Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Femoral Rotational Osteotomy for Femoral Anteversion  (Read 6398 times)

Offline Charlie23

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Femoral Rotational Osteotomy for Femoral Anteversion
« on: August 03, 2012, 09:07:54 PM »
I am due to have a femoral rotational osteotomy some time next month for femoral anteversion.
Has anyone had this surgery done who can tell me what to expect and answer some questions I have about it.
Thank you  :)

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 24
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
Re: Femoral Rotational Osteotomy for Femoral Anteversion
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 10:39:47 PM »
I had derotation of the femur and tibia almost 3 years ago. It's a big surgery for sure, and it takes a while to fully recover, but I am much better now than I was prior to surgery and consider it to be a success in my case. I am able to do any activity I want and don't worry about my knee anymore. I can answer questions if you like.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline Charlie23

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 05:25:25 PM »
Thank you for replying.
I understand our operations might take different amounts of time, but how long was your operation?
Did you have a plaster cast?
Did you have a catheter put in during surgery?
How long was it until you were out of bed and able to get to a toilet?
For how long (if at all) were you in a wheelchair?
Did you have to keep your leg elevated for a certain amount of time after? If so, how long for?
How painful did you find it during the recovery process?
How old were you when you had this done? I am nineteen.

I am having the operation on one leg in September and then the other leg done in January/February.

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 09:10:27 PM »
My surgery was 6 hours long. It did include 3 osteotomies at the same time. My doctor is doing the same surgery in about half the time now. It really does depends on the doctor. For a femoral derotation only, I would say to expect nothing less than 1-1.5 hours now.

I did not have a cast. I had internal fixation with a plate. Some doctors use a rod instead, but really the medical literature that I have read supports using a plate for the fixation. I was not in a wheelchair and would venture to say that unless you are having this procedure done bilaterally, a wheelchair would be the farthest thing from my mind. I was on crutches with a 20# weight bearing restriction.

I had a spinal anesthetic and so yes, I had a catheter. I woke up with it in, and had it removed within a few hours of waking. I was on the toilet within a few hours of waking, but it takes a bit to get the pipes working right after the catheter.

I was up and moving around on the crutches as one of the first things to be done once settled in my room. The doctor first came in to the recovery room and had me bending my leg and then I was moved to my room where the physical therapist came in and did exercises and got me moving on the crutches.

My post-op instructions for the week we very simple. I was to bend my knee doing these "cannonball" stretches every hour during the waking hours. I had exercises to do 3-4 times per day including leg extensions, straight leg raises, quad set sets, and hamstring curls. When I wasn't exercising, stretching or sleeping, I was to rest with the leg elevated with nothing but air under the knee. I had a cryo-cuff machine to use on the knee and I used regular ice packs on the femur.

I pretty much spent my time either sleeping, elevating, or doing the stretches and exercises and just walking around on the crutches to keep things moving. The first week was kind of rough in that sense, but it was also easy because I knew exactly what I was supposed to do and what was expected of me.

After 1 week, I started on the stationary bike and continued with the crutches until 6 weeks when I was given the ok to weight bear. After that first week, my doctor relaxed on the strict elevation rules, but I still continued to elevate as there was still quite a bit of swelling.

I was 28 when I had the surgery. The pain is as you would expect. I mean, it is surgery, it hurts. They are cuttinig your bone in half and spinning it around. That said, my pain was never so bad I couldn't take it. I kept expecting the pain to get worse, but it never did. I took only oral meds and was off them completely after I think 5 days, at which point I took only Tylenol as necessary. The key, at least for me, was to keep moving and not stay too long in one position to get stiff. Stiff was bad, but moving was good. My doctor is a big advocate for keeping things moving and based on my experience, he is spot on that not only does it help with the pain, but it also aids in speeding up the recovery. I felt much more in control of my rehab because I felt like I was actively doing things to help myself. Mentally it kept me in a more positive state of mind.
Mar '07 - plica excision
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline Charlie23

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 11:13:46 PM »
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions!
Just one more question... how big is your scar on your thigh? Is it noticeable and have you found any products which help it to fade faster?
Thanks!

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 03:47:26 AM »
Hehe, the good old scar question. My scar is about 8 inches in length. The staples made more of a scar than the incision, but I mean, it is an 8 inch incision, it is noticeable. If i wear short shorts, it can be be seen a little. Bathing suit it can most definitely be seen. If you saw the plate that came out of my leg, you will see why the scar is so big. That said, my incision is very straight and healed quite nicely. It doesn't show in my normal clothing, and I'm not one to wear very short sorts often, so no I don't notice it. People of course notice my tibial incision but can't really see the femoral incision.

I would recommend using vitamin e on the incision to keep it from getting dry and peeling. Massage is good to help with scarring. It was recommended to me to use an ointment like mederma I think it is called? I bought it but I didn't use it. I'm not one to worry much about the scars, although I will be honest, sometimes on those few (I stress few) occasions I actually wear a dress, I do get a little conscious of my tibial incision. Something about being all dressed up that I become vain about my scar.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 03:50:53 AM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision