Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Help please - pain and lack of ROM after 2nd arthroscopy.  (Read 869 times)

Offline Turbo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Help please - pain and lack of ROM after 2nd arthroscopy.
« on: August 15, 2012, 02:08:24 PM »
Hey everyone,

Apologies as I was not too sure where I should be posting this...I'm new to the forum you see. I'm just trying to get some information regarding the condition of my knee as my consultant seems unable to answer my questions or just to see if anyone else has experienced the same as me.

I will try to be brief.

Last September my knee was injured trying to get out of a taxi. Mri showed 2 tears to the meniscus, both lateral and medial. I was told I'd need a bilateral meniscectomy. I had my first arthroscopy on the 23rd Feb. After surgery I was told my tears had healed but they had done a chrondoplasty as the cartilage behind my knee cap had also been damaged. I had no idea what a chrondoplasty was...at no point had I been told they would do one. No one at the hospital could tell me what they had done as they were having problems reading the consultant's notes. What's more I didn't get to see my consultant until 8weeks after surgery and also didn't see physio until 9days later because the hospital physio had gone home when I came out of surgery.

The delay in physio obviously effected my recovery. I had got to about 90deg bend by week 4. In the same week (4) I was injured again in the same knee which resulted in another tear (posterior horn medial). I've recently had another arthroscopy to trim the tear (12th July), my concern is that this time round I am experiencing a lot more pain and my ROM is terrible. I'm in week 5 and still not able to bend to 90deg...it's about 80 at the moment.

After the 2nd surgery I experienced pain in my calf, pins and needles in my feet - I'm still getting these. Since surgery I've had constant achy pain in my knee which intensifies and becomes shooting pain when I extend my leg, when I try and bend my leg (doing the physio exercises), when I've been walking around for 20mins plus.

I've been seeing my physio every week since my first procedure, last week she stopped my treatment as she was concerned with the pain I was in and lack of ROM. She wanted me to see the consultant to rule out any mechanical issues that maybe preventing movement. She thought I maybe suffering from nerve damage or issues to do with the scar tissue that has formed from the first procedure. In fact, my GP was also concerned about the same things.

I saw my consultant yesterday. He felt that my problems were not mechanical but could offer no explanation to the lack of ROM - he said 'i don't know what's causing it'. As for the pain - he mentioned something about confused nerve endings and is going to refer me to a pain management clinic. He advised me to continue with physio.

To be honest the whole experience has not been great, I've never really been given much information about the treatment. It wasn't until I started having problems after both surgeries did anyone explain the risk factors of arthroscopy or chondroplasty.

My biggest concern is ROM. I can cope with the pain for now. I also know that strengthening the muscles with physio may help reduce the pain and hopefully it will improve ROM. I guess I'm worried, what if the ROM doesn't improve? Recovery this time round has felt very different to the first procedure. Bear in mind that I had another tear then...I was still at 120deg bend by the time I had second surgery in July.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Is there anything I could be doing to help my knee? I'm back at physio monday.

Many thanks.

Turbo

Offline WonkeyDonkey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 12
Re: Help please - pain and lack of ROM after 2nd arthroscopy.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 05:52:09 PM »
Hi Turbo

Has your physio thought of putting you on a cpm machine to help with the ROM? After I had my HTO, I was struggling with my ROM and my OS thought I should bend further than I did, my physio gave me 2 sessions on a cpm machine and my ROM improved considerably.

Unfortunately I now have another meniscus tear, and am waiting to see my consultant again. I would have a good look round this website as there it is filled with experiences, knowledge and information. Some of the main things that appear over and over again, is to get on top of the pain, ask loads of questions, and understand what you have had done. Don't be afraid to ask, and if you don't understand, ask them to explain it till you do. My OS has always been very patient when I get out my list of questions.

Try to keep positive, and remember you are not alone with knee trouble!!

WD

Offline Turbo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 08:45:46 PM »
Hey WD,

Thanks for responding...I really appreciate it.

I've not heard of a cpm machine...what is it? At the moment, my physio has had me doing static exercises as she wasn't able to move me onto functional yet.

The problem that I've had with my OS is that he isn't answering my questions. After the first op, he told me the pain would go away and I would make a full recovery but that it would take some time. The morning of my second op he told me that I would have the pain forever and numbness etc was permanent.

I saw him Tuesday for my first follow up after the second op and he just said he didn't know why I couldn't bend my knee, he offered no explanation except for confused nerve endings. He told me there was nothing he could do for me and referred me to a pain management clinic.

I feel a bit lost and no one seems to have answers. All I wanted to know was what was going on with my knee. Although I was injured, pre surgery I was able to exercise, able to bend my knee, able to walk without limping, in minimum pain, able to climb stairs etc...and now...2 arthroscopy procedures later...I can't do any of these things. :-(

Offline cornish_girl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 09:20:38 PM »
I had the exactly the same happen to me with my consultant.

My arthroscopy was purely for exploratory reasons I was told.  Then four weeks later, maybe a bit more,
I was told I had some loose flaps of cartalidge removed from behind my knee cap and I was told this by my
physio at my GP.  Nobody at the hospital not even the consultant has told me that I had that removed and I have seen him twice since.  I also got BS story that the physio at the hospital could not read the consultants notes.

I was also not given follow up physio support at the hospital and I also feel that this made my recovery a lot longer than it should have been.

Im sorry this isnt any help in answering your question, I just felt I had to relay my similar story

Offline Turbo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 09:50:22 PM »
Hey CG,

That's terrible that your consultant didn't tell you at follow up what they had done. I mean how would you have known what to do for rehab? That's just messed up!

How is you knee now?

Offline WonkeyDonkey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 10:14:43 PM »
Hi Turbo

A cpm machine is a continuous passive motion machine. It gentle bends and straightens the leg for you. You strap your foot in and rest your leg on rest of the machine. It is then set to a degree of bend, and then turned on. It slowly bends your leg for you, and can be used for hours if required. I only used this for 2 sessions of about 30 minutes and it helped considerably. I thought this would be painful, but I  it was not.

It is terrible that your OS can't/won't answer your questions, I would still keep asking. Have you asked your physio about the op, as they tend to know what has happened. I know my physio after my arthroscopy explained exactly what had happened and the notes made by the OS. After my HTO, I have had to explain to my physio what I had in my leg as it is not the norm metal plate, but he looked it up and learnt from it. He has continued to explain each step to me and helped me make decisions based on what we both know.

Have you ever received a copy of letters that your OS has send to your GP, I have received a copy of every letter sent so I know what has been said to my GP, and he is then fully aware of what is going on? If not, it maybe worth a visit to your GP to ask.

Good luck

WD