Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee Release  (Read 761 times)

Offline silverghost

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Knee Release
« on: August 07, 2012, 04:01:10 PM »
Hi all!

Just wondering if anyone can advise....

My consultant last week said that my surgeries have gone well but he is not happy after 8 weeks with the bend in my knee.  Its currently about 80-90 degrees.  He advised that if this does not improve within the next 4-5 weeks then I will be back in for surgery to release it.

After all the work I have had done I thought this bend would be good at this stage but he stated that if it can't improve now it will seize without help..  I have ramped up the physio, sliding and bending and then icing but this just causes more swelling on the in and outside of the knee and locks it more.

Has anyone any ideas how I can get more bend, what percentage the consultant would be looking for or has anyone had a release and can advise on what this means, how it works and pain levels after?

cheers all for your advice ??? 
'96 ACL reconstruction
'09 Arthroscopy/cartilage repair
Diagnosed with Grade 4 OA no medial cartilage and significant varus alignment
'11 fitted with off loading knee brace
'12 HTO, meniscus transplant, acl reconstruction & microfracture all in 1 go!

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: Knee Release
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 04:29:31 PM »
Try searching here under MUA (Manipulation under Anaesthetic) as I believe that is what your surgeon is intending to do. It breaks up any scar tissue that may have built up and frees the knee to bend more.

It does not hurt and there is no risk of you sub-consciously tensing/fighting the flexing as you are unconscious. The procedure does not hurt as the flexing (manipulation) is done quite gently. My physiotherapist was actually in the theatre when mine was done to assist the consultant by saying where the blocking occurred.

I've had the procedure several times over the years and each time it has helped me gain more flex. I have also been "threatened" with them which usually has had me working like a beast to avoid the process. Both approaches got the results the consultant wanted! In one, he did the work and in the other I did it, either way my flex improved rapidly! ;D

Sue  ;)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline silverghost

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 08:04:31 PM »
Thanks Sue

That's put me a little at ease I guess the threats are just because they know you dont want to go back into hospital!

I take it its just a day procedure then when you had it?

thank you
'96 ACL reconstruction

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 08:12:48 PM »
Yep in and out again and back to physio the same day even once! Here in Germany I have had 2  both of which were during an intensive in-patient rehab centre and I was back on my feet and in the training room the same evening. And seriously, I am not some kind of iron-woman who does not feel pain! I am a grade A state-approved wimp, so it did not hurt enough to let me skive off in bed!   :'(  ;D
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline silverghost

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 09:27:36 PM »
Thanks sue

But remember there are Grade A state approved wimps and then there are us men! You have to make allowances for gender in this case at least..

Its amazing to see how much work people on this site have had over the years and just what pain barriers people have to break through...  I wish when you were born there was a guidance system so you could prevent these things in life although you would probably never do anything then!?

Thanks for your advice i will work to try to avoid the revisit but you have reassured me if i have to go in..

:o
'96 ACL reconstruction

support