Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patella knee dislocation questions? seeing a consltant tomorrow?  (Read 1696 times)

Offline jssy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I'm not sure if i had an underlying problem. When I was 10 I was on crutches and they couldnt find out what was up with my knee, lately its swollen and before I left school I couldn't walk on it. It's been swollen since may. Friday night I was playing a dance game on kinect on xbox when suddenly I heard crack. My knee cap was on the side of my leg worst pain I'd ever felt couldnt lift it or move it without the worst pain I have ever felt! ambulance came and took me to hospital. I got through 4 and a half cans on gas and air lol :) I got it xrayed and was screaming in the xray room cos she kept lifting myleg to put different shapes under it and it hurt sooo much. A doctor came and cracked it back in to place and the pressure was relieved a little but has swollen up so much more.

I then had to have xrays again. Its a little weird cos the paramedics said when they put legs in to the splint it usually pops back in straight away and mine didnt. They were gonna give me this injection for pain relief but said it makes you throw up and Im too young (16 y.o) for them to give another injection to stop sickness and I hate being sick so I managed it all on gas and air. I got it bandaged up and given crutches. Should I have been given an immobiliser? I'm so scared of it happening again because it was the worst pain ive ever felt and Im not usually a wuss with pain, I have piercings all over my body. Could it happen again? They said I need physio and im seeing a consultant at a fracture clinic tomorrow at orthapaedics. I'mquite scared. What will probably happen at my appointment tomorrow? and how long before I'll be back to normal again and walking without crutches? I start hairdressing at college in september and I'll be on my feet all the time (or at least supposed to):( My experience has really put me off excercing.

Offline franny

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Patella knee dislocation questions? seeing a consltant tomorrow?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 10:53:12 AM »
Firstly. So sorry you have had this happen to you. I was 14 when I first dislocated my knee cap and it was horrible, scary and very very painful! I have had a baby and the pain ranks with that of labour but more constant so you most certainly are not a wuss!

Just wondering what you location is - UK, US, other? This can sometime make a difference to treatment.

I was always put in an immobiliser at first and with my first dislocation was put in one for far too long. I have hypermobility and so the muscle structures around my joints are very important, the more immobile, the worse the muscle wastage, the more instability.
It is a good idea to rest and ice as much as possible in the early stages. Take ibroprufen (as long as your allowed, ie. it doesn't effect asthma etc) and paracetamol. If you take them alternatively every 2 hours then you get optimom pain relief.

The consultant at orthopaedics will take a look at your knee, ask you about your history so tell them about the previous swelling etc. they will look at the x rays and then decide the next course of action. This will definatly be physiotherapy (PT), you also my have further investigation such as MRI to look at the structures around your knee - ligaments tendons etc. It is impossible for me to predict what will happen as everyone is different, I hope this has reassured you a bit, try not to be scared, the docs are there to help you.

In terms of recovery time, I was on crutches 8 weeks last time I dislocated but again it depends on how well you recover. You will certainly need PT to get back you mobility & movement and to improve strength. My experience with physios has always been great, they are slightly sadistic but usually are kind and understanding. Consultants can be a bit brusque but try not to be intimidated. Is your mum or dad attending appointments with you? Try and take someone along, even if it's just a friend, for a bit of moral support.

In terms of college, I work at a further education college so if you are in the UK then I know a bit about what their protocol should be. If you contact the college and let them know what has happened then they can advise you from there. Usually early on you will be doing more theory than practical so there is no reason you can't do that. There is a possibility that you could get a learning support assistant to help you with carry bags etc if not do you know any of your classmates that could help?
If you can't do full days then you could arrange for tutors to send you work to do at home. I used to support in lots of hairdressing classes and a lot of the information and assessments are online. There is no reason you should not be able to do your course even if you have to miss a few weeks, contact the college and let them help you sort out accessing your course - remember it is there job to help you get the education you want.

You are in the worst phase at the moment, it's all worry, I know. Please come back on here and let us know how you got on. You will get through this.

F
X
Bendy Childhood
1999 - Dislocation R Knee-cap
2002- dislocation L knee-cap & arthroscopy
Many subluxations & instability in both knees
2008- gave birth to daughter, PGP, subluxation and instability following birth
2010- dislocation L knee-cap
2011- EDS III diagnosis 
02/07/12- MPFL Reconstruction

Offline jssy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 04:16:35 PM »
Hey I've been. Got another xray and the nurse cut bandage off I went to consultant but I never got my knee redressed after 3 days of dislocation should I have for support? He said if it happens again I will need an op. Im still on crutches and I start physio next week. My knee feels not normal though and I hate it:(

Offline franny

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 05:55:19 PM »
 They won't dress the knee as you have no wound but am surprised they didn't give you a tubi grip or something a long those lines. I expect that they are trying to reduce the risk of muscle wastage by not giving you a brace. 

You knee won't feel normal I'm afraid, it will feel swollen and unsteady. Just take it easy, keep ontop of the pain as best you can and keep icing.

Are you seeing the consultant again?

Physio will help and they may help you feel a little more clear on what you can do and time frames etc.
The first time I dislocated my consultant wasn't very interested and it was mostly about physio.

Good luck, keep us posted and let me know if I can be of any help advice. Not doing much as recovering from my own knee op.

F
x
Bendy Childhood
1999 - Dislocation R Knee-cap
2002- dislocation L knee-cap & arthroscopy
Many subluxations & instability in both knees
2008- gave birth to daughter, PGP, subluxation and instability following birth
2010- dislocation L knee-cap
2011- EDS III diagnosis 
02/07/12- MPFL Reconstruction

Offline jssy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 06:36:22 PM »
Sorry forgot to say I was in UK, don't think I'm seeing him again just physio from next week. Mine didn't say a lot either. He said there was no point in a brace because I need to keep the muscle moving and in a few weeks to try walking with just one crutch. My issue right now is I can't fully bend my knee and I can't fully straighten it either it/s sort of inbetween so I'm wondering if that's normal or if I've maybe torn some ligament or something.

I'd hate this to happen again so I hope I'm lucky in that aspect :(

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 07:22:02 PM »
Donít over concern yourself at this point, the healing process takes more time than we are often willing to give it. Just take it one day at a time and listen to what your doctor/physio asks of you. Take the Physio seriously when you get there as itís important to recovery and future prevention. Loss of extension/flexion is normalÖ due to the trauma/swelling from the dislocation, itís the bodyís natural reaction to such things.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline jssy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 08:50:27 PM »
Can i ask if vibrating/grinding in my knee is normal? I've been trying to use my knee so that i dont get muscle wastage. I still havent heard a thing about my physio starting yet but when I move or bend my knee I feel grinding and vibrating