Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Tight leg muscles taking their toll on the knee  (Read 2319 times)

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Tight leg muscles taking their toll on the knee
« on: August 12, 2012, 05:38:44 PM »
For most of this year I've been having terrible problems with my left leg.  When I step off it I can't get the ful extension so when I walk I can't push off properly and my foot is not rolling through so that I hardly even use my toes when I walk.  At first this wasn't accompanied by knee pain but it has been putting more and more pressure on the knee and now it is getting very sore and painful and painful to turn right or left so that I ahve to walk robotically.  AAnother problem I have is the feeling that the leg is bouncy so that I can't put it down solidly and its a really weird feeling.

I've been told that I have tight gastroc and soleus muscles and I've been given stretches to do which don't seem to help at all.  The annoying this is that I had this problem last year in the other leg and that was cured by getting new orthotics but somehow it set it off in the other leg.

Does anyone else here have issues with ight calf muscles and if so how do you deal with them.  Are there any stetches that actually work?
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Tight leg muscles taking their toll on the knee
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 07:12:47 PM »
Anyone here with gastroc and soleus issues?
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.

Offline Comjag

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 04:27:37 AM »
I can't speak to your specific condition but I badly suffered tight muscles in my legs after a medial meniscectomy on my left knee because I was walking unnaturally on the left leg. My physiotherapist gave me acupuncture and it always helped enormously in loosening the tight muscles.The leg always felt at its best after a session of acupuncture so my advice would be to give that a go.
2004 Left ankle fusion
Sep 2011 Left knee arthroscopy - partial meniscectomy of medial meniscus and chondroplasty
Mar 2012 Left knee arthroscopy - partial meniscectomy of medial meniscus
Oct-Dec 2012 series of three PRP injections into left knee.

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 12:48:17 PM »
Thanks.  That might work.  I'm not keen to ahve acupuncture on the knee though but on the calf muscles and the ankle, I think it's worth a try.  I think my PT does acupuncture, so I'll ask him if it might help.  Thanks

Offline kcknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 54
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 04:13:47 PM »
Hi kscop09-

I have had the extreme of "tight calves" with multiple compartment syndromes, and since my last fasciectomy have been working with a chiropractor who is using the Graston technique on my calf to keep the muscle fascia from reclosing and tightening with scar tissue. It's a bit painful but works great and is used by a lot of runners to loosen tight calf muscles.

The two products that help me the most are:.   
http://www.amazon.com/Perform-Better-Muscletrac/dp/B0028UD3EU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003X4BMFW/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk

Tight calves are a common runner's problem, so you might want to check out some running sites for stretches.

Kristin

12/31/08 - Skiing injury L knee
6/1/09 - ACL stump removed from joint
8/31/09 - ACLr - Hamstring Graft
12/21/09 - Ant Fasciotomy 
8/26/10 - Anterior Interval Release
12/6/10, 5/5/11, 12/22/11 - Fasciotomy
12/7/12 - Nerve Decompression
6/3/13(m), 7/29/13(l), 12/13/13(m & foot) 2/3/14(l) Fasciotomy

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 04:58:18 PM »
Thanks.  I'm tired of trying exercises where you look like your trying to push through the wall.  They just don't work.

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 10:55:19 PM »
I get very tight IT bands, which then cause the kneecap to maltrack leading to quite severe pain. I tried acupuncture and didn't find that it made an appreciable difference for me, but I responded really well to IMS (intra-muscular stimulation) which is similar to acupuncture in that it uses needles, but has physical indications for insertion points rather than meridians. Basically the PT finds muscles that are tight or knotted, and then uses a very fine needle to release them. It's very uncomfortable if the muscles are really tight (basically it does the same thing as 30 minutes of myofascial massage, but in a second or two) but brings immediate relief. If I'm in really bad shape it sometimes takes a few sessions to bring sustained relief, but it really is the only thing I've found that works. I've even started to look forward to the unpleasant cramping sensation of the muscles unknotting, because I know the knee pain will be gone afterwards. Might be worth adding this to your list of things to consider trying.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA