Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Finally getting my PFJR!  (Read 15302 times)

Offline LisaDX

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Finally getting my PFJR!
« on: August 07, 2012, 09:19:34 PM »
After a long history of treatment for knee pain, from physical therapy to cortisone shots and Supartz injections to lateral release and chondroplasty, I'm finally scheduled for a shiny new patello femoral joint replacement on October 12.  I've been told that I'm virtually bone on bone in the patellofemoral compartment, so the PFJR seemed like an obvious choice.  However, on arthroscopy in December, they found a lesion in the medial compartment, which suggested that a TKR would be more effective.  Because the majority of my knee is in great shape, my OS has decided to do an OATS procedure on that lesion, while doing the PFJR.

I'm definitely ready for this surgery.  My OA has advanced so quickly (my OS compared MRI films from 2006 and 2010 and saw a decrease in articular cartilage of about 70% in only 5 years), and pain relief is rare.  I've been cleared by my neurologist (I've been recently diagnosed with MS) and my primary doctor is coordinating everyone who will be working on me!  I've heard nothing but good things about the OS who will be doing the surgery, and I feel very comfortable with the surgical plan.  I'll be adding a post-op thread when we get closer.
1975 Left Knee arthrotomy, no diagnosis
1984 Left Knee arthroscopy, no diagnosis
1987 Left Knee Lateral Release, successful
2007 Right Knee Lat. Release, unsuccessful
2011 chondromalacia patella, PF OA
        Arthroscopy, chondroplasty
2011 Diagnosed MS

Offline 15run

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Re: Finally getting my PFJR!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 11:27:43 PM »
hi LisaDX - will look forward to following your posts.  I have a similar combination of ruined bits and am trying to look at PFJR options.  and yours is in combination with OATS... in multiple surgeries?  Did you have any misalignment of the patella diagnosed prior to lateral release? 
I am shocked by the progression of your cartilage loss - although by my increase in symptoms i am sure i have had rather rapid deterioration as well and i've been looking to any possible way to slow down the inevitable.  I'd be interested to know who your OS is - as it sounds like you are in good hands.   I will have to travel to find an expert but I am prepared to do so at this stage.  Once you have a plan you can at least focus on the positive pain-free future.
2001 chondromalacia, xrays
synovisc, 2011 mri,

Offline LisaDX

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 12:14:43 AM »
I'll be having the PFJR and OATS at the same time. I originally was scheduled for a TTT last December, but they discovered that instability really wasn't my problem. Everything looked good as far as tracking, etc, but the arthritis was far worse than they had thought.  Cleaned everything up and tried to buy time before the replacement.  I guess 10 months is more than I had expected.  I'm seeing Dr. Arendt at the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis.  I was referred to her a year ago when my previous OS told me to research my treatment options, he was recommending a PFJR at that time, but hadn't done many.  Dr. Arendt has done many with very few complications, and I feel very confident with her treatment plan.
2011 Diagnosed MS

Offline 15run

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 01:56:34 AM »
I had sent Dr arendt my mri notes in May.  I should probably follow up.  Since I have to drive 4 hrs I was hoping she could tell if PFJR would be feasible for me.  I have no instability either - just extensive loss on  lateral patella, trochlea and facet and I really want there to be less severe options than TKR.  Just finding them is a full time job though. 
2001 chondromalacia, xrays
synovisc, 2011 mri,

Offline LisaDX

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 04:30:08 AM »
Definitely call over there. She's really busy and most often it takes 2 to 3 months to see her. Has your PCP referred you? It might help with scheduling.  I completely agree with avoiding the TKR, and I was pleasantly surprised when she suggested a PFJR with OATS would work.  Kind of uneasy about the OATS, but if it saves my knee, I'm there!  Just a thought: did you send the films or just the notes? If you don't have them, definitely get a copy, at least for your records. I've got a huge file! Good luck!
2011 Diagnosed MS

