Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: What did I do?  (Read 1215 times)

Offline constructionworker

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
What did I do?
« on: August 14, 2012, 07:08:43 PM »
So, I'm 30 years old. I've been in construction work for 12 years since I was 18. often I would work on my knee or knees, or kneel down to work on stuff down low. I've done this for 12 years, & never an ache, pain, hiccup, nothing. I've been good to go.

So 5 months ago, I go on a 4 month holiday, & the only exercise I got then was just walking around with a little swimming. I come back home & start looking for work again (I work for myself & own my own business).

I start getting some more work here & there. Then I get this one job & I was kneeling down with my left knee bent to suck a degree, shin almost parrellel to the ground for about an hour or hour & a half, doing a task. Towards the end of that task & as I got up, I thought "damn that was a little tough on my knee, I'm outta shape, oh well, go back to work". (This is what I think started my knee problem). No instant pain, no popping sound, no tearing sound, nothing, just felt like, oh I'm out of shape - thats all.

The next day, I go to work again, this time just a little kneeling down regularly on that left knee.

The next night after that, my knee felt a little weird & I thought "eh, go for a bike ride, work it out whatevers going on" -rode for about 45 minutes.

The next night after that, same thing. My knee still felt weird & went for another bike ride with a little pain when my knee would get to the most bent position when pedalling.

2 days later, I noticed my knee was a little swollen just above my knee cap, but I returned to work & did regular work, minimual kneeling, but on my feet walking around for 8 hours.

The next day after that, same thing as yesterday, worked for 8 hours, a little more kneeling down on both knees this day. I noticed my knee was even more swollen this day. As the day progressed, I noticed I could not bend my knee as much & walked around mostly straight-legged for the day. This is the last day I worked.

For the next 2 days, I did some walking around doin chore type of stuff, goin to the market, fillup fuel in the truck, stuff like that. My walking is still 'straight-legged" & hurts when trying to bend it.

The next 4 days until today, right now- I've been icing it for 20-25 minutes once every hour and a halfish (with at least 45 minutes for the knee to warm back up. Been taking ibuprophen 200mg every 6-8 hours as directed per instructions on bottle -no more than. 80% of the past 4 days have been off my feet & laying down or sitting. I've noticed a little improvement on the swelling, but still swollen above my knee cap on same spot. I can "push" the swollen area left to right. there a very slight improvment in the amount I can bend my knee- almost to 90 degrees, but then 2 things happen: it hurts + the mechanics inside of my knee say "nope, cant bend any further". I cant tell if the swelling above my knee cap is limiting the movement or if its something else internally.

So what I think is my knee got used to my working habits of 12 years, then the 4 month holiday, my knee got used to that, then I go straight back into hard working again, & my knee was not used to the hard working I used to do. I read online & cant figure out what it is. WHAT DID I DO?

Yea, its been over a week since it happened. But I live in the U.S., have no health insurance & cannot afford a doctor visit, & I'm stuck in a "catch 22" because I cant afford it, plus I need to work to make money, & I need money to see a doctor. I just wanted to know if someone had something similar happen, or if a doctor reads these forums & could chime in as to what may be wrong. Any info or thoughts is apprectiated.

thanks for reading.

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
Re: What did I do?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 09:30:30 PM »
I have no idea what could be wrong. You may have just strained something, as like you say you went from zero activity to high activity in a short period. Since a doctor isn’t an option right now for you - give it some more rest… it may settle down. Continue to ice and elevate it as much as possible. Knee problems can take a rich measure of patience.

I’ll say, the advice you are going to receive on a whole is to go see a doctor (that is where you will get concrete answers). Most users are patients like you and I, and with no diagnosis or imaging from a doctor… I’d take any suggestions of what’s wrong with a grain of salt.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline bansidhe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 03:32:13 AM »
Do you think it may be tendonitis? 

Also, I would take 3 (600mg) Advil every four-6 hours,  (I have had numerous sports related injuries and the doctor always prescribe this...)
Of course, I am NOT a medical doctor, I just know that's the typical suggestion for such things provided the person is not allergic to aspirin or NSAIDs.
and has no other contraindications..  I wouldn't take my advice but perhaps you can research that a bot.

Anyway, I hope it gets better soon!

let us know.

ACl tear/MCL sprain/Bone Bruise 06/29/12 :-(

Offline bansidhe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 03:35:28 AM »
Oh..  People often swear by Chondroitin/Glucosamine for cartilage/ligament/tendon issues.  You may look into that as well.

Offline silverghost

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 07:15:27 AM »
I agree with the others.  I think you need something a stronger anti inflammatory to start with .  we have a range in the uk but not sure what you guys have.

Doing manual work your joints will gradually wear over time, as i found out, but your knees will have got used in some way to the work you do.  If like you say you have been kneeling differently or especially if you have had a long break without work for a while your knees maybe out of the normal practice and more prone to ache or swell when you have gone back to work suddenly.

Don't worry too much at the moment but do get it checked out as a visit to the docs now will be less costly than what could be a future problem.
'96 ACL reconstruction
'09 Arthroscopy/cartilage repair
Diagnosed with Grade 4 OA no medial cartilage and significant varus alignment
'11 fitted with off loading knee brace
'12 HTO, meniscus transplant, acl reconstruction & microfracture all in 1 go!

Offline constructionworker

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 07:45:52 AM »
Thanks for replies! Gonna get some help from family to go see a doctor next week (a referred doctor who did surgeory on my friends knee). I came across one piece info that might explain what I have:

Quadracep tendon tear or strain, as it is above my kneecap & I can picture that piece being stretched from when I think I originally started the injury. With no xray done yet, I "think" (more like hope) that the tendon isnt completely torn as when I touch the top & bottom of each kneecap at the same time with each hand, the problematic knee feels like the kneecap is in the same position as my good knee.

So for now, its still RICE minus the exercise + ibupropben. We'll see in a week.

Thanks for the input so far, maybe somone may agree or disagree to my self diagnosis for the time being?

Offline bansidhe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 10:23:57 AM »
Just based on what you described it sounds to me like a quad tendon thing... which is why I asked about it being tendonitis.
That tendon would have been held taught for a long time so, it is probably quite inflamed...  But again, I am not a doctor though
I do self diagnose all the time and it usually turns out the doc agrees.  :o

Soft tissue damage is hard to see in an XRAY and usually requires an MRI.  However, most doctors in this case would have you do the RICE thing first.  Then if it doesnt improve they may prescribe PT and/or MRI.

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 02:43:25 PM »
Could definitely be isolated to the quad tendon… but with the amount of swelling you have, it’s not uncommon for the quad to be affected by the swelling itself. Where we feel pain in our knee isn’t necessarily of direct association with where the problem is.

I self diagnose myself all the time too… The doctor usually disagrees with me.  Go to the doctor and try not to overthink it before then. And definitely don’t be afraid to up the NSAID dose. Keep in mind that’s the over the counter dosage… If a doctor were to prescribe you ibuprofen, they’d up the dosage significantly. Also try Aleve. Naproxen works better than ibuprofen for me when it comes to the joints.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

support