Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: surgery or not  (Read 1435 times)

Offline lindamarie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
surgery or not
« on: November 21, 2003, 04:47:46 AM »
can a torn meniscus heal without surgery?

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: surgery or not
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2003, 04:35:01 PM »
Hey Lindamarie !!

No they usually don't do. There's not enough bloodsupply to heal itself. Ok, you can continue go around with a torn meniscus for a while. But further or sooner you have to do something about it. You can develop arthritis finally (in the future) and if there is a loose piece it can interfere in the joint so the knee locks itself. So I recomend that you do something about it.
But remember I'm no doc. Go ask an ortopeadic surgeon, he/she can give you the best advice which suits you.
I remember your e-mail you sent a while ago to Knee Guru, I hope you feel better now.
Wish you the best !!

Hugs nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline NJandrew

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2003, 06:30:37 PM »
A torn meniscus usually won't heal itself (if ever),  I think that you should go for the surgery.

Andrew

Offline Ross

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • it only hurts when I larf!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2003, 12:22:18 AM »
lindamarie, has an orthopod diagnosed the torn meniscus or is it one of the possible causes being floated by your GP for the symptoms?  

A torn meniscus, as Nettan has rightly pointed out is unlikely to mend on its own due to the low blood supply to the actual cartilage.  I'm not a real big fan of quick fix surgery, it has been my experience that my chances of recovery from injury are inversely proportional to the level of intervention.  Give it time and try to be patient.

Keep up the exercises and build the knee up as much as you can, the better physical shape the thing is in the faster you are likely to recover.
I'm a grumpy old bear with a busted knee.  The growling you hear is my tummy rumbling!

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2003, 07:26:18 PM »
The Grumpy, grumbly old bear has a good point.. that'  it's good to give your time body to heal, it's important to keep your muscle toned to, as he said.
However, meniscus surgery is quite simple ( as surgery goes) ans recovery can be pretty quik...especially if you keep your muslce tone.
I hope that you find the answers you need.
Lot's of luck
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline popeye

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2003, 05:51:04 AM »
I've been hearing that very often the knee has to be "opened up" and resewn again after surgery--either 6 months later or longer.  I know 2 people who have had to have it done over after the first time.  I'm very hesitant to have this done myself, as soon as the inflammation goes down I'll see how I'm doing--my doctor advises me that I should only have the surgery done if I'm feeling pain and discomfort.  I'm also trying natural approaches--acupuncture, herbs, glucosamine/chondroiton/msm, etc---