Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: The (not so) magical mystery knee  (Read 914 times)

Offline Rider24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
The (not so) magical mystery knee
« on: August 12, 2012, 12:38:07 AM »
Mods- I posted this in the Patello Femoral folder but noticed this one was busier. Please feel free to delete either one if you need to  :)

Hello everyone! I found this forum looking for knee info & figured I would post. 

During the spring I was running about 2 miles several times a week. On one run I felt a sudden pain, like someone hit me in the knee/upper shin with a sledge hammer.  Went to the ER due to pain, shin was Xrayed and declared clear. Fast forward 4 weeks, the darn knee kept swelling up so I went to my orthopedic.

1st visit- Patello-femoral strain. Gave me a PT order

2nd visit- lateral cortisone injection & more PT

still not right, getting worse so...

3rd visit- MRI order & more PT

Follow up visit- Clear MRI, medial cortisone injection.  Patella still maltracking. PTO brace.

The swelling went down a bit with the last injection, but pain is still there & getting worse. The pain is located on the lower medial side and wraps around the patella.

I have made progress in PT with ITB/Quad/Hamstring strength & flexibility but it's not right & hurts!!  I don't think not being able to walk after PT is too good  ::)

I see the Ortho again the beginning of next month. He said if it's still not right he may have to scope it. May be a Plica. Surgery isn't on my list of things to do, anyone experience anything like this before?

Thanks in advance.

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: The (not so) magical mystery knee
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 07:41:53 PM »
I wonder if you might have plica since they don't show up on MRI and are extremely ahrd to diagnose without a scope.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 04:00:27 AM »
It doesn't sound like you've ever been given a specific diagnosis?

A lot could be going on, a scope may or may not help it. Suggest you read around the patellafemoral board, and learn a little about the various reasons "why" a patella mal-tracks - then discuss with your OS at your next appointment.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline Rider24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 03:59:08 PM »
Allyd- Thanks for the suggestion, I've been looking around the boards alot, they are very helpful.  The OS originally diagnosed it as Patellofemoral pain, but it isn't getting better with PT.  Luckily my patella doesn't dislocate or move around extensively. It's more of a catching sensation.  OS was kinda surprised my Meniscus looked fine. Plica is the current theory.

Kscope09- Thanks, Plica is the theory right now.  My PT seems to agree. The MRI being clear was good news, but super frustrating as well! I'm not a huge fan of the idea of having surgery without a definite diagnosis.

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 04:57:22 PM »
RE: Patella-femoral pain – This is sort of a catch all diagnosis. It’s not incorrect, it’s just not telling the whole story of where/why it is coming from. Definitely could be something simple like plica. But like you, I’d want a clear, confident answer/action plan from my OS before agreeing to any surgery. Just don’t be afraid to ask a lot of questions… as in my opinion this helps me trust my OS. I may not understand or agree with everything they say – but for me it’s how they say it and degree of confidence they have in their answer. 
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening