Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Finally getting my PFJR!  (Read 15301 times)

Offline LisaDX

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Finally getting my PFJR!
« on: August 07, 2012, 09:19:34 PM »
After a long history of treatment for knee pain, from physical therapy to cortisone shots and Supartz injections to lateral release and chondroplasty, I'm finally scheduled for a shiny new patello femoral joint replacement on October 12.  I've been told that I'm virtually bone on bone in the patellofemoral compartment, so the PFJR seemed like an obvious choice.  However, on arthroscopy in December, they found a lesion in the medial compartment, which suggested that a TKR would be more effective.  Because the majority of my knee is in great shape, my OS has decided to do an OATS procedure on that lesion, while doing the PFJR.

I'm definitely ready for this surgery.  My OA has advanced so quickly (my OS compared MRI films from 2006 and 2010 and saw a decrease in articular cartilage of about 70% in only 5 years), and pain relief is rare.  I've been cleared by my neurologist (I've been recently diagnosed with MS) and my primary doctor is coordinating everyone who will be working on me!  I've heard nothing but good things about the OS who will be doing the surgery, and I feel very comfortable with the surgical plan.  I'll be adding a post-op thread when we get closer.
1975 Left Knee arthrotomy, no diagnosis
1984 Left Knee arthroscopy, no diagnosis
1987 Left Knee Lateral Release, successful
2007 Right Knee Lat. Release, unsuccessful
2011 chondromalacia patella, PF OA
        Arthroscopy, chondroplasty
2011 Diagnosed MS

Offline 15run

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Re: Finally getting my PFJR!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 11:27:43 PM »
hi LisaDX - will look forward to following your posts.  I have a similar combination of ruined bits and am trying to look at PFJR options.  and yours is in combination with OATS... in multiple surgeries?  Did you have any misalignment of the patella diagnosed prior to lateral release? 
I am shocked by the progression of your cartilage loss - although by my increase in symptoms i am sure i have had rather rapid deterioration as well and i've been looking to any possible way to slow down the inevitable.  I'd be interested to know who your OS is - as it sounds like you are in good hands.   I will have to travel to find an expert but I am prepared to do so at this stage.  Once you have a plan you can at least focus on the positive pain-free future.
2001 chondromalacia, xrays
synovisc, 2011 mri,

Offline LisaDX

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 12:14:43 AM »
I'll be having the PFJR and OATS at the same time. I originally was scheduled for a TTT last December, but they discovered that instability really wasn't my problem. Everything looked good as far as tracking, etc, but the arthritis was far worse than they had thought.  Cleaned everything up and tried to buy time before the replacement.  I guess 10 months is more than I had expected.  I'm seeing Dr. Arendt at the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis.  I was referred to her a year ago when my previous OS told me to research my treatment options, he was recommending a PFJR at that time, but hadn't done many.  Dr. Arendt has done many with very few complications, and I feel very confident with her treatment plan.
2011 Diagnosed MS

Offline 15run

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 01:56:34 AM »
I had sent Dr arendt my mri notes in May.  I should probably follow up.  Since I have to drive 4 hrs I was hoping she could tell if PFJR would be feasible for me.  I have no instability either - just extensive loss on  lateral patella, trochlea and facet and I really want there to be less severe options than TKR.  Just finding them is a full time job though. 
2001 chondromalacia, xrays
synovisc, 2011 mri,

Offline LisaDX

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 04:30:08 AM »
Definitely call over there. She's really busy and most often it takes 2 to 3 months to see her. Has your PCP referred you? It might help with scheduling.  I completely agree with avoiding the TKR, and I was pleasantly surprised when she suggested a PFJR with OATS would work.  Kind of uneasy about the OATS, but if it saves my knee, I'm there!  Just a thought: did you send the films or just the notes? If you don't have them, definitely get a copy, at least for your records. I've got a huge file! Good luck!
2011 Diagnosed MS

Offline Dave258

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 10:33:47 PM »
Lisa, just in case I miss you before you go into surgery, good luck!  Hopefully after we can compare our notes of success!
Dave

Offline LisaDX

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 04:16:23 AM »
I was evaluated by a new PT, who congratulated me on keeping up with my rehab work. He said that the muscles in my right leg are looking great, especially since MS has caused so much weakness. He thinks that if I keep up with my "prehab" work, it will make my post op much better. I still don't have an answer about how the OATS will affect that, but have an email out to my OS and will hopefully know within the week. It won't change my decision about the surgery, but I do like to have all the information I can beforehand!
2011 Diagnosed MS

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 12:22:05 AM »
Hi Lisa,

Isn't it great to have the end of all this in sight!  Glad to hear that your MS is not interfering with surgery plans.  Hopefully having less than a month to go will lower the stress you have been dealing with-all the uncertainty of last summer-and your MS will improve each day as you move toward the big day.   With your prehab going so well, hopefully you will sail through all of this and have one of those post-op diaries that everyone uses as an example of everything going right.

