Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: OA after ACL reconstruction  (Read 786 times)

Offline silverghost

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
OA after ACL reconstruction
« on: August 11, 2012, 07:42:45 PM »
Hi all

Just interested in finding out if any of you guys that had ACL reconstructions back in the 80's, 90's or present developed Arthritis solely from this procedure..

It is only fairly recently that I have seen research suggesting that recons ligaments were placed incorrectly back in the day and this potentially caused OA long term.  Was anyone else aware on this?

This isn't a conspiracy theory just interested to find out how many people this may have affected and if it was common globally? not just in the uk...

cheers all.. ???
'96 ACL reconstruction
'09 Arthroscopy/cartilage repair
Diagnosed with Grade 4 OA no medial cartilage and significant varus alignment
'11 fitted with off loading knee brace
'12 HTO, meniscus transplant, acl reconstruction & microfracture all in 1 go!

Offline Rothera

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
Re: OA after ACL reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 10:22:42 PM »
I had a Dacron ACL recon in 1986 which subsequently failed. Then I had a patellar tendon graft in 1990.

I've recently had a lot of recon work on my other knee and as a matter or course mr surgeon had a look at my right knee with the old surgeries. He said they it looks excellent. Despite having skied endlessly since, and run long distance, the knee seems to be in great shape 22 years later!! No OA at all.
2011 big knee blow out! ACL rupture, lat meniscus rupture, MCL rupture 3rd degree. ACLr June plus meniscus repair. All Failed Sept 2011. Attempted ACLr and MCL Oct. bone cavitation = bone grafting. March 2012ACLr plus MCL graft with allograft. June LOAR. Clot. Wash out.
March 2013 skiing

Offline silverghost

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 10:41:40 PM »
That's really good news!!

Sorry to hear the dacron failed it appears from history they were trying out loads of different prosthetic approaches around that time and still no synthetic approaches are proving as good as the patellar or hamstring graft today.

I had the hamstring graft originally although when I was 20 i didnt care what they did as long as they sorted out my collapsing everywhere..

Glad to hear from someone who can run and ski after surgery.. nice one!

'96 ACL reconstruction

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 12:30:25 AM »
I had 2 artificial fibre ACLs placed in my right knee after a catastrophic injury in March 1989; both failed within a year of being put in thank God (one after the other I hasten to add!). As far as I know one was most definitely a carbon fibre one and they have recorded instances of ultimately dissolving and releasing carbon fibres into the body with pretty nasty consequences. There are some blogs here recounting these events. I had a patella tendon graft eventually in late 1989 and have not looked back since.

As for developing OA - who knows? I've had somewhere in the region of 20+ ops on that knee one way or the other and I'm still skiing (50+ days last season), sailing paragliding and cycling. I've given up volleyball and field hockey but that is more likely a result of my body slowing down and I always hated jogging/running for no other purpose than to say "I did XYZ miles/kms today" As far as I know, my OA is no better nor no worse than any other person my age and sporting background.

The last arthroscopy on that knee was in 2004 and nothing was said about OA. I just creaka wee bit more each day as I crawl out of bed I suppose, but I call that getting old!  ;D
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline silverghost

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 07:44:39 AM »
I carried on quite actively post ACL and played football and lots of golf it seemed the OA developed quite rapidly though over the last 2-3 years to grade 4 and i really felt it pre op!!

I always wanted to go skiing and wanted to be able to go with my kids but guess now docs would not advise this at all.. especially with the meniscus transplant.. I think it will have to be virtual skiing..

I think everyone on this site that has only just started with a knee problem should read these threads and get there booty out the door and do things they always wanted too before its too late!!!

Glad to hear no OA though!!!
'96 ACL reconstruction

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 09:14:06 AM »
All my doctors in the UK said I would never walk again without a stick and would need a new knee at 60 but as I was only 38 at the time and a PE teacher in a high school. I had to educate myself about what was happening not only in my knee but also what was going on in the world of orthopaedics. As aresult I was able to counter my doctors arguments and push for treatment.

When my left knee was injured here in Germany there was never ever any talk of being crippled nor sticks. No dire warnings about sports, although they did advise me to not take up road running! I was considerably older by then and no longer a sports teacher but I was immediately asked what my aims were with the regard to sports. I listed my regular ones and they OK'ed all of them with no restrictions.

Here you are considered to be an oddity if you do not practise some kind of outdoor activity of some sort or another. Even the most bookish cycle! Movement of the joints helps keep any arthritis at bay and the German and Austrian medical systems are based on prophylactic medicine in preference to reactive as it is most definitely cheaper in the long run. This enables the medical services to be able to offer good trauma treatment when it is required followed up with excellent rehab services.

Sue  :)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline silverghost

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 10:03:38 AM »
I think you have hit the nail on the had with those comments.

In the UK i think we are told to rest and be careful too much and this is partly because whilst there is a national health system every injury costs the state money and time and rather than help treat these the state would rather they did not happen in the first place.

I don't think in the last 20 years people have been encouraged here to exercise due to exorbitant gym costs and lack of things like cycle tracks and sports equipment.. Hence the arguments at the moment saying that most of our olympic athletes come from private schooling and no funding is available nationally...

I agree that a lot of our symptoms and problems you have to research yourself and really push to get any help...  Again its the old postcode lottery in the UK whereby the help you get depends on how good your GP is and if there is funding in your area of illness and in your area you live!

Its amazing still to hear in this day and age that people anywhere can't get basic help and advice and even have to come to a website to ask others if they know anything!...  Where are all these 250,000 per annum GP's getting there training!!
'96 ACL reconstruction