Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Finally getting my PFJR!  (Read 15303 times)

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
Re: Finally getting my PFJR!
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 11:25:23 PM »
How wonderful for your son to have good offers and have the luxury of choosing.  For your sake I hope it is the one closest to you-less time to visit and cheaper flights home for the holidays!  I was always grateful that our girls chose state schools when we had to load up the van and move them into the dorm or their apartments each year.

Last PKR I had very good intentions of cooking ahead, but with all the extra lesson prep and being on crutches and tired by the end of the day I really didn't get much done.  Good thing my husband can cook.  I bless my mother-in-law on a regular basis for teaching him how to keep house(as well as most women).  My husband was the youngest boy and when his sister went off to college had the choice of working in the barn with his dad and brothers(who found him an annoying pest) or help his Mom in the house.  He chose the warm, clean house.

Have you stocked up on probiotics yet?  Some of them help build up your immune system(a lot of which is affected by your gut bacteria) and some like acidophilus and lactobacillus and the like will prevent the dreaded post-surgery-but-on-antibiotics stomach problems.

Enjoy your last few days of independence before the surgery, and you know that you are already in my prayers.

Linda :)
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline LisaDX

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 12:10:31 AM »
Great news... I saw a new PT today, who was really helpful and knowledgable. I've seen her a couple of times in the last few years, as a fill in for my regular PT, so we have somewhat of a history. She also has a working knowledge of MS and how that can affect my rehab, which is a definite plus. It's so good to know that I'll have somebody ready when I am. Everything is coming together, and I'll be in good shape for surgery.

Linda, I have tried probiotics, but my neuro questioned the need. It's hard when one doctor says yes and another doesn't think they're necessary. They always steer me away from anything that boosts my immune system, since that is the thing that's gone haywire. I can't even take echinacea! Probiotics do make a lot of sense, and are even recommended in the MS diets.  I guess I'll have to rely on my own instincts! Thanks for thinking of me!
1975 Left Knee arthrotomy, no diagnosis
1984 Left Knee arthroscopy, no diagnosis
1987 Left Knee Lateral Release, successful
2007 Right Knee Lat. Release, unsuccessful
2011 chondromalacia patella, PF OA
        Arthroscopy, chondroplasty
2011 Diagnosed MS

Offline LisaDX

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 11:01:47 PM »
Heard from my OS today about the OATS and weightbearing. She says that I will be at 50% wb for four weeks. Of course, this means that I won't be driving for at least that, unless I pull an Ally D! I have also been referred to a PT in my home town that she has worked with, already scheduled appointments for two weeks post op.  Even better, the PT did a residency in MS management, so I'm in good hands there as well. In all, a very productive day and closer to my comfort zone!
2011 Diagnosed MS

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 02:20:45 AM »
Wow, Lisa, this has been a terrific week all around.  Sounds like you're getting set to be your OS's oats-and-PFJR success poster-child.  You know that if they expect 50%wb at 4 weeks it is probably a conservative expectation, so all your pre-hab has been worth it.  You are sooo ready for this! :)

Linda
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 03:02:27 AM »
Ha. Lisa - My driving @ the 2 week mark wasn't necessarily 100% advisable. So probably best to just follow her instructions.  ;) You don't want to get caught not listening! I've learned our doc is much more pleasant when you are following the plan and are on track to recovery. But she's not an OS that will ban you from driving for months. She'll leave it up to you when you have control to go from the brake to accelerator.

So glad to hear that she got you set up with a knowledgable PT.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline LisaDX

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2012, 04:00:57 AM »
So good to hear from you, Ally! I just had to add your driving rebellion! I'm a little older than you, so I tend to be more cautious! I really am happy with the way things are progressing. It looks like everyone who matters is on board now and all I have to do is show up!
Linda, your confidence is contagious! I hope I can live up to your expectations! I'll keep you all posted, otherwise, you'll see me in post op!
2011 Diagnosed MS

Offline seerobinbike

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2012, 08:21:50 PM »
Lisa, Lisa, Lisa! ;D ;D ;D

I wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you and your upcoming operation and sending lots of healing thoughts your way.  I hope that this is the beginning of a much easier and painfree life for you.  My replacement turned 9 months old yesterday and it's doing really, really well.  It will be a lot of work in the first few months but it gets easier and all the small advances you make will add up to be gigantic gains.  It's such a pleasure to walk with no pain again that I can't even begin to tell you how worth it it was. 

Big ole hugs and good thoughts,

Robin xx
Jan. 12: PKR.
June 10:  Meniscus surgery.
Most of '09:  PT to help constant knee pain.

Offline LisaDX

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2012, 01:32:23 AM »
Thanks, Robin!
I've been getting a little anxious, and this helps a lot! I've had 5 knee surgeries, so I understand pain, and can definitely handle it if the end result is like yours! 4 days from now I'll be done...
2011 Diagnosed MS

Offline seerobinbike

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2012, 09:57:48 PM »
You are so welcome Lisa!  Update us when you can and let us know how well you are doing. :)  Good vibes...good vibes....good vibes.

Robin

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2012, 12:33:08 AM »
Hi Lisa,

You're almost there!  I'll be praying for your successful surgery and quick recovery.  Hope to hear good news in a few days.

God bless you :)

Linda
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline LisaDX

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2012, 03:21:19 AM »
Thanks, friends! Getting nervous, but I'm on the final stretch and you guys help so much. Success stories rock!
2011 Diagnosed MS

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2012, 04:29:50 AM »
Good Luck this week.

p.s. make sure you know your plan/post-op protocol. There will be a verbal quiz pre-surgery! (or I just look like a untrustworthy person) - She wanted to hear me say it, not her. This convo didn't go well for me as I was already on the happy drugs, ('I don't know' or 'whatever you say', is NOT an acceptable answer  ??? okay, I tried a 'I don't think you said' - her reply: 'yes, i did.' and she then proceeded to wait for my answer...). So, thought I'd just give you fair warning!

Offline LisaDX

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2012, 05:29:57 PM »
They actually ran me through that with the pre surgery nurse! Guess they really want to know that I know what they're doing to me. Thanks for the warning, though! Why did she wait till the happy drugs were on board? I'd probably respond the same way you did. Aargh! Guess I could use the "MS affects my cognitive processes" excuse. Think she'll buy it?
2011 Diagnosed MS

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2012, 07:14:54 PM »
Haha. Better excuse than mine. Do I think she’ll buy it? Nope. And I have NO IDEA why she waited for the drugs. Probably not on purpose, although she probably does get more honest answers… she basically ran through it when she came by to sign the leg/informed consent, etc. which was 10 minutes before they wheeled me back. For some reason, this conversation is my sister’s favorite part of my surgery day?! Apparently it was entertaining to watch her put me in place. Maybe she won't grill you... maybe that was just for me and my stubborness.  ;D

Offline seerobinbike

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2012, 03:27:17 AM »
Hahaha Allyd...you troublemaker.  I love it. 

Lisa!  Your surgery date is drawing nearer so I'm sending along more good and healing thoughts to you. Here we go...Good vibes....good vibes...fast healing...no pain...fast recovery...good vibes.  Hum.  That should do it for you.  You will be kissing and talking to your knee before you know it.  8)

Hugs to you.

Robin xx

support