Linda :)
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline LisaDX

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 01:30:27 AM »
Thanks, Linda! From your lips to God's ears! I feel pretty confident. Not so great today with traveling (road trip to the east coast to look at colleges with my son). Really behind on my stretching, etc. Home on Saturday, so I'll have almost 2 weeks to get back before the big day.
2011 Diagnosed MS

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 12:32:26 AM »
Another milestone-the college hunt roadtrip.  Don't you just wonder what you are doing with such old children?  Have a safe and happy trip ( and hopefully find some scholarship money at the school he likes best).

right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline LisaDX

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 02:06:02 AM »
Oh no, he's not old, he's precocious! I have a feeling my kids are responsible for all my knee pain. Chasing after 3 boys... What do you think? Visit was ok today, didn't see the clarinet professor, who was the one professor he wanted to see. Hugely successful music conservatory, hard to decide without seeing everyone.  We'll see, I suppose.
2011 Diagnosed MS

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 12:55:34 AM »
And I can blame it on my parents- wonderful people, but both of them with different arthritis.  Mom with osteo and fibromyalgia, Dad with rheumatoid and Sjogrens. I got some of each.   By the time I had arthritis hit my girls were almost out of High School, so they helped me rather than me running after them.

How great to hear you have a musician.  Here in Appleton, WI we have Lawrence University which is known nationally for its music program.  If the east doesn't pan out, you can always look west!

right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline LisaDX

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 02:55:08 AM »
Funny, we were just talking about Lawrence! When my son was in state honor orchestra, the conductor was a professor from Lawrence. He's actually looking more at conservatories for his masters in performance, but does have two universities he's considering, East Carolina University and Ohio State. Great teachers, which is his main concern.
2011 Diagnosed MS

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 04:42:15 PM »
What a coincidence!  To already have a tie to Lawrence.  A good teacher is the key to being the best in your field, someone who is not just excellent themselves, but can identify the strengths and weaknesses of their student and help them bring out their best.  I hope that one or the other school's clarinet guy will be that special teacher for your son.

I expect you are home by today.  I've been crazy busy this week with homecoming and to add to the busyness, parent conferences, so I was slow to respond.  You are really in the final countdown.  I expect you are about ready to go into the cleaning frenzy that seems to always precede a surgery.  Take it easy.  Nobody is planning to eat off your floors, so just be kind to yourself-spend some time taking care of the fun things like a nice hair cut or a trip to the mall.  You deserve it.

Take care.

right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline LisaDX

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 09:12:07 PM »
Yes, I survived the trip! My son has two solid offers, one from North Carolina and the other from Ohio State. I think he was happy with the trip, really able to narrow down exactly what he's looking for and made some valuable contacts. Worth it all around! I'm getting ready to prepare meals for when I'm down. Really don't want fast food if I'm playing with pain meds! I'm pretty confident, and have been working on channeling Millie, Karen, Linda and Robin for positive recovery! I'm at 12 days and counting!
2011 Diagnosed MS

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 11:25:23 PM »
How wonderful for your son to have good offers and have the luxury of choosing.  For your sake I hope it is the one closest to you-less time to visit and cheaper flights home for the holidays!  I was always grateful that our girls chose state schools when we had to load up the van and move them into the dorm or their apartments each year.

Last PKR I had very good intentions of cooking ahead, but with all the extra lesson prep and being on crutches and tired by the end of the day I really didn't get much done.  Good thing my husband can cook.  I bless my mother-in-law on a regular basis for teaching him how to keep house(as well as most women).  My husband was the youngest boy and when his sister went off to college had the choice of working in the barn with his dad and brothers(who found him an annoying pest) or help his Mom in the house.  He chose the warm, clean house.

Have you stocked up on probiotics yet?  Some of them help build up your immune system(a lot of which is affected by your gut bacteria) and some like acidophilus and lactobacillus and the like will prevent the dreaded post-surgery-but-on-antibiotics stomach problems.

