Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Epidural & catheterisation  (Read 813 times)

Offline veganbee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Epidural & catheterisation
« on: August 10, 2012, 05:08:02 PM »
Hi all

I am having a trochleoplasty on 27 Sept and when I had my consultation with my OS he said it would be done by GA with an epidural for post op pain. I wonder if someone might be able to share their experience if they've had the same approach in their op, and also let me know what being catheterised is like (and what happens when they take it out - does it hurt etc?) as this is the main worry for me.

Any input much appreciated!

Thanks

Bee

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Epidural & catheterisation
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 09:45:23 PM »
I had an epidural when I had my son, the kind where they left a catheter in place so they could add anesthetic as needed... I never felt it when they took the catheter out, if that helps any.  I was numbed from sternum down to have a c-section, which is way different than a knee op, but figured I'd just share my experience, in case it helps you any.

If you're having a general anesthetic and an epidural for pain management later as you say, they may wait to give you the epidural until after you're out - which would be an easier way to do it, if you ask me.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline silverghost

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 07:27:08 PM »
Hi

I guess the epidural is the same sort of thing as a nerve block.  I was amazed how well they can control where they want to block..  I had no feeling on the top of my leg but perfect feeling underneath it... apparently they can block off wherever they want with a specific nerve which they do during the operation.

A lot of people said they had real intense pain when the feeling comes back after a couple of days but as long as you keep on top of your meds i.e lots of morphine!! the pain kind of eases in gradually,, i felt anyway..

I have had a catheter fitted several times as I can never go to the loo post op due to the anaesthetic, as a man it is not a comfy procedure and I guess not for a woman too but they have never hurt me or caused pain only relief!!  They have to be done by a doc anyhow cos the risk of infection is high with them so you will be in good hands!!  If they do all this during your op you wont feel a thing..

Anyhow hope your op goes well and rest easy..
'96 ACL reconstruction
'09 Arthroscopy/cartilage repair
Diagnosed with Grade 4 OA no medial cartilage and significant varus alignment
'11 fitted with off loading knee brace
'12 HTO, meniscus transplant, acl reconstruction & microfracture all in 1 go!

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 11:24:00 PM »
Hi there,

You will find the cath a real blessing, especially that first day when you don't feel your leg very well.  For whatever reason this last PKR they didn't put one in and with my leg completely numb I had to get up each time I needed to go-it was really tricky, even with help to use crutches while tethered to an IV while you are on morphine.  Don't worry about it again.

Good luck on your surgery :)

Linda
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline veganbee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 07:47:21 PM »
Thank you for your replies! I am feeling much more positive about it now  :D seems like its actually the best option!

support