Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MPFL & Physiotherapy  (Read 3789 times)

Offline natasha1905

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MPFL & Physiotherapy
« on: August 07, 2012, 02:22:33 PM »
Hi Everyone

I am 17 days post op (MPFL reconstruction using my hamstring and Arthroscopy for a lateral release and tightening at either side of my knee). I am curious after reading a lot of posts that a lot of people have already starting having some type of physiotherapy. I am due to have my follow up appointment with my surgeon on the 13th Aug which depending on his verdict will depend on when I start having physio. Is this normal?
When I got discharged from the hospital they told me I should try to bend my knee in my own time but apart from this I havent been given any exercises to do. I guess I am just getting worried that i should be doing more.

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
Re: MPFL & Physiotherapy
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 02:56:35 PM »
It completely depends on the surgeon and his/her protocol. Early on, whether in PT or not, the focus is on bending your knee mostly anyways. So, I’d really be working on that if those are your instructions. It’s easy to question, but still is always best to follow your Surgeons protocol.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline natasha1905

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 03:10:10 PM »
Thanks for the reply! I am just working away on my own with the bending and straightening but with nothing to compare my progress to its hard to know if I should be doing more or if I should be further on in my recovery. Monday should provide all these answers anyway :)

Offline emm10161301

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 04:05:38 PM »
Hey, don't worry I had the same done as you on both my knees, and wasn't given braces or anything. My physio didn't arrive till day 37 post op. So I wouldn't worry. The best thing to do is put a plastic bag under your foot as you sit on the sofa, chair or edge of the bed and slide it back and forward it will help your foot move with a lot more ease and slowly loosens the knee. Took me ages to get them both bending and even now I'm 48 days past my op my left doesn't bend 100% its a long recovery but it'll be worth it in the end :) good luck!!
2002-2012 regular dislocations of both knees, tried everything from braces and casts to physio.
June 2012 MPFL surgery on both knees

Offline natasha1905

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 04:53:35 PM »
omg both knees!! how did you cope!!! are you back on your feet now?

I wasnt prepared for how i am feeling now and I guess how slow the recovery is. One day will be really good and I can get some bend in my knee and the next day i am in agony and cant move off the sofa. I know everyone keeps saying it is worth it in the end but not too sure with how i am feeling now!!

Thats a really good idea to try the heel slides, I can only go so far then my knee just stiffens so maybe this will help get me a bit further.

thanks for the advice :)

Offline emm10161301

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 09:03:17 PM »
I know everyone says I'm crazy !! But I'm up on my feet and walking. The bends are awful but it just takes u to be strict with yourself, ice is amazing as you do the slides just when u feel pain hold an icepack on the point where its worst and push yourself that few miliemeters more. Its worth it :) and yea I was the same saying not sure if this was worth it but see now I've progressed to crutches, I'd say it was. I even managed to help lay the table tonight :)
2002-2012 regular dislocations of both knees, tried everything from braces and casts to physio.

Offline natasha1905

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 01:29:32 PM »
wow you are doing so good and seem so positive!!! i am jealous!!! :)

I have been using a cyro cuff which I think has helped loads with the swelling and general condition of my knee but i have never tried icing while trying to bend so ill give that a go to see if i can get it moving any further.

I also have a wedding tomorrow which to be honest i am dreading, a full day on my crutches and I know I will just get really frustrated at myself! Roll on Xmas time where I am bound to be back to normal lol

Offline emm10161301

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 02:59:43 PM »
O I'm sure that'll be tough, take every opportunity to sit that you can even if you aren't tired lol, you're lucky I didn't get a cuff :( and I try to stay positive but honestly inside I'm going why me! I'm hoping to be up and walking soon enough, I accidently took 2 steps last night with out my crutches and not even thinking about it and panicked after I realised, so there's hope :) have a good time at the wedding :D

Offline Xeplasma

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 07:14:41 PM »
Hi Natasha!
I'm new here too, had MPFL surgery on 7/31. It is amazing how different the protocols can be from one OS to the next.
Wow Emm for the steps without crutches( I thought you were the person sent home without crutches, I stand corrected, I'm pretty sure I read something along these lines from someone here before). That's a good sign that you were able to do it. Then I think it becomes a matter of trust. I don't know for how long anymore that I have not trusted my legs. Even if they work perfectly fine in the future, I can't see myself standing any closer than my usual 2m from the edge of a cliff for example. I've been teased about that in the past but if my knees suddenly give, I'd rather fall the short distance of my height than several hundred meters down thank you. :)
Do any of you have any tricks to get out of bed by yourself? I still need some help to bring my leg down, especially since my bed is quite high.