Enjoy your last few days of independence before the surgery, and you know that you are already in my prayers.

right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline LisaDX

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 12:10:31 AM »
Great news... I saw a new PT today, who was really helpful and knowledgable. I've seen her a couple of times in the last few years, as a fill in for my regular PT, so we have somewhat of a history. She also has a working knowledge of MS and how that can affect my rehab, which is a definite plus. It's so good to know that I'll have somebody ready when I am. Everything is coming together, and I'll be in good shape for surgery.

Linda, I have tried probiotics, but my neuro questioned the need. It's hard when one doctor says yes and another doesn't think they're necessary. They always steer me away from anything that boosts my immune system, since that is the thing that's gone haywire. I can't even take echinacea! Probiotics do make a lot of sense, and are even recommended in the MS diets.  I guess I'll have to rely on my own instincts! Thanks for thinking of me!
2011 Diagnosed MS

Offline LisaDX

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 11:01:47 PM »
Heard from my OS today about the OATS and weightbearing. She says that I will be at 50% wb for four weeks. Of course, this means that I won't be driving for at least that, unless I pull an Ally D! I have also been referred to a PT in my home town that she has worked with, already scheduled appointments for two weeks post op.  Even better, the PT did a residency in MS management, so I'm in good hands there as well. In all, a very productive day and closer to my comfort zone!
2011 Diagnosed MS

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 02:20:45 AM »
Wow, Lisa, this has been a terrific week all around.  Sounds like you're getting set to be your OS's oats-and-PFJR success poster-child.  You know that if they expect 50%wb at 4 weeks it is probably a conservative expectation, so all your pre-hab has been worth it.  You are sooo ready for this! :)

Linda
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 03:02:27 AM »
Ha. Lisa - My driving @ the 2 week mark wasn't necessarily 100% advisable. So probably best to just follow her instructions.  ;) You don't want to get caught not listening! I've learned our doc is much more pleasant when you are following the plan and are on track to recovery. But she's not an OS that will ban you from driving for months. She'll leave it up to you when you have control to go from the brake to accelerator.

So glad to hear that she got you set up with a knowledgable PT.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline LisaDX

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2012, 04:00:57 AM »
So good to hear from you, Ally! I just had to add your driving rebellion! I'm a little older than you, so I tend to be more cautious! I really am happy with the way things are progressing. It looks like everyone who matters is on board now and all I have to do is show up!
Linda, your confidence is contagious! I hope I can live up to your expectations! I'll keep you all posted, otherwise, you'll see me in post op!
2011 Diagnosed MS

Offline seerobinbike

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2012, 08:21:50 PM »
Lisa, Lisa, Lisa! ;D ;D ;D

I wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you and your upcoming operation and sending lots of healing thoughts your way.  I hope that this is the beginning of a much easier and painfree life for you.  My replacement turned 9 months old yesterday and it's doing really, really well.  It will be a lot of work in the first few months but it gets easier and all the small advances you make will add up to be gigantic gains.  It's such a pleasure to walk with no pain again that I can't even begin to tell you how worth it it was. 

Big ole hugs and good thoughts,

Robin xx
Jan. 12: PKR.
June 10:  Meniscus surgery.
Most of '09:  PT to help constant knee pain.

Offline LisaDX

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2012, 01:32:23 AM »
Thanks, Robin!
I've been getting a little anxious, and this helps a lot! I've had 5 knee surgeries, so I understand pain, and can definitely handle it if the end result is like yours! 4 days from now I'll be done...
2011 Diagnosed MS

Offline seerobinbike

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2012, 09:57:48 PM »
You are so welcome Lisa!  Update us when you can and let us know how well you are doing. :)  Good vibes...good vibes....good vibes.

Robin

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2012, 12:33:08 AM »
Hi Lisa,

You're almost there!  I'll be praying for your successful surgery and quick recovery.  Hope to hear good news in a few days.

God bless you :)

Linda
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline LisaDX

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2012, 03:21:19 AM »
Thanks, friends! Getting nervous, but I'm on the final stretch and you guys help so much. Success stories rock!
2011 Diagnosed MS

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2012, 04:29:50 AM »
Good Luck this week.

p.s. make sure you know your plan/post-op protocol. There will be a verbal quiz pre-surgery! (or I just look like a untrustworthy person) - She wanted to hear me say it, not her. This convo didn't go well for me as I was already on the happy drugs, ('I don't know' or 'whatever you say', is NOT an acceptable answer  ??? okay, I tried a 'I don't think you said' - her reply: 'yes, i did.' and she then proceeded to wait for my answer...). So, thought I'd just give you fair warning!

