Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Second ACL Reconstruction?? PLease help  (Read 2289 times)

Offline katemcplay

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Second ACL Reconstruction?? PLease help
« on: August 09, 2012, 08:26:27 AM »
Hi all
Could anyone give information about a second ACL reconstruction surgery on the same leg?
Any Info would be great as I would like to have some knowledge about the procedure before I see my surgeon. :)

Thank you 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 08:28:24 AM by katemcplay »

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: Second ACL Reconstruction?? PLease help
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 10:41:31 AM »
Hi kate
 I have just had the first stage of a 2 stage revision of my acl, do you know if its a 1 stage or 2 stage revision you will be having? If its a 2 stage like I have had done then you will have a bone graft first,  the reason I had to have the 2 stage is because the original tunnels where in the wrong position which is most likely the reason the graft failed in the first place, if there is no problem with the tunnel's then it should just be a straight forward revision, there are a few people who have had the revision on this board so it might be an idea to have a wee read around and see what info you can get from them.
Any questions about anything please just ask.
Take care Tez   
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 11:11:06 AM »
Hi Kate,

sorry to have to welcome you to this site  ;D But you have come to the best place on the Internet to find out information, discuss various treatments and most importantly, vent your frustrations where the listeners REALLY do understand and can offer constructive sympathy.

I have had 2 revisions on my right knee and one on my left, giving the sad total of 5 reconstructions in total when you take into account the original operations!  ::) So either I am a real klutz or I have just been unlucky!  ;D Whichever I am I have a sorry wealth of experience in the revision process which you are more than welcome to plumb into to see if you can answer any of your questions or worries.

An unmissable part of this site for anyone about to undergo a revision of an ACL reconstruction is to read the section on Cruiciate Ligaments in the Information Hub from beginning to end (http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/2256 ). There is an excellent article about the reasons for a reconstructed ACL to fail written by one of the top surgeons in the USA - http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/155

Once you have some background then search the forums for rehab diaries about ACL revisions. BUT do not be put off by sad stories or mishaps; it is the nature of the beast that on a forum like this people mostly come for help AFTER the event. This means that the general impression gleaned just from this site can be that you are "doomed to failure", which is actually very very wrong. The people that have no problems whatsoever never come here and if some do, they quickly disappear after a few questions and report backs as they have their lives back and are busily enjoying themselves.

Since my first ACL injury in 1989 the procedures have come on tremendously, but what has not changed is that every single operation be it a minimally invasive arthroscopic one or major open knee surgery, is different and your response is also different. Each operation is unique to you in terms of your body's response, your surgeons procedure and their preferred rehab protocol. there are commonalities, but after 5 ACL operations I can assure you that no two operations or post-op rehabs are identical. What I have learnt here has helped me and so I have remained here to give back to the site users some of the help and support that helped me through the years I have been a member.

Sue  ;)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline katemcplay

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 08:17:53 PM »
thank you guys for your help and support, I am getting 2 stage revision but I was never told why, so that's interesting info to have, I will confirm the reason with the surgeon.
thank you for the useful links and tips.

Offline Rothera

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 08:35:54 PM »
My ACL failed after 8 weeks. I'm guessing the reason you're having two stage is they have to fill in the bone cavities first, let that heal and then do another ACLr as if from scratch. That's what happened to me anyway. Unfortunately I went in for the revision, and an MCL reconstruction at the same time, but wasn't warned about the 2 Stage process. So came round to find I'd only had the bone grafting stage and then had to wait 6 months for the full procedure.
Anyway, I'm all done now and doing really well!
Find out if this is the process for you.
2011 big knee blow out! ACL rupture, lat meniscus rupture, MCL rupture 3rd degree. ACLr June plus meniscus repair. All Failed Sept 2011. Attempted ACLr and MCL Oct. bone cavitation = bone grafting. March 2012ACLr plus MCL graft with allograft. June LOAR. Clot. Wash out.
March 2013 skiing

Offline silverghost

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 02:13:38 PM »
Hi Kate

I think Sue summed everything pretty much up.  I agree that every surgeon does things slightly different but there are some similarities I think especially in rehab..guidelines.

I did find out that things have changed slightly over the last few years. I read a few research reports advising that back in the day when I had my 1st ACL reconstruction surgeons were putting the ligament back in the wrong?! place.  I believe things have moved on greatly since and they are being put in correct position of which reduces the chances of OA occuring. 

When I had my first ACL op in 1993 i wasn't advised that I would develop OA in due course and now have found out the hard way. 

It would be interesting to hear the experiences with this of other knee guru's as nobody having an ACL reconstruction when I was recently in hospital said anything or was advised about OA.  Is this still occurring or are all consultants now putting the ligament in the correct position?  Also did anyone else have the original op the same time as me i.e Sue, and have you developed OA in due course... be interesting to hear your thoughts?

regards

silverghost
'96 ACL reconstruction
'09 Arthroscopy/cartilage repair
Diagnosed with Grade 4 OA no medial cartilage and significant varus alignment
'11 fitted with off loading knee brace
'12 HTO, meniscus transplant, acl reconstruction & microfracture all in 1 go!