged your nerve.” I have zero conductivity along certain parts of the nerve. I’m scheduled for an MRI next week.

My neurologist suggested that at 5’4” and just north of 100 lbs I don’t have enough fat to cushion the nerve. He feels this is the reason the nerve compressed.

Does anyone have a similar experience? I would like to read about other people’s experiences and recoveries. At this point, I'm frustrated and a bit afraid that I won't regain use of my leg. I'm an advid runner and the type who is never ill. I don't take any meds and otherwise am in good health.

Offline Teacher2Many

• Forum Faithful
Re: New Member w/Peroneal Nerve Palsy & Severe Foot Drop
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 04:01:48 PM »
I too had severe perineal nerve adamage and foot drop but mine was a result of surgery.  I can relate to the frustration though that it causes.  I had a friend whose daughter had something similar happen to her but with her arm, as she fell asleep on her arm when at the computer. 

I can tell you from the OS I saw in addition to the neurologist that the nerve heals 10 mm/day but this is after about a two month lag from the initial injury.  I'd look Ito getting an AFO to help with the walking and your ability to dorsiflexion your foot.  Neurotin is a good pain med for nerve pain and e-stim works wonders to get those nerve revs and muscles working (as does kinesiotaping-this was great for me in getting my dorsiflexion back). 

I do recommend getting into PT as soo as possible, if you aren't already.  They'll be able to implement some of the above mentioned techniques and also work on strengthening, etc. so that you don't develop compensatory strategies that end up causing issues down the road. 

Keep us posted on how things go!  As for the EMG and various nerve tests, don't rely too heavily on them.  Mine still say my nerve is severely damaged but I can actively dorsiflex my foot to a few degrees beyond neutral.  My neurologist says to focus more on how I feel vs. what those tests say.
6/07-L TTT & LR
6/08-R TTT & LR
6/09-Bilateral ACI
7/10-R derotational femoral & tibial osteotomies, LPFL reconstruction
6/11-L derotational femoral & tibial osteotomies, R hardware removal
1/12-L tibial hardware removed, R scapulectomy
4/12-L femoral hardware removed
7/12-L & R MPFL reconstruction

Offline flipflopfan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: New Member w/Peroneal Nerve Palsy & Severe Foot Drop
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 04:21:01 PM »
Thanks so much for sharing this information. All of it is very helpful. Personal experiences are sometimes more valuable than "book" knowledge.
I'll look into the meds you suggested and the PT. I can already tell a difference in the muscle tone.
Regarding the AFO - It is unbearable to have anything, not even a bed sheet,  touch my foot - hence my screen name "flip flop fan". FF are the only type of shoe I can bear. I can imagine if I get on the right pain meds, this will change and I can wear an AFO.

A very heartfelt thank you.

support