Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: "Creaking Door" Symptoms in Knee Following Meniscus Transplant/Micfracture  (Read 1214 times)

Offline sarahmw

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi there, I am 21 years old and I had a meniscus transplant and microfracture procedure on July 12th.  I have been very diligent with using the CPM machine as required and staying off of it completely (doc said no weight bearing for first 6-8 weeks). 

All was well until I decided to go on a short stroll with my dad yesterday (I was not putting any weight, just crutching).  We went about 1/4 of a mile, and then we sat down at a bench where I had the surgery knee bent (probably about 30-45 degrees) for about 15-20 minutes.  I stood up and noticed my foot was full of fluid, and a couple hours later I noticed my knee was creaking like a door in need of lubrication.  The knee itself swelled even worse than before, and when I visited my PT, she didn't give me any definite answers. 

Does anybody know if symptoms like these are common following such a large procedure?  Or if it could possibly be a sign that the transplant has shifted out of place? It has only been one day so maybe I am jumping the gun a bit here, but the noise is VERY audible and quite worrying  ??? ??? ???

Any sort of help would be great! Thanks a bunch.

Offline silverghost

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Hi sarah

Firstly don't worry!!  I have the same at moment and whenever I go for a short walk, about the same as you, the swelling goes mad all down my leg and foot and i'm 2 months down the line now.

I was worried about mine when this was happening but the swelling is a natural reaction if youve been keeping weight off your leg. Dont forget you will have lost quite a bit of muscle tone through the surgery and therefore any weight you put on that leg at the moment will induce swelling.

You are really early days on this and like myself not sure on meniscus transplant and how it will work.  Apparently from what ive heard only if you hear a loud pop or snap will mean there is damage to anything so don't worry too much at moment!

Anyway you take care keep up the exercises its a long process but hopefully we can both get through it!!!

'96 ACL reconstruction
'09 Arthroscopy/cartilage repair
Diagnosed with Grade 4 OA no medial cartilage and significant varus alignment
'11 fitted with off loading knee brace
'12 HTO, meniscus transplant, acl reconstruction & microfracture all in 1 go!