Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Pain is worse two weeks after a cortisone injection?  (Read 7874 times)

Offline Lara_Pritchard

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Pain is worse two weeks after a cortisone injection?
« on: January 20, 2014, 04:58:35 AM »
I have Hoffa's disease and patellofemoral syndrome. I have had two rounds of physical therapy, and that didn't help. Two weeks ago from Tuesday I had a cortisone injection. Now my knee hurts worse, its a sharp stabbing pain before it was a dull achy pain. I'm also on Mobic which has helped some but very little. I go back April 6th, but I may go ahead and move it up. I know if I go back I am having surgery. So my question is if you were me would you go ahead and move the date up or wait till the appointment in April. I really want to get back to playing soccer, and running.

Thanks,
Lara

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: Pain is worse two weeks after a cortisone injection?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 04:34:49 PM »
Hi Lara,

I also have PFS and had my fat pad trimmed in November 2009 as well as having my medial plica removed in my right knee as the fat pad was inflamed at the time and catching at the bottom of my kneecap.

Cortisone injection did not help improve my knee pain and had an MRI scan done on my right knee and did not show any problems until I had an exploratory scope done. Straight away my OS saw my medial plica was too large and fat pad was inflamed, he soon fixed it once he was inside my right knee.

Maybe the next stage is an exploratory scope, I know surgery is not a nice prospect and could risk making your knee worse. Also can be a success as many professional athletes have more than one scope on their knee and recover ok, that soon get back at a competitive level again.

I am back to square one after falling on black ice and not been able to run since with pain and swelling at the bottom of my right knee. I am now waiting to have an MRI scan done on my right knee again. I am hoping this time it does show something as the previous 2 came up with no problems inside my right knee.

Good luck trying to get your knee sorted out, I know how hard it is if you cannot run as it does make you feel depressed at times when you see others out there running and competing on sports and you have to be a spectator.

I go swimming regular to get some form of physical exercise, that is the best type of workout with a knee injury, as it puts minimum impact on your joints, good luck!

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming