Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: How do I pursuade a OS that I need a knee replacement  (Read 1297 times)

Offline marco4432

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
How do I pursuade a OS that I need a knee replacement
« on: August 09, 2012, 09:00:40 AM »
Hi all,

My last OS appointment my Doctor told me I need a new knee, but he said it would be difficult to find a surgeon as I'm 48 years old, the pain is dibilating, I wont be able to work, pay rent , Insurance , Car or morgage, What do I need to do to explain this. I've tried they fob me off, tell me to go to PM Doc, I have been taking every opiode under the sun.

Please this is what I don't understand with out this I'm done, I will not be able to support my self, I'm just looking for a few more years, some people tell be that they have had a TKR done and wished they had done it years ago, if they perform the operation and it is not successful what difference will it make, if I cant work I cant live or want to why wont they operate while I still can work and pay insurance, I don't understand please any input would be greatly appreciated, I just dont know how much longer I can go on I work as a restaurant manager, Thats the only qualifcation's  I have. Surely there must be someone who understands my predictment, any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated, I spend most of my days with non stop thoughts on how to end my life, its not normal , I'm losing my mind

Thanks for your time and consideraton
R Knee Arthospic  06/01/2010, partial lateral menisectomy synvisc injections
Start of dibilitating pain after operation
Ri knee Arthosopic Meniscus tear 03/13/11
partial lateral menisectomy synvisc
 Nerve Surgery09/15/2011Right knee
12/23/11 CT scan nerve block
02/29/12 2nd failed nerve surgery

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: How do I pursuade a OS that I need a knee replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 12:56:37 PM »
It's not THAT difficult to find an OS to do a TKR at a younger age if it's truly the only option. I'm 40, and that's where I'm at. I've just gone through those nasty Hyalgan shots as a last ditch option, and they didn't do much. My knee's shot, and the doc told me plainly that if the shots didn't make a big difference, that realistically, it wasn't worth doing an arthroscopy for a suspect torn meniscus on the side of my knee that's wrecked, because the bone's in such bad shape - I'd still be in just as much pain walking after. Well, it's looking for me like the TKR is the next thing - the question is when I decide to do it, and I have a surgeon who will.

So - don't give up. Have standing xrays, including the view with your knee bent showing the alignment of the kneecap in the groove, a recent MRI of good quality, and if you have them, your most recent scope pics, if you've had any surgeries - then seek other opinions.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline knee2no

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 05:54:14 PM »
You need to find another OS.  If you get turned down you need to look for another.   You are not too young.  I have 2 aquaintances who are younger than you (female) and one had double knee replacement.  Your age is not ideal but should not prohibit TKR.
I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug.

I will not be ashamed to say "I know not", nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed.

Offline marco4432

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 10:18:34 PM »
Thanks for all the replies,

I might try to find another OS, but I'm not sure I have the strength or the will to do so.
Wow I just wish I never had the first surgery, its been downhill since then, and the OS are aware but money is more important to them, What amuses me most is after a surgery fails how the OS there office and Hospitals dump you no matter how many times you try to contact them.

Good luck to everyone, I have now decided on my next cure
R Knee Arthospic  06/01/2010, partial lateral menisectomy synvisc injections
Start of dibilitating pain after operation
Ri knee Arthosopic Meniscus tear 03/13/11
partial lateral menisectomy synvisc
 Nerve Surgery09/15/2011Right knee
12/23/11 CT scan nerve block
02/29/12 2nd failed nerve surgery

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 11:18:11 PM »
Okay Marco,

take a breath, throw a short pity party(we all have and we all will come and support you) and then get going on that next OS.  You have a job as a manager-you are a take charge kind of person by nature.  Don't be discouraged by your first or second or even third no.  I know you are not accustomed to hearing no because you are the boss, but take up the challenge.  Your OS is your employee-a very specially trained one- but he works for you.  If he doesn't work in your best interest, find one that does. You have another 40 or 50 years to wear that knee-how long do you want to be in pain?  Check the listings here for someone you can trust in your area and go to them.

I'll be watching for the good news of you finding that next surgeon :)

Linda
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012