Offline Dave258

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 10:33:47 PM »
Lisa, just in case I miss you before you go into surgery, good luck!  Hopefully after we can compare our notes of success!
Dave

Offline LisaDX

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 04:16:23 AM »
I was evaluated by a new PT, who congratulated me on keeping up with my rehab work. He said that the muscles in my right leg are looking great, especially since MS has caused so much weakness. He thinks that if I keep up with my "prehab" work, it will make my post op much better. I still don't have an answer about how the OATS will affect that, but have an email out to my OS and will hopefully know within the week. It won't change my decision about the surgery, but I do like to have all the information I can beforehand!
2011 Diagnosed MS

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 12:22:05 AM »
Hi Lisa,

Isn't it great to have the end of all this in sight!  Glad to hear that your MS is not interfering with surgery plans.  Hopefully having less than a month to go will lower the stress you have been dealing with-all the uncertainty of last summer-and your MS will improve each day as you move toward the big day.   With your prehab going so well, hopefully you will sail through all of this and have one of those post-op diaries that everyone uses as an example of everything going right.

Linda :)
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline LisaDX

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 01:30:27 AM »
Thanks, Linda! From your lips to God's ears! I feel pretty confident. Not so great today with traveling (road trip to the east coast to look at colleges with my son). Really behind on my stretching, etc. Home on Saturday, so I'll have almost 2 weeks to get back before the big day.
2011 Diagnosed MS

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 12:32:26 AM »
Another milestone-the college hunt roadtrip.  Don't you just wonder what you are doing with such old children?  Have a safe and happy trip ( and hopefully find some scholarship money at the school he likes best).

right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline LisaDX

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 02:06:02 AM »
Oh no, he's not old, he's precocious! I have a feeling my kids are responsible for all my knee pain. Chasing after 3 boys... What do you think? Visit was ok today, didn't see the clarinet professor, who was the one professor he wanted to see. Hugely successful music conservatory, hard to decide without seeing everyone.  We'll see, I suppose.
2011 Diagnosed MS

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 12:55:34 AM »
And I can blame it on my parents- wonderful people, but both of them with different arthritis.  Mom with osteo and fibromyalgia, Dad with rheumatoid and Sjogrens. I got some of each.   By the time I had arthritis hit my girls were almost out of High School, so they helped me rather than me running after them.

How great to hear you have a musician.  Here in Appleton, WI we have Lawrence University which is known nationally for its music program.  If the east doesn't pan out, you can always look west!

right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline LisaDX

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 02:55:08 AM »
Funny, we were just talking about Lawrence! When my son was in state honor orchestra, the conductor was a professor from Lawrence. He's actually looking more at conservatories for his masters in performance, but does have two universities he's considering, East Carolina University and Ohio State. Great teachers, which is his main concern.
2011 Diagnosed MS

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 04:42:15 PM »
What a coincidence!  To already have a tie to Lawrence.  A good teacher is the key to being the best in your field, someone who is not just excellent themselves, but can identify the strengths and weaknesses of their student and help them bring out their best.  I hope that one or the other school's clarinet guy will be that special teacher for your son.

I expect you are home by today.  I've been crazy busy this week with homecoming and to add to the busyness, parent conferences, so I was slow to respond.  You are really in the final countdown.  I expect you are about ready to go into the cleaning frenzy that seems to always precede a surgery.  Take it easy.  Nobody is planning to eat off your floors, so just be kind to yourself-spend some time taking care of the fun things like a nice hair cut or a trip to the mall.  You deserve it.

Take care.

right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline LisaDX

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 09:12:07 PM »
Yes, I survived the trip! My son has two solid offers, one from North Carolina and the other from Ohio State. I think he was happy with the trip, really able to narrow down exactly what he's looking for and made some valuable contacts. Worth it all around! I'm getting ready to prepare meals for when I'm down. Really don't want fast food if I'm playing with pain meds! I'm pretty confident, and have been working on channeling Millie, Karen, Linda and Robin for positive recovery! I'm at 12 days and counting!
2011 Diagnosed MS

support