Offline LisaDX

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2012, 05:29:57 PM »
They actually ran me through that with the pre surgery nurse! Guess they really want to know that I know what they're doing to me. Thanks for the warning, though! Why did she wait till the happy drugs were on board? I'd probably respond the same way you did. Aargh! Guess I could use the "MS affects my cognitive processes" excuse. Think she'll buy it?
2011 Diagnosed MS

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2012, 07:14:54 PM »
Haha. Better excuse than mine. Do I think she’ll buy it? Nope. And I have NO IDEA why she waited for the drugs. Probably not on purpose, although she probably does get more honest answers… she basically ran through it when she came by to sign the leg/informed consent, etc. which was 10 minutes before they wheeled me back. For some reason, this conversation is my sister’s favorite part of my surgery day?! Apparently it was entertaining to watch her put me in place. Maybe she won't grill you... maybe that was just for me and my stubborness.  ;D

Offline seerobinbike

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2012, 03:27:17 AM »
Hahaha Allyd...you troublemaker.  I love it. 

Lisa!  Your surgery date is drawing nearer so I'm sending along more good and healing thoughts to you. Here we go...Good vibes....good vibes...fast healing...no pain...fast recovery...good vibes.  Hum.  That should do it for you.  You will be kissing and talking to your knee before you know it.  8)

Hugs to you.

Robin xx

Offline LisaDX

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2012, 12:33:24 PM »
Today is the day! I'm envisioning a spectacular result, the kind my OS can write a book on! I'm surprisingly calm, probably because of the wonderful support I'm getting from my friends here! Love you all! I don't know if I'll be allowed to keep my iPad (aka lifeline), so if you don't hear from me till I get home, no worries. Will post when I can, otherwise I think I'll have a pretty full schedule!

See you on the flip side...
Lisa
2011 Diagnosed MS

Offline Dave258

• Regular Poster
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2012, 09:29:02 PM »
Don't know what time you were going in, but good luck!  Let us know how you are doing when you can.

Offline seerobinbike

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2012, 12:56:31 AM »
Thinking of you tonight Lisa and hoping everything went perfectly perfect today. 

Hugs, Robin

Offline LisaDX

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2012, 01:23:31 PM »
Surgery went well, I got a  femoral block without having to consult with all of my doctors. Very good idea! My OS was cautious about the PFJR being the best option for me, because of my age, but ultimately decided it was a good fit. In fact, she told my husband that I was an excellent candidate! I'm very glad, and will expect wonderful results.

Thank you all for your support! I'll keep you apprised on my progress!
2011 Diagnosed MS

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2012, 06:13:31 PM »
Congrats...Now do as your OS has instructed (wow...who am I to sat that..I never listen to anyone).  Ice as much as possible without over icing and elevate ALL THE TIME.  The swelling is what is going to make things most uncomfortable (it was for me at least!).  I know you had some cartilage work done also which is going to alter recovery but get up and moving as fast as you are allowed.  The sooner you start to use those new parts the faster they are going to start to feel better (no,  I don't mean tomorrow....you get the idea :) )  Don't be shocked if the replacement feels "odd" for a few months.  I have found it takes a little while for it to feel like it belongs to me.

Best of luck.  I really hope you have the same outcome as I have had.  My 2nd PFJR is really starting to feel like it's mine.  These replacements are amazing!

Karen
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2012, 07:57:56 PM »
Hi Lisa,

I'm so glad to hear things went so well.  I was thinking of you all day yesterday and hoping that you would post soon or have your son post for you.  Now comes the good part, feeling better each day until you are finished with recovery and back to your old self with a new (at least partially)knee and no pain.

Good healing and God bless :)

Linda
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline seerobinbike

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2012, 08:52:09 PM »
Yay Lisa!!! ;D 

So happy to hear from you and to hear that everything went well.  Glad that your doctor thought you were an excellent candidate.  That's exactly what the doctor told hubby regarding my knee replacement.  Thanks for checking in and I'm happy it's behind you.  Get ready for a whole new way of life.

Robin

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2012, 09:33:49 PM »
Glad to hear all went well and as planned! Here's hoping your recovery is the same.