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 08:21:42 PM »
Even if they work perfectly fine in the future, I can't see myself standing any closer than my usual 2m from the edge of a cliff for example. I've been teased about that in the past but if my knees suddenly give, I'd rather fall the short distance of my height than several hundred meters down thank you. :)

Anyone with unstable knee’s gets this… BUT! I just want to give all of you recent MPFLr’s something to look forward to. This feeling of over caution does pass… without ever realizing it.

For me it was always: Watch every step on the stairs. Stare at the ground/feet as I walk around corner… etc. At almost 11 months post op; I do not guard hardly at all. I almost never look down at the ground in front of me anymore. You’ll complain about a lot of things along the way in recovery… But stability will not be one of them.  ;)
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline emm10161301

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 01:44:53 AM »
For the bed question, I used bigfluffy socks and held the top o the sock and lowerd the legs. Also taking ur. Good. LEg and tucking it under anduse it as a support.andlower it down that way. Appolgies the other haveis trying to sleeP and phone keypad isnoisey so poor puntuation!

Offline Xeplasma

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 01:22:43 AM »
This is VERY encouraging Ally!! Looking forward to getting that feeling of stability!
Thanks for the tips  Emm! Right now, I have just been holding the bottom front strap of my brace to lift my leg. I have been using my left knee too underneath my right but my bed is quite high which makes going down a bit( very ) challenging.

Offline Ouchy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 10:59:14 AM »

Hi everyone,

I'm having a MPFLr done on my right knee next Tuesday (August 21st) and I am so nervous. I don't want to get too excited about it in case something goes wrong or it doesn't work as well as I'm hoping!

Were you all in a lot of pain afterwards? What sort of pain meds did you have to take? The variety of physio seems a bit confusing, I have no idea when I'm going to start getting mine afterwards. How soon were you all able to start bending your knee at all after? They've told me I won't be allowed to leave hospital until I can start to bend it and weight bear, is that normal?

Sorry about all the questions, I'm starting to get all flustered about it  :-\

Thanks,

Claire
2001-2010 - Multiple dislocations of both patellas
October 2010 - R patella dislocation during first aid training!
June 2011 - R arthroscopy with lateral release & debridement
August 2012 - R MPFLr

Offline emm10161301

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 05:35:53 PM »
Hi claire :)

Firstly good luck with your surgery. I'm sure it will go well and you'll have nothing to worry about!.
Secondly. I'm not gonna lie, it is painful. But I was put on morphine, paracetamol, codine, and tramadol.
The tablets don' rid the pain as such but the pain won't bother you as such. You just don't care about it lol

ICE ICE and more ICE is amazing! They soothe the best. Even ask a nurse in hospital they have ice packs.

Fluffy socks are good and good sturdy non lace shoes for when you get up and walking. Breathe threw any pain when bending. It took me a good while to get bends and my left still isn't perfect. I'm 54 days past mine so if that helps to judge. How far on? I have a diary online mpfl and lr on both knees 20th june. I have all my progress from day 11 to now. It has more detail on meds, physio and how my bending progressed.

Keep us updated on how it goes and good luck :) you'll be great and its worth it :D

Offline franny

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 06:01:40 PM »
Hi Claire

Ditto Emm.  :)

I'm 6 weeks post MPFL Recon. Bend not perfect but pain is not too bad. For me it seems to be a bit of a long slog but others seem to have recovered quicker. I am pretty mobile though, just the bend and swelling that are still causing problems.

Emm is right, pain for the irst weekish post surgery is bad but tramadol is wonderful stuff and the morphine in the hospital is pretty good too.
The really bad pain passes then it's just trying to keep onwards and upwards.

If this operation works it will have been a small price to pay for a stable knee! Until I have the next one done  ;)

Good luck & keep us posted.

F
x

Bendy Childhood
1999 - Dislocation R Knee-cap
2002- dislocation L knee-cap & arthroscopy
Many subluxations & instability in both knees
2008- gave birth to daughter, PGP, subluxation and instability following birth
2010- dislocation L knee-cap
2011- EDS III diagnosis 
02/07/12- MPFL Reconstruction

support